Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to Order -- X 75d, X 90d, X 100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, I'm facing this same decision today. I have a 75D on order and am within the 7 day period where I can make changes. Now that the 75D price dropped and the 100D price increased, the price difference is now $17K. Are most of you still favoring the 100D?

It's all based on your driving habits still. If your needs fit that of a 100D, it's still the way to go - or you'll be miserable always running out of range. If your lifestyle is ok with a 75D, you can obviously save the extra cash.

In terms of value, the price change makes it much more even, but the 100D still holds the edge. Keep in mind the price increase for the 100D on the X was $1000, but now includes the high amperage charger by default; previously a $1000 option. So the price hasn't really changed for the 100D, you're just required to get that option.

For the X75D, the price change brings it down to be a better value, but the 100D still has better value in terms of $/usable capacity. (that's how lopsided it was!)

There's something that's beyond value though. If you want a sub $100k car, 100D is not an option. If you don't use the high amp charger, don't need the extra range, the performance of a 75D is adequate, then there's no point in getting a 100D. If you travel a lot, tow occasionally, in an area with limited charging available; then the value of a 100D plus your usability is a no brainer.

It still doesn't make sense to go from a 75D to a 90D though, much better to go straight to a 100D.

Reactions: chris5639
I slapped my $2500 deposit down and now I need some info from some real owners -- what to order?

Background:
I've been looking for a Tesla on and off over the last 2 years. There was always something that turned me away, either price, waiting for new features, etc. I've always paid cash for used cars out of principle (and because it makes good financial sense). After moving back to the States after many years in Asia, I began to get serious about getting a Tesla after the other major purchases and priorities (house, schools for kids, solar panels, real estate investments, etc.).

My wife currently works in Asia and won't be transferred to the US office until May/June/July of this year. So, we only need one car. After moving, I initially purchased a BMW 5 series because it was easiest while I was taking care of the other priorities. Every time I went to pump gas, it was torture knowing that I could be in a vehicle that would just charge off of my solar. So, now is time. And, most importantly, I have the go ahead from the wife.

Concerns:
* One car, and it's a Tesla. What happens on road trips? The San Diego to LAX jaunt would require a stop off at a supercharger? Yikes. Essentially, range. We don't do a ton of road trips and most of my driving in town is within a 10-15mi radius. However, we did do a 2500 mi road trip this summer and I went long stretches at the wheel without feeling tired, we made great time. I think we would have had to extend our roadtrip by at least two days if we were stopping at superchargers every 150 mi.
* Cost: This would be the first car that I have financed in 22 years. Yes, I could throw down cash, but given the uncertainty of everything right now, it seems wiser to hold on to the cash and finance this vehicle.
* I'm cheap: I want nice things, but I want my nice things to be cheaper than the sticker price. And I can wait for the right deal to pop up.
* I don't care about most of the options, but I do want 6-7 seats and at least autopilot 1. I heard that the new AP2 is not as good right now as AP1, but as the updates roll out, will be superior plus puts you on the path for self driving. This is attractive to me. I do not want 22" wheels only because I don't care about the looks and I'd rather have the range over the wheels.

The choices:

1. Model X 75d demo vehicle with AP1. Great deal, $12K off. I threw down the $2500 on this model. But, the sales person said they can shift it to another vehicle if I like within a couple of days. After throwing down the deposit, I came to the forum and starting reading about the range for a 75. Panic ensued. People getting 160mi range -- that threw me into a tailspin.

2. Model X 90d demo vehicle with AP1. Another great deal with 20Kish off. Pricier than I would like tho because of all the options. This model has the 22" wheels and a bunch of options I don't particularly need. I mean, if the forums are correct and you lose 10-15% range with the 22", it's basically like paying $20K more for the increase in performance 0-60 in 4.8. The wheels eat away any range difference from the 75d!

3. Model X 100d, order it and throw it in the manufacturing queue. Basically, for a less than $5K difference, I'd get much more range than the 90. Plus, I can spend where I want to spend and not buy a bunch of features I don't need.

4. Delay and hope another 90d demo vehicle pops up with 20" wheels and a price point somewhere between options 1 and 2. I can only do this for a few days tho.

Given everyone's vast experience with the Model X, are my concerns justified? Is it ALL ABOUT THE RANGE? Which one would you choose?
Driving in SoCal is unlike other metro areas (not sure about Houston). Can easily chew up 150 miles (actual). I would get the 100D, i use up alot of miles going to pasadena and then kids pickups and dropoffs. As for being cheap: good-just keep the car for 10 years or more. I did that with my last car, C350. May be down the road someone will offer an upgrade to the battery. Make sure to get 20" wheels. The 22's look great, but i hear cut into range, and tire punctures would be more costly-- had many of them with 22" wheels on a gl550.