Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to say when asked how much your X costs...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The x is one of the safest family cars anyone can buy despite the high price tag. I don't see this as a "car" but as a gadget for the family. Our Teslas make our life's journey a true pleasure. Enjoy the ride.

I was taught to never ask someone how much a major purchase cost, but there are plenty of folks that have no issue with asking the question. My wife and I have been trying to come up with a gracious answer without actually answering the question.

I'd love to get some ideas from fellow Tesla owners on this subject.

I get this question about my Roadster pretty often (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the conversations about the car that I have). I have chosen to take the question in the spirit of "wow, i want one of those, what would it set me back". So I tell people. If that part of the conversation expands or it's a natural extension, I also tell people what the car cost new, and I talk about the Secret Master Plan to bring Model 3 to market with a starting price of $35k, and talk about how quickly the technology is advancing along with how quickly the cost is coming down.

Though I might also talk about the cost of energy to move the car being so cheap, I also point out that for me, the low cost of energy per mile will never in my lifetime make the purchase make sense financially. Even at $5/gallon, I don't drive enough to ever turn one of these into a financial good idea (some people do drive enough).

I expect we'll be ordering Model X or S this year, and right now, I expect to take the same general strategy of just telling people what the car cost.

Or more briefly, Bonnie's strategy is pretty much my strategy. Most every question is a path to helping people see how they can work EVs into their lives.

I think it would depend on the context of who is asking. For example, if the person asking is a potential Model X customer and a good friend, I would not mind saying upfront the cost of the vehicle. However, if the person asking is Nosy Neighbor who likes to spread nasty gossip, I would be much more cautious.

Giving a price range, and also pointing out savings in the fuel bill over the next few years, might be a comfortable middle ground. I remember that this was proposed in the Model S sub-forum.

It all depends on who is asking, why and where. If it is a person I know well and they are asking because they may want to buy one I will say they start around $70k but loaded like this one I will tell then $155k before taxes.

If it is family and I know they have no interest in purchasing one I will say they start at $70k.

If it just someone at an EV event I will say they start at $70k. If they ask me specially how much my model cost I will tell them the full price.

On the other hand if it is the guy who is about to carjack it. I will stop at the $70k. No sense in going into detail.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel and X Fan
Here's an interesting conversation that happened with my Model S:

Stranger: "Is that a Tesla?"
Me: "Yeah it is"
Stranger: "Wow. You must be rich."
Me: ...

I really didn't know how to answer so I just told him the used prices for baseline Tesla's have come down quite a bit recently. This was when Tesla had some Model S' in the $50,000+ range. Mine was not used, but how else am I supposed to answer that without smiling awkwardly and walking out the door backwards?

This was when Tesla had some Model S' in the $50,000+ range. Mine was not used, but how else am I supposed to answer that without smiling awkwardly and walking out the door backwards?
Yeah, and you even have to be careful with that number. I was in a group recently that were talking about the Model S and how expensive it was. They knew I had one but weren't being accusatory - it was just part of the conversation. So I said something about the Model 3 and how it's a much more affordable model. One of the women in the group said, "Right, what? $40k?" When I responded with $35k before incentives, she still rolled her eyes.. because that's just entirely out of her price range too. I tried to very gently explain that the prices are getting "lower and lower" and that each iteration should result in a cheaper model down the road, plus inexpensive used inventory.. but I had to be pretty careful.

Got some great advice...

giphy.gif