Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What tools do you carry in your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there isn't much need for tools given that there aren't that many things you could USE them on if something went south on you while on the road. But what tools do you keep in your Tesla?

So far, I've stocked a flashlight, leatherman multitool, and a digital tire gauge. I've got a tire repair kit a DC air pump on order from Amazon. Add to that the heavy duty 240V 30' extension cord for charging at relatives homes and a couple of adaptors and that's about it.

Anyone else got a standard toolkit they like to carry around in the frunk or elsewhere?

Since day 1 I have always been concerned about the lack of a spare tire, so I pack a rubber plug tire repair kit, a slime kit, an electric air pump with pressure gauge, and an electric scissor jack / wrench kit. It all fits nicely in the rear well with room to spare. I also pack a few additional adapters that weren't standard such as an RV, Chademo and Nema 5-20.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
a variety of adapters and extension cords for for charging, a flashlight, screw driver and wrench, plug in air pump, tire kit, first aid kit, blanket. reflective vest, flares, towel, change of clothes and for trips to out of the way places I have a full sized spare tire I pack in to the car.

Tire gauge, slime kit, flashlight, A galoon of Windshield washer fluid, window cleaner and microfiber rags.
A few bottles of water and a 144-148MHz handheld transceiver (license required) with weather band.

I carry a Tesla Tire Repair Kit, small tool kit, flashlight, a few charging adapters, a couple of umbrellas, a battery operated vacuum cleaner, and also a 144 to 148 mhz two way radio with weather band (yep, I'm licensed too).

2nd the cell phone for roadside

I have a handful of adapters and extension cords as well as a voltage meter to test outlets at destinations before use.

I don't have sound studio so the right side cubby in the trunk has a California car duster, leather cleaner, spray wax, glass cleaner and micro fiber towels.

Reactions: scottf200
Timely thread for me.
My Prius had a punctured tyre on the way to work yesterday.
No problem, I thought, but the manual jack was unable to lift the car high enough to get the tyre off. I'm going to add a wood block to my took-kits.

My only other non-standard emergency equipment is a small battery that can jump the car or charge electronic devices. Since I rarely use my phone and usually find it discharged when I want to use it, the spare battery has been worth it's weight in silver.

If you carry a tie patch kit, but no spare tire, stop carrying a jack, it's not needed. There is no reason to jack up the car or remove a wheel to use a tire patch kit.

As for what I carry in the way of tools: tire patch kit, compressor, leatherman multi tool, flashlight, voltmeter, folding shovel.

There's a full list of what I haul around in my S85 in the Tesla Supplies thread here: Tesla Supplies

As for tools specifically, the small bag of Craftsman tools which is in the trunk side cubby contains:

• Metric and SAE socket sets (I forget the range of sizes but each set has about 10 choices)
  • Socket wrenches for the sets
  • Socket accessories (reducer, bendy angle thingy, extension)
  • Small hammer (like a framing hammer, really)
  • Rubber mallet (for those things that need percussive maintenance)
  • Two bit socket-drivers (one ratcheting, one regular)
  • All mess of bits for the socket drivers (Phillips, Flat, Star, Metric and SAE hex)
  • A couple small wrenches, not sure what sizes but almost certainly ones that a Lincoln Towncar would need
  • Box cutter
  • Work gloves
  • Spool of bailing wire
  • And last but not least, DUCT TAPE (possibly Gorilla Tape)
I also have in the under-trunk: a small flat head shovel, 4-way tire irons, paracord, canvas tarp, heavy duty extension cord, inflatable mattress, blanket, and an ice-scaper/brush combo.

In the other cubby I have the Tesla provided compressor and plug kit (thanks Maryland!) as well as my UMC with a couple adapters.

• Funny
Reactions: Owner and dhrivnak
Repair of the car while on the road is not likely possible or wise so I am more focused on tools to jury rig a 14-50 to any 240 volt source. I also have created adapters for welding circuits just in case I need to charge in a remote area. Farmers always have welders. So instead of carrying car repair tools I carry electrician tools.

Tire repair while on the road is something for which I also carry tools. The level of recovery that you want determines the amount of tire repair gear to carry. A can of pressurized sealant may be enough and plugging a tire while it is on the car is possible but I like working on it while it is off the car so I do carry a jack, wrench and chocks.

These two areas mitigate most of the risk for me and I feel better being able to do something instead of calling for help.

However, like most of my vehicles the tools carried are never used.

Reactions: scottf200
I carry an extra battery--well actually, a single, 18650 lithium battery in the glove box. You can't believe the number of times when asked about the battery that powers my 85D, I've shown my curious (if not uninitiated) passenger the lone power cell, invariably prompting something like, "this car runs off of that battery:? My response: "well yes, this one plus another 7100 or so like it"! (Note: this typically prompts much laughter and a somewhat hackneyed reference to hair color.)

There's a full list of what I haul around in my S85 in the Tesla Supplies thread here: Tesla Supplies

As for tools specifically, the small bag of Craftsman tools which is in the trunk side cubby contains:

• Metric and SAE socket sets (I forget the range of sizes but each set has about 10 choices)
  • Socket wrenches for the sets
  • Socket accessories (reducer, bendy angle thingy, extension)
  • Small hammer (like a framing hammer, really)
  • Rubber mallet (for those things that need percussive maintenance)
  • Two bit socket-drivers (one ratcheting, one regular)
  • All mess of bits for the socket drivers (Phillips, Flat, Star, Metric and SAE hex)
  • A couple small wrenches, not sure what sizes but almost certainly ones that a Lincoln Towncar would need
I'm just curious, to what end do you carry all these tools for? what on the car would need repairs with these tools?

I'm just curious, to what end do you carry all these tools for? what on the car would need repairs with these tools?

Haha, yeah they don't have much use in the Tesla...

In the thread I linked, I note that most of my stuff got shifted over from my '97 Lincoln Towncar with very few items cut. I did nearly all of the repairs and maintenance on the Lincoln myself so having a decent tool set with me at all times proved to be quite helpful.

I think now I just keep most of that in the Tesla to 1) Keep it from cluttering up my garage and 2) Have on hand if I run across someone that has broken down. I used the 4-way tire iron recently when I stopped to help to ladies that had gotten a flat tire and seemed to not quite know how to attack the situation (turns out the scissor jack in their car was hidden under some trunk foam).

As a driver of exclusively old and used vehicles (present transport excluded), I expect that after a few years of ownership, there will be some things on the Tesla that I'll be wrenching or whacking with the mallet ;)

Reactions: dhrivnak
Bugout bag in frunk (...we live in earthquake country)--plus old running shoes and socks.
Small Halon fire extinguisher.
Old jumper cables (not for us to jump someone else but to get jumped if 12v fails).
Tire plug kit and compressor plus pliers and disposable gloves and wet wipes (no jack--have air suspension).
No breaker bar or lug nut socket/wrench.
Yes, always have iPhones and AAA card.