Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What type of outlet is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The parking garage I park at daily for work has free EV chargers. The one looks like a standard 110V 20 amp GFCI, but they have another one that says 'quick charge station 220V' and looks like possible a 6-30 outlet? Here's the photos of whats there:

sign above the '220V':
electrice.jpg

what is this?:
6_30e.jpg

is this a 20 amp?:
photoe.jpg

if that white one is a 6-30, is the Model S going to have a 6-30 adapter to use it? I know we can get a 5-15 adapter which would work for that 20 amp outlet there, but I dont see a 6-30 on the tesla gear site....

Last edited:
Yea I found a website with a NEMA chart on it and I see what you are all saying too. The white one is the 20A/240V and the black one is the 120V 20A. So I guess I'll only get 3/4mph out of the white one, and no way to 'officially' use the 240V. I hope they come out with an adapter for that one. I read that using a hack-adapter for the 240V is very dangerous. There's a few threads on here that go into detail on that so I won't rehash any of that. If Tesla does come out with an adapter for that one, how many mph of recharge do you think that would get?

Yea I found a website with a NEMA chart on it and I see what you are all saying too. The white one is the 20A/240V and the black one is the 120V 20A. So I guess I'll only get 3/4mph out of the white one, and no way to 'officially' use the 240V. I hope they come out with an adapter for that one. I read that using a hack-adapter for the 240V is very dangerous. There's a few threads on here that go into detail on that so I won't rehash any of that. If Tesla does come out with an adapter for that one, how many mph of recharge do you think that would get?
I charge with my J1772 and limit the incoming amps to 20 using the current limiter option on the charging touchscreen. Today I put back 71 ideal miles of range in 4 hours which works out to about 17.75 miles an hour. Here is the charging peak. Mean garage temp was 38°F; at lower temps the miles you get will be less since more goes to keep the battery at proper charging temp.

Hobo 02-24-13.JPG

I charge with my J1772 and limit the incoming amps to 20 using the current limiter option on the charging touchscreen. Today I put back 71 ideal miles of range in 4 hours which works out to about 17.75 miles an hour. Here is the charging peak. Mean garage temp was 38°F; at lower temps the miles you get will be less since more goes to keep the battery at proper charging temp.

16A is max continuous load charging current from a 6-20, so you'd lose another 20% or so (or you'd burn up the receptacle).

16A is max continuous load charging current from a 6-20, so you'd lose another 20% or so (or you'd burn up the receptacle).

FlasherZ: What is the max allowable continuous current one can draw from a regular household (NEMA 5-15) 15A 120V receptacle? I assume that the UMC sets it's maximum rate to that amount, but I haven't measured it myself. I'm impressed with the precision to which the current is limited using the charge limiting settings on the touchscreen. Set at 20 amps my average draws have been between 19.388 and 19.999 amps this month. I almost never see any instantaneous draws over 20A. The 19.999 average draw did have a few, but it was only a 12 minute top-off session that peaked at 20.061A max. (Of course, the three decimal precision reported by my logger makes the measurements look more accurate than they really are, and I don't know what the power factor is for the S.)