Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to expect when you're expecting (Australia Delivery Process)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of newcomers who are unfamiliar with the Tesla delivery process. I thought I'd document what I've learnt over the last 9 months of waiting. I hope this helps people avoid having to read the 700+ pages on the "Australian Model 3/Y Waiting Room" thread :)
  1. Customer order is placed
    1. Tesla account and order page are provisioned (your RN number is your order)
    2. SMS received "Hi $PERSON, Welcome to the Tesla Family!"
    3. EDD on the order page shows "6 to 9 months" or some month range "Aug-Nov 2022"
  2. Order is prepped in Tesla systems
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your registration document is now ready to complete"
  3. Tesla builds quarterly, so now you must wait for the next quarterly build
    1. Note: build schedule is decided by Tesla manufacturing planners, inventory is not build-to-order
  4. Every vehicle receives a VIN once it physically exists
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Final Invoice is now available"
    2. You will now see a final invoice on your order page
  5. VINs are assigned to customer orders (e.g. a VIN is matched to your RN number), this seems to occur while vehicles are waiting to be shipped
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: A Model 3 has been assigned to your order."
    2. You can now find the VIN in your order page (if it didn't appear already), or the API: https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/oxp-bff-api/user-orders
  6. Now you wait while the vehicles are shipped to their port of entry
    1. Vedaprime etc. can help with tracking the shipments
    2. EDD is now narrowed down to a date range (e.g. 7-22 September)
  7. Vehicles are unloaded at port of entry, clear customs, and are entered into the RAV database
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Model 3 delivery is approaching"
    2. You can now find your vehicle by looking up the VIN in the RAV database: Register of Approved Vehicles Search - My ASP.NET Application
  8. Vehicles are scheduled for transport to customer delivery location
    1. EDD may keep adjusting slightly according to transport schedule and other contingencies
    2. Once a firm date exists, you get the final SMS: "Your Model 3 is ready to be scheduled for delivery!"
    3. For me, it took two business days between the "delivery approaching" and "ready for delivery" messages
  9. Now you use the Tesla link to select a pickup date and time :)
Thanks to @Maximillan, @Ormaus and others for suggesting I post this as its own thread (instead of being on page 707 of the Australian Model 3 Waiting Room thread). Of course, many thanks also to all the contributors on the waiting room thread for documenting and helping myself and others understand the sometimes-painful process.

Would it be right to say that at step 4 when VIN is made available and final invoice generated showing final payment amount, you can pay at any time after that but before delivery day? Obviously, one would time it such that the money is with you longer than with Tesla?

I ordered my Model Y 12 noon (WA time) on June 10th (performance). I have not gotten any SMS messages, and I don't see any EDD. I checked my profile, phone number is correct. Should I worry? I would hate to find there has been a glitch and my order is not in the queue! Thanks for any info!

I ordered my Model Y 12 noon (WA time) on June 10th (performance). I have not gotten any SMS messages, and I don't see any EDD. I checked my profile, phone number is correct. Should I worry? I would hate to find there has been a glitch and my order is not in the queue! Thanks for any info!
Best to either call Tesla or go to your local showroom in person to get this confirmed.

Don't think Step 7.1 is quite right. You get the "Tesla Update: Your Model 3 delivery is approaching" SMS before the vessel arrives at port, not after the vehicle is unloaded at port.
I got the SMS yesterday but my VIN is not showing up on RAV and I don't expect it to until Friday or Sunday depending on whether my car is on Asian Vision or Paglia.

Don't think Step 7.1 is quite right. You get the "Tesla Update: Your Model 3 delivery is approaching" SMS before the vessel arrives at port, not after the vehicle is unloaded at port.
I got the SMS yesterday but my VIN is not showing up on RAV and I don't expect it to until Friday or Sunday depending on whether my car is on Asian Vision or Paglia.
What date did you book your delivery for?

Same. I received the SMS on Tuesday, but VIN not in the RAV yet, and no SMS to arrange a pickup date.

I'm assuming the SMS is triggered by the start of the customs process, which in Australia by sea is when it enters the EEZ, so it would happen several days from port.

When you order online, at what point are you allocated a sales associate? or do you not get one until closer to delivery?
or is a sales associate only applicable if you order through a branch/sales office?

Was hoping to be able to liaise with someone on ETAs, accessories etc.

Last edited:
When you order online, at what point are you allocated a sales associate? or do you not get one until closer to delivery?
or is a sales associate only applicable if you order through a branch/sales office?

Was hoping to be able to liaise with someone on ETAs, accessories etc.
At some random point an SA will email you introducing themselves as your SA, they could be anywhere.

You've got buckleys of getting anything helpful out of them with regards to the ETAs, expect the same kind of support as if you ordered a phone from Telstra.

Reactions: AngryLitig8r
So the big question: what is the expected time between stage 6.2 (getting a date range for EDD) and delivery?
Days? Weeks? Months? Highly variable?
Asking as I have a car to sell, and want to be without my daily driver as little time as possible...

So the big question: what is the expected time between stage 6.2 (getting a date range for EDD) and delivery?
Days? Weeks? Months? Highly variable?
Asking as I have a car to sell, and want to be without my daily driver as little time as possible...
Highly variable at the moment as Tesla attempts to get through all the arrivals in the country. In some instances people are getting up to 2 weeks notice to book their delivery date.
The EDD remains about as reliable as the weather forecast two weeks out. I like you wanted to minimise the time without my daily driver, once I knew that my Tesla was in the country via the RAV, I decided to sell my ICE via instant offer on Carsales as they were 5% higher than the Tesla trade in offer.

• Informative
Reactions: aegidius