Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What type of plug is this? Best Tesla UMC adapter solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
Don't see this on Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

I'm okay with a more universal j1172 solution too if it's cheaper/doesn't hurt the charging process, albeit less elegant

IMG_20191017_130535168.jpg
IMG_20191017_130542549.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Tesla doesn't do customized adapters for you due to cost.

You can call up evseadapters.com and ask for one.

One good news is it won't harm your car.

Will do.

I thought I'd seen this type plug-> UMC/J1172 aftermarket adapter, but can't find it anymore.

You do raise an interesting point about safety. This is a solar battery free charging station that's close to work but disabled by Chargepoint because of legal issues with owner, Technically it's still working b/c I can hear the fans whirring. I asked them if I could use it by unplugging the j1772 on the wall end (since J1772 end is locked). They said at my own risk. So Tesla UMC is smart enough to shut down and protect the car right?

Apparently the phone reps can't even communicate with it to unlock the j1772 which would solve the problem.I hope they don't move it after I spend all this time/money getting the adapter :)

• Disagree
Could it also be cs6365? I think I can read the letters if zoom in on the socket and will check before ordering this, IF there are no better direct UMC/J1772 solutions ?
Oh, well yeah, you have access to look at it more closely than in that photo, and the outlet type is marked right there on the face of it. I don't see 6365. It looks like 6369 to me, which is another type of outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-CS6369-Receptacle-Industrial-California-Style/dp/B002MPQ4YC

*EDIT* Oh, heh. I just read the description at EVSEAdapters, and it says the CS6365 plug goes into CS6369 receptacles, which does seem a little weird, but is correct So yeah--that would be the one you want.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and Saghost
Oh, well yeah, you have access to look at it more closely than in that photo, and the outlet type is marked right there on the face of it. I don't see 6365. It looks like 6369 to me, which is another type of outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-CS6369-Receptacle-Industrial-California-Style/dp/B002MPQ4YC

*EDIT* Oh, heh. I just read the description at EVSEAdapters, and it says the CS6365 plug goes into CS6369 receptacles, which does seem a little weird, but is correct So yeah--that would be the one you want.

Perfect! I will double check the socket. Funny they don't mass market a CS6365 -> j1172 solution since that's what chargepoint is using., but I'll ask evse as long as custom isn't too expensive.

• Disagree
Perfect! I will double check the socket. Funny they don't mass market a CS6365 -> j1172 solution since that's what chargepoint is using., but I'll ask evse as long as custom isn't too expensive.
I'm wondering why you are so stuck on J1772? That isn't going to happen, because that is hundreds of dollars to include all of the electronics of the signaling, protection measures, etc. What can be made fairly cheaply is just an adapter cable that gets from that weird 50A outlet type to a different kind of 50A outlet type that your Tesla charging cable can plug into. That could be a 6-50 or a 14-50. That is what EVSEAdapters makes.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh and brkaus
I'm wondering why you are so stuck on J1772? That isn't going to happen, because that is hundreds of dollars to include all of the electronics of the signaling, protection measures, etc. What can be made fairly cheaply is just an adapter cable that gets from that weird 50A outlet type to a different kind of 50A outlet type that your Tesla charging cable can plug into. That could be a 6-50 or a 14-50. That is what EVSEAdapters makes.

I didn't know about the hundreds of dollars to include all of the electronics etc. Thx. I thought I wouldn't have to buy another adapter/ more "elegant solution". Strike that idea!

So no way I can from CS6365 plug->UMC (3rd party?). If that's not possible I believe the 14-50 would be a better adapter so I can use it @ home too.

• Disagree
I didn't know about the hundreds of dollars to include all of the electronics etc. Thx. I thought I wouldn't have to buy another adapter/ more "elegant solution". Strike that idea!
Well, maybe this just needs a little explanation of what the pieces of equipment are. There is a device called Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE). There can be wall mounted versions or portable versions of these, but they do the function of connecting to an electrical circuit and then providing some signaling, ground fault protection, etc. and then acting as a relay to offer that connection to an electric car.

The Tesla wall connector, or the Tesla mobile connector, or a J1772 station are all versions of EVSE. So you know how the Tesla wall connector costs $500 and the mobile connector costs $275? That's because they are EVSEs. Any J1772 unit is the same thing and will also cost a few hundred dollars.

So no way I can from CS6365 plug->UMC (3rd party?). If that's not possible I believe the 14-50 would be a better adapter so I can use it @ home too.
Well, yes, that is what is being suggested above. That company, EVSEAdapters, makes those kinds of 3rd party adapters to switch from weird outlets that Tesla doesn't make plugs for, to common outlets that your UMC can plug into with normal plugs that Tesla makes. So this one shown above, would be the one you want:
50A Locking Shore Power (CS6365 / CS6364) to NEMA 14-50R RV/EV Adapter – EVSE Adapters

And then yes, you would need to get a real Tesla 14-50 plug to put onto your UMC to use this.

Reactions: hcdavis3
similar to this L6-30 Adapter for Tesla™ Model S™/X™/3™ Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

I've asked them if they can make something similar. Funny that this L6-30 Adapter for Tesla™ Model S™/X™/3™ Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters looks very similar to the CS6365 plug
I think that is just a business decision of which ones they normally do as just simple pigtail adapter ones of a plug to a receptacle versus ones where they will build semi-real Tesla UMC adapters for. Those UMC-looking ones require them to buy a real adapter plug from Tesla and take it apart to change the plug type on the end, and I guess there may be considerations about which ones are popular enough that they know they can sell them.

Could it also be cs6365? I think I can read the letters if zoom in on the socket and will check before ordering this, IF there are no better direct UMC/J1772 solutions ?

50A Locking Shore Power (CS6365 / CS6364) to NEMA 14-50R RV/EV Adapter – EVSE Adapters

You are getting your connectors mixed up!

There are two sides to an EVSE:

(1) The connector that plugs into the car

(2) the connector that plugs into an electrical outlet!

The one that goes in to the car will be the standard Tesla connector, or on other cars, it will be the J1772!

The one that plugs into the electrical outlet would be the CS6365 that you are mentioning in this post, but obviously varies depending on the outlet!

You are getting your connectors mixed up!

There are two sides to an EVSE:

(1) The connector that plugs into the car

(2) the connector that plugs into an electrical outlet!

The one that goes in to the car will be the standard Tesla connector, or on other cars, it will be the J1772!

The one that plugs into the electrical outlet would be the CS6365 that you are mentioning in this post, but obviously varies depending on the outlet!

no ,just trying to minimize the # of adapters I need to buy I did learn that j1772 is an expensive adapter

So CS6365 -> 14-50->UMC it is, I was hoping for a CS6365 ->UMC solution (which the EVSE co. might make for me, but probably more expensive than 2 adapters

• Disagree
I think that is just a business decision of which ones they normally do as just simple pigtail adapter ones of a plug to a receptacle versus ones where they will build semi-real Tesla UMC adapters for. Those UMC-looking ones require them to buy a real adapter plug from Tesla and take it apart to change the plug type on the end, and I guess there may be considerations about which ones are popular enough that they know they can sell them.

I will ask them if they can do that vs $77+35 for the 2 adapter solution. I guess I could leave the 2 adapters connected and have the versaltilty of a 14-50 if I ever need it. (using 14-30 dryer plug now)

• Disagree
I will ask them if they can do that vs $77+35 for the 2 adapter solution. I guess I could leave the 2 adapters connected and have the versaltilty of a 14-50 if I ever need it. (using 14-30 dryer plug now)
The 14-50 is a good general purpose one to have for the future anyway, because if you do want to travel somewhere that's a bit outside of cities, that is the kind of outlet you can find at campgrounds and RV parks, so for $35, it's got some good usefulness.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
  • Disagree