Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to tell Discount Tire when they change my tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Unfortunately, Tesla Service Centers (at least the one in Denver) don't honor Michelin tire warranty claims (so Tesla and Michelin have informed me) so I wasn't able to get my now-down-to-3mm Primacy tires replaced at a recent service visit. I mean, I could've, but I would have had to pay full price for the new tires, whereas Michelin has told me I'm eligible for something like a 40% credit on 4 new Primacy tires since they've worn down in 25K miles instead of the rated 40K+.

So, that means, Discount TIre locally. I stopped by there to check 'em out. Nothing confidence-inducing came of the visit. Guy came out to take a look, he measured tread-wear, but looked at the car like it was something he'd never seen before and was afraid to touch.

And now the question(s):
I hear there are very explicit rules that a tire shop needs to follow when changing tires on a Model S. Like, 175 newtons or something on the torque wrench? Use only hand tools? Anyone been through this already? What exactly is the checklist of do's and don'ts I should present to Discount Tire, before I entrust them with my S? I fear my car may be the first Tesla they've ever worked on.

I had Americas tire handle the Michelin warranty claim. In Cali ,Discount Tire is Americas tire. The Discount tire people should contact Michelin on your behalf and tell you how much you will pay.When I have had work done there they already know the torgue specs for the tires,lift points and if you have air make sure it is raised and in jack mode. i will be going back in a month to have the tires rotated.

Thanks. I would fully expect tire shops to know all about Teslas in Tesla-happy California. Out here in nowheresville, things are a bit different. :)

As for air suspension, nope, don't have it. Is "jack mode" part of that, or separate from air suspension (I don't recall ever seeing a jack mode option anywhere.)

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Thanks. I would fully expect tire shops to know all about Teslas in Tesla-happy California. Out here in nowheresville, things are a bit different. :)

As for air suspension, nope, don't have it. Is "jack mode" part of that, or separate from air suspension (I don't recall ever seeing a jack mode option anywhere.)
Jack mode applies to the Air Suspension option.

And now the question(s):
I hear there are very explicit rules that a tire shop needs to follow when changing tires on a Model S. Like, 175 newtons or something on the torque wrench? Use only hand tools? Anyone been through this already? What exactly is the checklist of do's and don'ts I should present to Discount Tire, before I entrust them with my S? I fear my car may be the first Tesla they've ever worked on.

Discount Tire centers have instructions in their database on how to handle Tesla. There are Discount Tire stores here in Atlanta who put tires on MS regularly. The particular store I went to printed instructions out of the database that provides specific instructions that let them know that they can't put the car on the rack due to the weight. It included instruction on jacking points, air suspension settings, torque etc. Some stores may have never seen a Tesla but they should be able to pull up the instructions. I believe they are the largest tire discounter in the US. Every encounter I've had with them has been more than positive.

I called around and ask them if they had put tires on Teslas in their store. If you have a SC in your area, they won't recommend any particular store but they will generally tell you where other customers in the area take their MS for tires.

I bought these Michelins (second set, installed at 21K mi) in March 2015 at a Tesla service center:

tires-2015.jpg

@FlatSi911 when you say 129 lb-ft is that the same as being "torqued to 175 NM" as in the invoice above?

Also, what about TPMS? Does Discount Tire know how to properly deal w/ that? Anything I should look out for or tell 'em?

I bought these Michelins (second set, installed at 21K mi) in March 2015 at a Tesla service center:
View attachment 186709

@FlatSi911 when you say 129 lb-ft is that the same as being "torqued to 175 NM" as in the invoice above?
Also, what about TPMS? Does Discount Tire know how to properly deal w/ that? Anything I should look out for or tell 'em?

Yes, One pound-foot is approximately 1.355818 newton meters.
So 129 lb-ft is that the same as being "torqued to 175 NM" :cool:

TPMS is standard on all new vehicles ... so no problem there.

I have an appointment with Discount Tire soon, as my OEM Michelins are nearing 2/32"-3/32" at just about 55,000 miles. I would have gotten a few thousand more miles out of them, but forgot to rotate them during the recent 4-week, 12,000-mile wanderings, so one pair is just about down to the wear bars. Doh. And I was at at least one SvC and at a Discount Tire to get a slow leak fixed along the way. Doh twice.

They want $28 for TPMS rebuild kits, which near as I can tell primarily consist of rubber o rings. The conventional wisdom is that these can leak over time. I don't know that 18 months is enough time, but that's what the charge is for them to replace those.

Concur with FlatSix's post above and would add just a few things:

1. Take pictures of the exterior of your car including in particular the rims after you park in the shop's lot.
2. Bring 2 dozen donuts for the shop foreman to make available to the team.
3. Retain your fob. Drive the car into and out of the service bay.
4. Note that the lug nut cap pieces are soft, and note that any damage to the lug nut caps is their responsibility (hand tools are an option).

I need to remember the Road Force tire balancer thing.

One Discount Tire shop's personnel told me that the lug nut caps had swelled. Never heard that before or since.

For liability issues, I wouldn't think any shop would allow a customer to drive into and out of the bay.

And yet, despite this uncertainty and doubt, they do. In fact, with regularity, Discount Tire has their customers back out and will have a team member stand outside assisting in that effort. Happened to me last month in North Carolina, and has every time in Arizona. In California it's been about 50/50 due to sheer volume, I figure.

And yet, despite this uncertainty and doubt, they do. In fact, with regularity, Discount Tire has their customers back out and will have a team member stand outside assisting in that effort. Happened to me last month in North Carolina, and has every time in Arizona. In California it's been about 50/50 due to sheer volume, I figure.
I had my tires rotated by America's Tire last month and was a little nervous about it despite telling them everything they needed to know. What made me feel a little better was that a Model X pulled up after me and got in before me despite me being there before him since he had an appointment. I found out the following weekend that they lost one of my valve caps. I was irritated until I went to Tesla to see if I could buy a replacement or a set of four. To my surprise they're plastic and they gave me two just in case. In the meantime, I was looking for replacement caps and found a nice set that I bought on ebay. I just wish they had an anti theft option like some other caps I've seen on ebay. Haven't put them on yet.

Black Chrome Car Wheel Tyre Tire Air Valve Caps Stem Cover With Tesla Emblem

I had my tires rotated by America's Tire last month and was a little nervous about it despite telling them everything they needed to know. What made me feel a little better was that a Model X pulled up after me and got in before me despite me being there before him since he had an appointment. I found out the following weekend that they lost one of my valve caps. I was irritated until I went to Tesla to see if I could buy a replacement or a set of four. To my surprise they're plastic and they gave me two just in case. In the meantime, I was looking for replacement caps and found a nice set that I bought on ebay. I just wish they had an anti theft option like some other caps I've seen on ebay. Haven't put them on yet.

Black Chrome Car Wheel Tyre Tire Air Valve Caps Stem Cover With Tesla Emblem

I bought the exact same set of stem covers about about 6 months ago. I like them better than the plastic ones.

I bought road hazard tire certificates for my new Tesla from Discount Tire. I also replaced my tires with them. Multiple rotations no issue. The first time they showed me the work order print out. It shows jack points, torque values and even had a warning to check with customer if they have air suspension.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bebop and markn455