TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What to shut off to preserve battery

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Mr-T, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

I have a M3 LR AWD. I am going to be going to Rio to visit my wife’s family for Christmas and would need to leave the car at the airport for 3 weeks. I see lots of comments about battery drain, parasitic loads, etc. I know to shut off Sentry mode, but beyond this, I still see 12-15 miles/day loss. The environment will be an airport parking garage, temps averaging 25 to 45 F. What else can I shutdown and how?

2. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

You should not be seeing anywhere near that loss. If you have FSD or EAP, make sure you turn off Summon standby. That keeps the car awake all the time.

As long as the car sleeps, you should only see about 1%/day loss (~3 mi/day).

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

I do not have FSD or EAP., therefore, no Summon. I have climate Off. What else could be going on?

4. Sophias_dad

Sophias_dad Member

As a datapoint, I was away for a week recently and lost a bit less than a mile per day.

Try pulling the usb drive out, if any. (I actually didn't do this, but Sentry was auto-off'd because it was home in my unheated garage(35-50f)

Shut down any apps that might be keeping the car from sleeping.

• Like x 1
  5. SilverSp33d3r

SilverSp33d3r Member

Don’t check the app. That wakes the car

• Like x 1
  6. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

Do you have TeslaFi? Or Stats?

• Like x 1
  7. toolman335

toolman335 Member

Unplug everything that is in a USB drive. Make sure climate and sentry are off. Though if a charger is nearby for when you return I'd consider Sentry(but that's just me),
    That's about everything that could eat battery life.

8. Bimmerville

Bimmerville Member

Find the electric car chargers at your airport and plug in. Looks like Pittsburg has 5 in long-term parking.

9. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

Ok, I just pulled out the USB and will see what happens.

10. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

I’ll check but I live in Ohio, Dayton and I would be surprised if the had chargers there.

11. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

You must be near Pittsburgh, PA. We had
    No, I don’t. Perhaps I should get them?

12. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

I was checking because if you did, that could be a source of drain. Anything that polls the car's API will wake it up (just like when you open the app). It sounds like for some reason your car is snot sleeping. AFAIK, things that will do that:

- Sentry Mode
    - Keep Climate On
    - Cabin Overheat Protection
    - Dog Mode
    - Summon Standby Mode
    - Software that "polls" the car for status (TeslaFi, Stats, etc.)
    - Opening the app frequently (when you open the app it wakes the car)

If all of those are turned off, then you shouldn't be losing more than a mile or two a day.

(I'd be surprised if it's something in the USB port as the car cuts power to them when it sleeps.)

13. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

I downloaded Stat, but have made a point to not open it, or the Tesla app during the day to not wake-up the car. I pulled the USB drive anyway. With:
    Sentry Mode OFF
    Climate OFF
    Cabin Overheat DISABLED
    Dog Mode OFF
    No Summon (AP only)
    Stats;Tesla App used once or twice,
    Temperature between 26 - 33 F across the interval

This morning, the phantom drain showed .54 mi/hr over a 4 hour idle period. That´s almost 13 mi/day, Something isn´t right.

14. Sophias_dad

Sophias_dad Member

It probably doesn't apply to you because you don't have autopilot, but the most recent minor update turned summon et. al. back on and I burned 10 miles in 4 hours, with sentry off. Hopefully it gets better now that I have turned off summon. I'm sure a few of those lost miles were temporary, because the battery got cold, as well.

15. user212_nr

user212_nr Member

I would not risk it. 3 weeks is a long time What if you calculate something wrong and then the car is bricked while your are in Rio - will you fly back to take care of it, or beg someone to help you...?

Just take a taxi and leave your car in yours or someone else's garage w/ power. If you have the energy, you can also rent it.

16. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

Four hours isn’t a long enough test for the car to go into deep sleep. Phantom drain should decrease significantly after the first day.

Here is a chart of my phantom drain compared to the fleet of vehicles using Stats. Note that I rarely use Sentry mode, which improves standby consumption.

B0C38936-35D9-4B6F-ACC0-187C666FAE66.jpeg

17. p-f-g

p-f-g Member

18. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

19. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

I live in a Rural area, so no taxi. I have a friend That will take me. He has a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. It’s has the Tesla Electric drive tech in it. He loves it!

20. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

I foliando that out. I am on another (much shorter) trip and left it at the airport. The drain after 2 days is .13 mi/hr. Problem solved. I thank you all for your help!