Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with the car when on vacation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, if your close to the airport, Uber not only for the reason of charge and leaving it unplugged for future weather concerns as weather changes constantly, but door dings and other extraneous unknown concerns. Safer at home unplugged perhaps? View the charge like every three days if you must. Not being able to plug into even 110, I'm sorry that must be painful. The way we live with our Tesla's, a true patriot. Get a 90% charge before you leave somewhere. If nothing else it will relieve your conscience and you can be on VACATION.

I am going away on vacation for 2 weeks. I had planned to drive to the airport (JFK) and leave the car in long term parking lot. I just realised that this might not be possible due to battery loss (especially in the cold). I don't have charging at home. Any suggestions?
Thoughts thus far are to entrust the car to a trusted friends (not many friends in my new home and none trusted)
Leave at work and beg them to let me stay plugged in (maybe to 110V) over the 2 weeks
Risk it draining down and call Tesla if it's dead
Find an outlet in long term parking.

This seems like a pretty common situation, if Tesla hasn't addressed it.. they need to!

Last edited:
It's pretty frustrating. I just returned from an eight-day trip where the car was garaged here in Southern California and I lost 110 miles of range while parked in a SoCal garage
Hmmm. That seems too high. I only lose about 3 miles per day parked in southern california. But then I don't check very often; maybe once per week. I think that checking wakes things up and might cost you an extra mile or two? (In 8 days recently, I lost 26 miles.)

Do you have ANY other apps that track your drive statistics? ANYTHING other than the tesla app? If unsure, change your password on your tesla app (to invalidate the token) and only log back into the tesla app, no other tracking app. In the short time I have read here, it appears that some of those apps drain the battery more than others.

Others need specific settings to ensure the car goes to deep sleep. If your car is draining that much, its likely its not going to deep sleep (again by reading here.... I just got my model 3 performance today.

No other apps whatsoever. I specifically avoided apps like TeslaFi because I had read that their polling of the vehicle wakes it up. It doesn't hurt to change the password though so I have just done that.

The only other thing that may be different from the folks not affected by this is that my vehicle is garaged in an underground parking structure at home and work. I do get AT&T coverage in both places and streamign music still works. At the home garage, the bandwidth is reduced and my phone strugges to make a Facetime call for example. Maybe this is contributing?

Haha. Well, I think it would be at about 50% when he got back and he could just stop at the supercharger at the airport and charge it up a bit if he needs more range than that
Have you ever tried to use the supercharger at JFK? Seriously, why make your life more difficult? When I land at the airport from a trip I just want to get home. If it’s not necessary to take the time to get through traffic to a supercharger and charge there if you charge your car at home sufficiently before you leave, then why do it? You’ve paid for a 310 mile range battery. You don’t need to be afraid to use it. As an early Model S owner who charged every night to 90% (and 100% for trips) with no ill effect, I just don’t get why Model 3 owners are so concerned about the battery. Chill out and enjoy your car.

Have you ever tried to use the supercharger at JFK? Seriously, why make your life more difficult? When I land at the airport from a trip I just want to get home. If it’s not necessary to take the time to get through traffic to a supercharger and charge there if you charge your car at home sufficiently before you leave, then why do it? You’ve paid for a 310 mile range battery. You don’t need to be afraid to use it. As an early Model S owner who charged every night to 90% (and 100% for trips) with no ill effect, I just don’t get why Model 3 owners are so concerned about the battery. Chill out and enjoy your car.

We (new model 3 owner who just took delivery yesterday) dont have the experience you have. I am very new to tesla but not new to car forums, being a pretty active participant of 2 major BMW forums. This cycle repeats itself there as well, with the same things being asked repeatedly, veteran posters getting annoyed, etc.

I am pretty sure that early model S owners went through this same cycle. We also know that the batteries in the Model 3 are "different" from model S and X.

I am trying to avoid the posting pitfalls that you are talking about, and in major "knowledge gathering" mode.... but I have NOT been reading the model S part of these forums because I dont have a model S and I dont know how much of what happened there is relevant.

I also normally lease cars in this price range, but was not able to lease this model 3 so I had to buy it.. and put a very sizable downpayment (well north of 50%). I am now "married" to this car for the next few years, and want to make sure I dont "mess it up". I know allll about BMWs but nothing relatively about tesla other than what I have learned here the past couple weeks.

Just from being here the short time I have been, I can tell that you are a poster with a lot of knowledge on EVs and are a veteran EV / Tesla driver. Hopefully we can continue to benefit from your knowledge on the topics, and get up to speed on how all this works.

Thanks for contributing and trying to help us relax.

Reactions: Jivas and Dana1
I just got back from the third visit to the local Tesla service center regarding phantom drain. They told me yet again that a mile an hour of loss of range is within limits. They said that engineering will refuse to look at the logs until I've reached at least a 5000 miles and performed a few drains of the battery down to 10% before charging back up to 90%. They said it all down to the battery needing to calibrated itself.

In between the second and third service center visit, I spoke with a mobile ranger [took 12 days to get a return call] who said that he can't help but the loss of range is not normal and that I needed to go to a service center.

It's pretty frustrating. I just returned from an eight-day trip where the car was garaged here in Southern California and I lost 110 miles of range while parked in a SoCal garage. I've got a 21-day trip coming up and I have no confidence that the battery will not be flat when I return. I've seen a loss as high as 1 mile per hour in the past so there was a slight improvement during the last trip where it was about 13 miles of loss a day.

One last thing, the mobile Ranger said that opening the app does not impact the battery in any measurable way. The consensus though it seems that it does. I'd love to have the official word from Tesla.

M3P+

In Southern California, this level of drain is not normal. This may be a case where your car is not going to sleep for some reason. Might be worth getting an app temporarily that can tell you what is going on in this case, on a trial basis, since the service center is not helpful.

Normal is 2-4 miles per day if battery does not need to be thermally managed. With our temperatures this is likely not a problem.

For watts - around 12W give or take is normal for sleep mode. (About mile per day.)

For idle it can be 150W or more (that is about 0.6 mi/hr) . The duration and frequency of idle periods has not been determined - I have seen data showing them to be as long as 5 hours in some cases. But that would result in a lot of vampire drain loss (at least 3 miles for a single such event).

So on average vehicles tend to get about 3-4 miles of drain per day, depending on how much they are in idle mode.

You should definitely work out a 1 mph drain problem if it is consistently occurring. As mentioned above, it appears that when idle mode engages for a long time, it is possible to see this level of drain for a short period. But not 24 miles per day! 13 miles per day is also not normal.

So if you really are seeing 24 miles per day loss, diagnose it yourself (probably Tesla won’t be able to) and then have them fix it.

If they tell you again it is normal at the service center, it is reasonable to be insistent that they are incorrect. Escalate to a manager. Maybe have them do a hard reset (I am not sure what that entails, but apparently some people have had it done for battery state of charge issues and it fixed things).

Reactions: MaryAnning3
For watts - around 12W give or take is normal for sleep mode. (About mile per day.)

For idle it can be 150W or more (that is about 0.6 mi/hr) . The duration and frequency of idle periods has not been determined - I have seen data showing them to be as long as 5 hours in some cases.
Thanks for the great post!!
Why do cars idle? Why not sleep more? What determines idle frequency or duration?

Thanks for the great post!!
Why do cars idle? Why not sleep more? What determines idle frequency or duration?

No one knows (that I am aware of). (EDIT: Except Tesla, of course.) Here's a slightly different dataset showing sleep mode can actually be even lower than I quote above. But idle mode appears to be around 100W at least. There is data elsewhere showing that it can be higher for some users.

Idle Battery Drain

Obviously there are a lot of threads around on this general topic, as it is something that a lot of people notice and it can create some inconvenience in certain situations.

Last edited:
No one knows (that I am aware of). Here's a slightly different dataset showing sleep mode can actually be even lower than I quote above. But idle mode appears to be around 100W at least. There is data elsewhere showing that it can be higher for some users.
So if a car never slept, then that would be about 2.4 kW-hours per day? Out of a 75 kWh battery, i guess that is about 3% loss per day?

So if a car never slept, then that would be about 2.4 kW-hours per day? Out of a 75 kWh battery, i guess that is about 3% loss per day?

Yes, based on available data. 3% or about 10 rated miles. That's a minimum for a car that never leaves idle mode - as you can see from other users, there are idle mode periods which can draw more than 100W average for whatever reason, so the number could be higher.

This is one of the reasons that poorly written 3rd-party apps can cause so much difficulty - they (perhaps) prevent the car from sleeping. But there are perhaps other situations where the car will not sleep.

• Love
Yes, based on available data. 3% or about 10 rated miles. That's a minimum for a car that never leaves idle mode - as you can see from other users, there are idle mode periods which can draw more than 100W average for whatever reason, so the number could be higher.

This is one of the reasons that poorly written 3rd-party apps can cause so much difficulty - they (perhaps) prevent the car from sleeping. But there are perhaps other situations where the car will not sleep.
Really appreciate your posts!

Does anybody know what the Supercharger is like at SFO? Is it crowded? Difficult to get too? What is your experience like there?
If you are parking at SFO, I recommend ParkSFO, an indpendent long term parking lot. If you valet park and request it, they will have your car charged upon your return. Round trip from Aptos should be no problem, even with vampire drain if you have a Model 3 LR and start with 90%. If you are heading back to Aptos and think you need some extra charge, I would recommend the San Mateo Bridgepointe Supercharger.

• Informative

I just came back from a 5 day trip. The weather has been pretty cold here in the Toronto area, 0C or 32F.

I left the car with 80% SOC. When I returned it had 68% SOC. 12% loss over 5 days.

I didn't know to leave the Tesla app alone, so I can say I connected 3 times.

I was surprised it lost so much. Next time, I will leave the app alone and see the results.

Vin

Reactions: Semper Yut
If you are parking at SFO, I recommend ParkSFO, an indpendent long term parking lot. If you valet park and request it, they will have your car charged upon your return. Round trip from Aptos should be no problem, even with vampire drain if you have a Model 3 LR and start with 90%. If you are heading back to Aptos and think you need some extra charge, I would recommend the San Mateo Bridgepointe Supercharger.
Thanks!

I just came back from a 5 day trip. The weather has been pretty cold here in the Toronto area, 0C or 32F.

I left the car with 80% SOC. When I returned it had 68% SOC. 12% loss over 5 days.

I didn't know to leave the Tesla app alone, so I can say I connected 3 times.

I was surprised it lost so much. Next time, I will leave the app alone and see the results.

Vin
Very helpful! Did you end up testing again? I am leaving my car at the Denver airport here soon and was worried about loss of power. Additional note, I have never owned a Tesla and pick mine up on Saturday... So I haven't even sat in the thing yet.