Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Trim Level is a Sleeper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Just a interesting point of debate. What trim level is a "sleeper" at this point?

Is it a Model 3 LR AWD with Performance Upgrade?
Is it a Model 3 Performance without Performance Upgrade?

And what should we call it?

Sleeper
Stealth
LR AWD P
Performance
P3D-
Performance Sort Of
Performance (18" Wheels) or Performance (19" Wheels)

The feature sheet that came with mine says on it "Model 3 Performance (19" Wheels)". Not a very classy title. But from that, I suppose it would be more accurate to call it a Performance model, just without all the normal performance model trimmings.

After much mulling over, I'm still not happy with any available designation.

Just a interesting point of debate. What trim level is a "sleeper" at this point?

Is it a Model 3 LR AWD with Performance Upgrade?
Is it a Model 3 Performance without Performance Upgrade?

And what should we call it?

Sleeper
Stealth
LR AWD P
Performance
P3D-
Performance Sort Of
Performance (18" Wheels) or Performance (19" Wheels)

The feature sheet that came with mine says on it "Model 3 Performance (19" Wheels)". Not a very classy title. But from that, I suppose it would be more accurate to call it a Performance model, just without all the normal performance model trimmings.

After much mulling over, I'm still not happy with any available designation.
The two most common names are Stealth and P3D-.

The VIN for the stealth are the same as the standard Performance, as in if you read the VIN you can't tell if it is a standard performance or a stealth performance. For 2020 the 8th position in the VIN will be C for both, while it will be B for LR AWD.

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/c646fbf1-8ba5-4575-af1e-f415a1131337

Pretty much, when I called the service advisor, and if you look at the MVPA of anyone who has purchased a 'stealth' or 'sleeper' model, they are recorded as Model 3 Performance

So whether or not they're taking line model AWDLRs and flashing them to P; or whether these are P models that don't end up with the 'bling'...

who knows...

I'm still looking :-(

Reactions: dandrewk
Stealth, Sleeper, Unicorn, P3D- are the "official" terms used by owners. Since they have never appeared on the public website, there is no official term from Tesla.
towhitch.png

And they are on the public website. On inventory they are "Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance" or "Performance - Long Range AWD" or some similar variant, depending on your locality and language. On the order sheet they will say the same.

image.png

No performance package with 20" wheels. No ambiguity.

towhitch.png

And they are on the public website. On inventory they are "Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance" or "Performance - Long Range AWD" or some similar variant, depending on your locality and language. On the order sheet they will say the same.

image.png

No performance package with 20" wheels. No ambiguity.

Let’s see the link to order one online. I sure can’t find it. Or ask a Sales Associate to order a "Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance" and they will happily order a Performance trim.

Or are you suggesting the “official” term is “"Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance, except not with 20” wheels”?

The point is all the terms we use to describe this trim (and there are at least four of them) are from owners and would be owners. There has never been an official term from Tesla itself. And some, maybe most SAs Will cluelessly insist it doesn’t exist.

Let’s see the link to order one online. I sure can’t find it.
But that doesn't have to do with the nomenclature.

As the first picture shows, the Performance model (without the performance package) can only be purchased from inventory.
What *can* be made-to-order online at the moment are: SR+, LR, Performance w/ performance package. Nobody disagrees on that.

Or are you suggesting the “official” term is “"Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance, except not with 20” wheels”?.
I am personally suggesting that all the ~450hp+ cars are "Performance" trims, as opposed to the SR+ or LR. What people want to colloquially refer to the additional performance package is up to them.

The Porsche 911 Turbo S with or without the upgraded audio package with Burmeister system.... is still a 911 Turbo S.

There has never been an official term from Tesla itself.
The point is, there is atleast 1 instance written on Tesla website, authored by Tesla, denoting that particular variant as "Base Performance". We know that that is distinct from the Performance w/ performance package, because this latter configuration cannot be configured with tow hitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZappCatt
I am personally suggesting that all the ~450hp+ cars are "Performance" trims, as opposed to the SR+ or LR. What people want to colloquially refer to the additional performance package is up to them.

...which is the entirety of my post. I was responding directly to another post. We have made up terms precisely -because- Tesla has not. There is no single, universally accepted nomenclature. There are several. And this leads to confusion.

When I look at the MVPA (motor vehicle purchase agreement) from my Model 3P with performance package, the line items read as such:

Model 3 - XX,XXX
Long Range All Wheel Drive Performance XX,XXX
Deep Blue Metallic X,XXX

The performance package items show as items on my MVPA with no cost associated
Carbon fiber spoiler
Performance pedals
Performance upgrade
Performance brakes

I suspect if you look at the MVPA of someone who purchased what everyone calls a "sleeper", it would look the same but without the items above as "no cost" options (and the Long range all wheel drive performance option costing MUCH less than mine).

Im not sure why there is any ambiguity here at all, the performance model 3 is the performance model 3, the rest of the stuff is a package. People make up names for stuff because they like to differentiate their item from some other item.

All these forum names come about because tesla doesnt differentiate some trims, but lots of people want to differentiate when they spend extra money for something. America is a very brand centric country. Thats why "Lexus", "Acura", and "infinity" even exist. There is a long standing rumor that Toyota created Lexus as "(L)uxury (EX)port to the (US)".

As for this forum, TMC forums is a place that insists on calling the model 3 a "M3", after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3FNATIK