Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to get for best range? 19" 20" 21"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for the best fit in wheels and tires for the best range wh/mi.
Go me factory 22", on a new (demo) MX90D.
I read that 22s are not efficient.... no kidding!!!....
I get 270 to 330 all day long on my S85D with 19" and I yet to get anything below 430 on the X with the 22"
not even in town or drafting at 60mph I was able to get it below 380, most of the time is over 450 at 70-75 mph leading me to believe I may have something wrong in the car beyond the inefficient wheels.

Do not need to deal with snow or ice but do have to deal with the 100+Deg heat in South Texas.

use the Range Calculator on the Tesla Website.

Currently it is configured for Model S, but given the information on the Model X, which is heavier and quote is "Capable of traveling up to 295 miles on a single charge, with unlimited access to Tesla's global charging network, you can get anywhere in Model X." I would calculate it on a similar scale based on the weather conditions, driving style and battery size.

Model S | Tesla

Smaller is better for range/efficiency. Less rolling mass to absorb energy.
BTW, the fastest acceleration is with the smallest tires, not the "cool" low-profile 22" wheels.
That is what I read, acceleration would be a bonus really, but range is what I am looking...

use the Range Calculator on the Tesla Website.
As I said, I own and S 85D and for over 2 years and have become well aware of how it performs and its limitations.
My new X is just not fulfilling any of the expected parameters said out there. 295miles on a single charge? perhaps at 50mph perfect conditions.

From what I have larned and what I read, I believe that the biggest hit will be changing those 22" that came with the car.

Any one out there have any real life experience with the wheel size and tires to share is appreciated.

I have both sets of wheels. 20" Slipstreams with Continental all-seasons and 22" black turbines with Goodyear summer tires. I use the 20" wheels whenever we do long road trips over the summer, then switch back to the 22" wheels for the rest of the year. (I prefer how the car looks and handles with the 22s.)

My experience: I can easily achieve 315-330 wh/mi with the 20" wheels, which makes them perfect for long trips when range is a high priority. I just came back from a 3,700 mile road trip and my average was 361 wh/mi, and that included going over the Rockies and some high speed driving. For comparison, I rarely consume less than 400 wh/mi when using the 22" wheels. During the first (and only) road trip I took with the 22s, I averaged 450 wh/mi. In short, you'll see a not-insignificant decrease in energy consumption by switching to the 20" wheel/tire combo.

I actually made the switch back to the 22s today and used this opportunity to weigh the wheel/tire set:

22" Turbines, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
70.6 lbs. (front)
76.4 lbs. (rear)

20" Slipstreams, Continental CrossContact LX Sport
61.6 lbs. (front)
62.8 lbs. (rear)

Hope this helps.

I have both sets of wheels. 20" Slipstreams with Continental all-seasons and 22" black turbines with Goodyear summer tires. I use the 20" wheels whenever we do long road trips over the summer, then switch back to the 22" wheels for the rest of the year. (I prefer how the car looks and handles with the 22s.)

My experience: I can easily achieve 315-330 wh/mi with the 20" wheels, which makes them perfect for long trips when range is a high priority. I just came back from a 3,700 mile road trip and my average was 361 wh/mi, and that included going over the Rockies and some high speed driving. For comparison, I rarely consume less than 400 wh/mi when using the 22" wheels. During the first (and only) road trip I took with the 22s, I averaged 450 wh/mi. In short, you'll see a not-insignificant decrease in energy consumption by switching to the 20" wheel/tire combo.

I actually made the switch back to the 22s today and used this opportunity to weigh the wheel/tire set:

22" Turbines, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
70.6 lbs. (front)
76.4 lbs. (rear)

20" Slipstreams, Continental CrossContact LX Sport
61.6 lbs. (front)
62.8 lbs. (rear)

Hope this helps.
I just bought the 22" wheel set up to replace the 20".Our X will mostly be driven around town less than 50 miles per day with the occasional 200 mile overnight road trip to Orlando. Im new to the EV world, Should the efficiency decrease concern me at all with the switch to 22"s?
I too may keep the 20"s for extended road trips after reading this post :)

I just bought the 22" wheel set up to replace the 20".Our X will mostly be driven around town less than 50 miles per day with the occasional 200 mile overnight road trip to Orlando. Im new to the EV world, Should the efficiency decrease concern me at all with the switch to 22"s?
I too may keep the 20"s for extended road trips after reading this post :)

For short trips, you'll be fine with the 22s. But be prepared for a drop in efficiency. YMMV, but in my experience the difference has been significantly more than the 10-15% originally quoted by Tesla on their Design Studio (that message has since been removed). In my 90D, with my driving style, I doubt I would make that 200 mile trip with 22s, even with a charge to 100%.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have put the money towards forged aftermarket 22s, many of which are lighter than even the 20s. I might eventually go that route.

For comparison: Unplugged forged 22" are $7995 vs $2750 that I paid for the Tesla TURBINE 22"s used but mint.

True, used turbines are relatively cheap. I paid about the same as you for my set, including tires, caps, and sensors. TSportline has several forged 22" designs for around $6500, and on several occasions they've gone on sale for much less.

Strong, lightweight, cheap. Pick two.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
If I had to do it all over again, I would have put the money towards forged aftermarket 22s, many of which are lighter than even the 20s. I might eventually go that route.
For comparison: Unplugged forged 22" are $7995 vs $2750 that I paid for the Tesla TURBINE 22"s used but mint.
Very curious how the forged light weight wheel changes efficiency since they are lighter than the slipstreams in many cases. It would be a good way to isolate the effect on efficiency of the staggered width performance wheel and the rotational mass effect vs. total weight... any smart folk on the forum that know how to blind us with science?