Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to expect from my refresh S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pick up my Plaid next Tuesday. I had a few questions coming from other Tesla vehicles.

* Performance- With Ludicrous mode you had to turn on the battery heater and wait for “optimal performance.” I know the Plaid is much less prone to diminished performance based on SOC. Do you still need to wait for the battery to warm up to get peak performance? (Obviously not talking about winter, just a normal day.)

* High Beams/Wipers- I never had any issues with my high beams on my ‘14 S, and while the wipers weren’t great they weren’t terrible. Now my Model Y is laughably bad. The high beams and wipers more or less do what they want when they want. I assume since it is all vision based I can expect an experience closer to the Model Y?

Refresh Model S has a dedicated rain sensor for the automatic wipers so you won't have an issue.

I would say you have 85-90% of peak performance without preheating battery but in mild weather it only takes 10-20 minutes to preheat.

Auto high beams are the same though, so they are pretty bad.

Boo… I was happy to hear they went with a dedicated rain sensor. Sounds like that may not be the case.

Didn’t the older Model S have a rain sensor, but Tesla didn’t utilize it? I thought that was what I read about my 2014. The hardware was there, but Tesla used the AP camera instead. That being said, both auto headlights and wipers were fine in my ‘14. (Not as good as ‘other’ cars, but fine.) The Model Y is laughably bad, and the high beams being automatically engaged when using AP is annoying since they are so bad.

I went from an AP1 car to a Plaid and the auto wipers are much worse so I assumed the the Plaid still used the Ap2+ vision silliness for the wipers.
That contradicts what @pengy said about the rain sensor in the refresh S, but I’m guessing you’re correct. If Tesla had reintroduced the rain sensor I would have been discussed in the forums and elsewhere.
Didn’t the older Model S have a rain sensor, but Tesla didn’t utilize it? I thought that was what I read about my 2014. The hardware was there, but Tesla used the AP camera instead.
I don’t think that’s right. The rain sensor was there and utilized, but Tesla removed it when they introduced HW2. From what I recall, auto wipers didn’t work at all when HW2 was introduced but Tesla eventually resolved that. Teslas didn’t have AP cameras before October 2014 or thereabouts.