TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What to expect living/frequenting areas with no cell reception & poor GPS signal

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by roguenode, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. roguenode

roguenode Member

I'm wondering what may not work in the model 3 if you live where the is no cell connectivity and very poor GPS signal and also travel to areas with similar connectivity issues.

I have a family member with a model S 100D and noticed the main display map does not display the roads and sat images when driving to my location. Of course, the cell phone app is also ineffective when there isn't any internet access. A side effect of the unmarked mountain roads in my area is that EAP will be essentially useless.

Any other considerations with Tesla ownership in this situation in general or specific to the model 3 anyone can think of? The car should be able to join my home Wifi network for connectivity when in the driveway.

2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

The main two things you lose in the Model S when out of cell range are the maps display and music streaming. I'm curious how Nav will work in the 3, because in the S even though the center display stops showing roads, the Nav display in the instrument cluster still does.

3. roguenode

roguenode Member

Thanks gregincal, I forgot that the center display in the S (X too perhaps) is based off of a different map than the main display and does work when cellular signal is lost. With no binnacle in the model 3, that won't be an option.

It occurs to me that I'll also need to default to using the key card to enter the car in quite a few places I go.

4. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

I believe the app for the Model 3 primarily uses Bluetooth LE (Hopefully version 5.0)for access, and probably other features. Details i think we need to learn more about still. WIFI is probably only when you want to do something very remote, like when your miles away from your car.

The Cars inernet will be Intel 5G per Teslanomics for the streaming service and other infotainment stuff. There will be a monthly fee im sure after a year....another revenue stream.
    Tesla Model 3 (and others) Will Uses Intel for 5G