TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What type of suspension will the 3 have? (not talking about adjustable air)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Sonny Daze, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Do we have information or clues about what type of front suspension the 3 will have? Will it be a double-wishbone type like the S, or will it use McPherson type struts?

2. Neo_fd3s

Neo_fd3s Member

Since it's a scaled down version of the S, it will be double wishbone up front with the multi link setup in the rear.

3. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Cost wise McPherson strut. Ideally double A arm/wishbone as it allows lower ride height and superior adjustability but with a cost.

4. Neo_fd3s

Neo_fd3s Member

Actually, now that I look at the reveal again, I think you're right. It might actually be a McPherson setup...

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  5. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Here's the S for comparison.

upload_2017-4-3_13-46-0.png

• Informative x 3
  6. Neo_fd3s

Neo_fd3s Member

Thanks for the up close of the model S. It's definitely a wishbone setup. The upper portion threw me off. It's not exactly what I would call a traditional upper and lower A arm design. But it is wishbone style.

So I was correct on my first statement. It will have double wishbones up front and a multi link setup in the rear.

• Like x 2
  7. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

From the M3 release event:

"Tesla is expecting that air suspension — as seen in the Model S — will be optional, the test-drive driver said."

8. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

If it truly does end up being a wishbone/multilink setup it almost makes me lean away from going with the air suspension- even if it does has a sport setting- as I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of ride comfort for road feel and the handling advantages that go along with said setup.
    I find it not at all mysterious that an FD owner and an NB Miata owner would be highly interested in this! ;)
    (and thanks for posting S pic Sonny Daze!)