Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What two USB phone connectors come with the Model 3 delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
My old Droid Turbo and Mrs. Toes Google Pixel 2 didn't seem to be able to connect to either of the delivered connectors. I went to look at the Tesla ordering page and saw 3 options: 1) Lightning, 2) Micro USB, 3) USB-C.

It did look like there were two different style connectors delivered, so one of them must have been able to hook up to one of our phones. Just wanted to see if anyone knew before I try pulling them out to verify. May order a Micro USB for my Droid if that isn't already there.

Thanks,
RT

My old Droid Turbo and Mrs. Toes Google Pixel 2 didn't seem to be able to connect to either of the delivered connectors. I went to look at the Tesla ordering page and saw 3 options: 1) Lightning, 2) Micro USB, 3) USB-C.

It did look like there were two different style connectors delivered, so one of them must have been able to hook up to one of our phones. Just wanted to see if anyone knew before I try pulling them out to verify. May order a Micro USB for my Droid if that isn't already there.

Thanks,
RT

As others have said, the car is delivered with one USB-C and one Lightning cable. The Pixel 2 has a USB-C port, so one of the cables should have worked. You might need to adjust the angle of the plug slightly and make sure your case is thin enough to sit on the phone mat and plug in. If you have a huge case, it might not be able to plug in.

You could think about getting a female USB-C to male mirco-USB adapter for your Droid. It wouldn't sit flush with the bottom of the dock, but you wouldn't have to worry about orientation of the micro-USB cable.

You usually get one Lightening and one USB-C. Note that with Micro-USB there is the added complication of the orientation, as it is no reversible as the other two.

Ok, some progress to report, and since a picture is worth 1,000 words here goes...

Tesla%20Micro-USB%20cable_zps6fmgie9r.jpg

I ordered the Micro-USB connector, it was delivered today. It doesn't look like the orientation is a concern, since the Tesla cable ends with the male connector seen at the top, and my phone (Droid Turbo XT1254, yes, I know, get a new phone...) has the female connector shown at the bottom. It seems like the Tesla connector would work whether the phone connector was as it is or upside down.

I plugged the phone in with 72% charge and it reported that it was charging over USB, with 56 minutes to go. Cool, so I expected to see about 1% every two minutes. So I hung out in the car (yea, I know, it was a slow evening...) waiting to see a couple % upticks in the charge %. Lo and behold, after 10 minutes, it finally ticked down to 71%.

As others have mentioned, the front USB ports do not have as much power as the back USB ports. And this was only a 10 minute test so don't bet the farm on these results. But if you are looking to do any serious phone charging or even maintaining a steady charge, this doesn't appear to be the solution.

My wall turbo charger probably does 1% every minute or so for comparison.

RT

So some additional info. I plugged the phone in today for the drive into work. Drive took about 15 minutes. The phone charged from 39% to 47%, which is about what I was expecting to see yesterday when it didn't charge at all. The only difference was that I was actually driving versus sitting in the parked car. Maybe the USB port doesn't supply full power unless the car is moving? Seems strange, since when I was parked the phone indicated that it was charging. Anyway, looks like it does charge the phone at least when the vehicle is in motion.

I also recently replaced the phone charging port. You have to wonder how these phone ports will handle being connected when the car is bouncing around on the road. That a whole other environment than when they are sitting on your desk charging. Obviously wireless charging solves that issue, but then you sacrifice speed of charge.

RT