Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What trim MS is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across this Model S for sale and something doesn’t seem to be right about this. The listing is for a 2015 Model S P85D. The description says the badging says P100D on the back. This is a salvage title car with multiple accidents. So far so good. But here a few things that caught me off guard:

1. MCU says P100DL
2. AP2 cameras for a 2015 car
3. Newer front fascia for 2015 car. I initially thought this is tsportline or some after market bumper
4. Carfax confirms this is a 2015 P85D

2015 Tesla Model S P85D for sale in Salt Lake City, UT | Vin #: 5YJSA1H41FF094077

Here is the accident pics from Google
2015 TESLA MODEL S P8, 5YJSA1H41FF094077 photos - Poctra.com

P.S: I am not looking to buy/sell this car and not asking if it’s a good or a bad deal :)

Frankencar, no warranty or support from Tesla. The problem with such car is not that "No warranty so Tesla won't pay for it", but rather that "Tesla service won't touch it" if anything breaks. It might be a good car for someone who knows how to fix Tesla's themselves, but not so much for the average mortal. Price is another issue - for just a few grand more (starting at $50K) you can get an actual P85D from Tesla, with warranty too (the one where they not just fix it, but don't charge you for it). I guess the question is, is the show-off factor, being able to impress someone pretending you have a P100D, worth owning a car you can only fix yourself?

I think this car actually was a 2016 P100D. The rear diffuser, side rocker panels, front fascia and headlights are all OEM facelift, not aftermarket. Hacking/rooting the MCU to show P100DL and completely gutting the car inside and out with facelift OEM retrofit parts seems less likely than this originally being a 2016 P100D and the 2015 P85D being a mistake. But I sure wouldn’t be willing to bet on that if I were buying the car.

My EV-CPO subscription has lapsed but it would be interesting to search that VIN to see if it’s original configuration can be located.

Last edited:
Never mind - that VIN was clearly a P85D originally. Damn that is some sneaky rebadging. Making the exterior OEM facelift is one thing, but there’s a big difference between the battery and motor - unless you think those are upgraded too? Doubt they swapped in a 100; I understand that’s not exactly plug-and-play for an original 85 chassis (unlike a 90 battery which is easily swapped I think)

Isn’t it possible to toggle between trim levels on the MCU with the old Easter egg (display purposes only)

Tesla 'Performance Mode' Easter Egg Lets You Toggle Between Vehicles
This car is rebuilt, so whoever's did it had root access to the MCU, so they can do whatever they feel like. Changing the configuration file to make the MCU think it's a P100D is simple once you have access. They could have also swapped out the bitmap of the badges, but that would be vulnerable to updates reverting it back.

the crashed car does not have AP2 cameras it cannot just miraculously be retrofitted to a 2015. and its not just external things either, the "fixed" photos even have newer upgraded things inside, such as the rear USB slots and rear cupholders which were not on a 2015.

that is 100% not the same car. that 2015 is probably junked. The VIN screen photo is either taken from a different car to fool a buyer that comes in and never checks on the VIN to confirm, or somehow it has been hacked?? Maybe its a stolen car that somehow got reprogrammed using a different VIN to hide in plain sight.

Last edited:
That trim is carbon fiber.
I have it on my car, so i know it very well.

I also do not think that is a P100D as i believe they all came in the vegan leather, and updated seats.
At best it could be a P90D, however im not 100% sure about this.

I am in agreement with everyone saying the car in the picture and the crashed car are two different cars entirely, unless its a richrebuilds where he took 2 cars and frankenstein it into the the other.

Also, is there such a thing as ludicrous plus? I have insane and insane+, but I haven't heard of Ludi+

Yes there is
Mine says Ludi - Ludi+

20190725-124342.jpg

Last edited: