Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to Order -- X 75d, X 90d, X 100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's now 100D = 7, 90D = 0, 75D = 0

I just got back from the Tesla store. No new inventory models available :(

When I mentioned moving the deposit to a custom build, the sales associate did not love the idea. It wasn't the guy that I was working with for the down payment, but he either didn't know if it could be done, or it was obviously a pain in the ass to do it. He also said that he had done custom build deposits changed to inventory, but not the other way around.

Mostly, as we looked for other 90Ds to pop up and I silently prayed (not religious, but hey), he talked about how sweet the deal was that I got on the 75d. It came out to 82.7K with the 1K referral, not including the $7.5K tax credit, which would take it down to 75.2K. This is for a demo vehicle with 2500 miles, AP1, standard cabin with 6 multi-pattern black seats, midnight silver metallic, sub-zero and smart air suspension (which I thought was standard!).

Anyhow, I'm still in a holding pattern on this.

If I was to order right now, I'd pay for the 100D.

We got the 90D as it was the only option (didn't want to spend extra on the P100D) at the time and went with the unlimited supercharging. I'm still hopeful they (Tesla or aftermarket) can retrofit a bigger battery down the road and we can still keep the unlimited supercharging.

Why the 100D? Range? Do you find yourself wishing for more range?

100D = 8, 90D = 0, 75D = 0

I'm going to vote for the 90D I listed above. It has plenty of range. For 12.5K less you get a nice more durable paint, the most comfortable white seats over black cloth seats, the tow package since it is very difficult to put stuff on the roof, the better audio system, and the higher power on board charger. All of those niceties and 12.5k less, with ap1 instead of 2. I think the 90D I listed above is a better value.

That's now 100D = 7, 90D = 0, 75D = 0

I just got back from the Tesla store. No new inventory models available :(

When I mentioned moving the deposit to a custom build, the sales associate did not love the idea. It wasn't the guy that I was working with for the down payment, but he either didn't know if it could be done, or it was obviously a pain in the ass to do it. He also said that he had done custom build deposits changed to inventory, but not the other way around.

Mostly, as we looked for other 90Ds to pop up and I silently prayed (not religious, but hey), he talked about how sweet the deal was that I got on the 75d. It came out to 82.7K with the 1K referral, not including the $7.5K tax credit, which would take it down to 75.2K. This is for a demo vehicle with 2500 miles, AP1, standard cabin with 6 multi-pattern black seats, midnight silver metallic, sub-zero and smart air suspension (which I thought was standard!).

Anyhow, I'm still in a holding pattern on this.
That is a pretty good deal, I'd be tempted to stick with it, unless your popular routes don't have many superchargers, or you have to rely on L2 or destination charging often. I have an S60 and get by fine, as my usual destinations have SCs along the way. Depends on your budget too, if 20k doesn't matter to you, to have the latest and greatest, I'd custom order a 100D.
And yes, air suspension is standard.

I'm going to vote for the 90D I listed above. It has plenty of range. For 12.5K less you get a nice more durable paint, the most comfortable white seats over black cloth seats, the tow package since it is very difficult to put stuff on the roof, the better audio system, and the higher power on board charger. All of those niceties and 12.5k less, with ap1 instead of 2. I think the 90D I listed above is a better value.
Good points.... And yes, the white seats are truly spectacular.

100D = 7.5, 90D = 1, 75D = 0.5

Changing mikevbf to the 90d, giving half a vote to the 100d and half to the 75d from hingisfan.

Funny story, I had a red 90d for 97K with 20" rims and white seats in my sights for the deposit and the wife said no way on the white seats -- she didn't like 'em. Apparently they are fantastic tho.

100D = 7.5, 90D = 1, 75D = 0.5

Changing mikevbf to the 90d, giving half a vote to the 100d and half to the 75d from hingisfan.

Funny story, I had a red 90d for 97K with 20" rims and white seats in my sights for the deposit and the wife said no way on the white seats -- she didn't like 'em. Apparently they are fantastic tho.

Here is X90D 1k more with even nicer option imo and black leather seats:
Model X 90D 5YJXCBE25GF003757 | Tesla

I know you can get tax credits from the inventory cars because I did. I know you can not get the credit from a regular used sale, but am not sure about the rules on Tesla's CPOs. Anyone know? I believe you do get a full 50k mile warranty on top of the miles the car already has with cpo.

White seats are futuristic but are "too loud".

No tax credits on CPO. Only for unregistered, untitled vehicles. New orders and new inventory qualify.

I value AP2 hardware between 12k-15k.

Side note:

I'd go black color, save myself 1k and throw that towards a full Xpel Stealth wrap.

My understanding is that the CPOs have already applied for the tax credit. You can only get 1 credit per car.

Yes and no. Its POSSIBLE but unlikely a CPO car didn't apply for the credit. But there some tax code about new vehicle placed into server. Basically, if its used - it has been titled and registered so no go on credit.

hmmm. That means the 90D cpo car I listed with all the nice options is only 4k cheaper than a bare bones 100D 6 seater AP2 vehicle given a buyer who can take fall advantage of the tax credit. Yeah, then if you do not care about any of the options, but want max range and AP2, the cpo vehicles become less good choice.

The only difficult thing to figure out here is how long those tax credits will continue to be available given the current administration. For example, you order a bare bones 100D and Tesla delivers the vehicle 2 months later and in those 2 months the federal government gets rid of the ev tax credits. I believe in this case you would be out of luck.

New vote just came, and a very important one:

100d = 7.5, 90d = 1, 75d =1.5

Wife weighed in. She thinks new cars depreciate too fast (she's right). She likes the price of the 75d, the tax credit, etc.

We are now talking about range and our expectations with the 75d o_O

New vote just came, and a very important one:

100d = 7.5, 90d = 1, 75d =1.5

Wife weighed in. She thinks new cars depreciate too fast (she's right). She likes the price of the 75d, the tax credit, etc.

We are now talking about range and our expectations with the 75d o_O

I've taken a couple of long trips in my X75D (East coast to Chicago, for one.) The car is certainly capable of it, without much concern or sacrifice.

The reason I suggested the 100 for you is that you sounded very concerned about range and committed to very fast trips with few breaks. The 100 will let you do faster road trips with fewer, shorter breaks, but a 75 is fine for a road trip if you're okay with the occasional break.

Reactions: DSGChina
I live in San Diego and went from a custom 75D order to a 100D order and paid a $500 change order to do so. I'm also a cheap bastard, but this is one of the times I felt it's worthwhile. It basically comes down to range. It won't make a difference for day to day driving, and I expect only a minor annoyance for the rare road trip. But last weekend, I drove with the wife and kid to LA. It was about 120 miles each way. If you drive faster than 55mph, the 75D doesn't have enough rated miles to do that. Plus with literally no cushion, any deviation would have meant a dead battery with a wife and kid in the back. I do a trip to Rowland Heights often enough that I don't want to factor in time for a detour and charge each time. Same with a trip to LAX to pick up family. I also don't want to be the guy sitting at a supercharger for an hour with someone in back asking "how much did this car cost again?"

I've taken a couple of long trips in my X75D (East coast to Chicago, for one.) The car is certainly capable of it, without much concern or sacrifice.

The reason I suggested the 100 for you is that you sounded very concerned about range and committed to very fast trips with few breaks. The 100 will let you do faster road trips with fewer, shorter breaks, but a 75 is fine for a road trip if you're okay with the occasional break.

I guess what has concerned me is that when I buy it, it will be the only car I have. I have no issues with a trip to Mammoth, it should be fine, Tahoe even. It's the trip to Montana, or Chicago, originally 2 days one way, now 3. I suppose that might even be the case with the 100d...

I live in San Diego and went from a custom 75D order to a 100D order and paid a $500 change order to do so. I'm also a cheap bastard, but this is one of the times I felt it's worthwhile. It basically comes down to range. It won't make a difference for day to day driving, and I expect only a minor annoyance for the rare road trip. But last weekend, I drove with the wife and kid to LA. It was about 120 miles each way. If you drive faster than 55mph, the 75D doesn't have enough rated miles to do that. Plus with literally no cushion, any deviation would have meant a dead battery with a wife and kid in the back. I do a trip to Rowland Heights often enough that I don't want to factor in time for a detour and charge each time. Same with a trip to LAX to pick up family. I also don't want to be the guy sitting at a supercharger for an hour with someone in back asking "how much did this car cost again?"

Understood. There are three superchargers on the way to LAX, and I don't think a 15-20 min stop at any of those would raise eyebrows. I'm in Del Mar/Carmel Valley and it's 110 miles to LAX exactly. I usually stop for awhile anyway, sometimes to get gas, sometimes to just grab a soda or gatorade.

Come to think of it, I hate that drive. I should stop for 15 minutes/half hour more often.

Reactions: Ormond