Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What types of future roads could speed limits be raised/eliminated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If in the future autonomous safety systems make it so we can safely raise the speed limit or eliminate it all together, what types of roads would it be done on? To me this is what I think. Interstates are obvious, make it like the autobahn and do away with speed limits, this will be fine with the added safety tech and given that Germany's highways have fewer crashes than on US highways even though they don't have speed limits. I think on rural highways both divided and not, we could eliminate speed limits, remember im talking about highly advanced safety and crash avoidance systems. I do think that in urban streets with pedestrians and many intersecting streets with low speed limits will remain what they are regardless of advances in safety systems. Basically most streets currently with a 55 or higher speed limit, the limit could be eliminated. Anything below that has valid reason to be lover for things like pedestrians and many intersections and obviously iin neighborhoods and down town and very crowded streets. Maybe streets that currently have a 50 or maybe 45 speed limit, the limit could be raised but not eliminated but I think for sure anything currently 40 or below should and will stay low like they are. .

There are a lot of bits to speed limits.

First, keep in mind that the US has the most dangerous roads of all developed (OECD) countries. You are 3 times as likely to be killed in a car, 5-7 times as likely to be killed riding a bicycle, and 10-15 times as likely to be killed while walking. Our roads are more dangerous than Greece who is second worst.

Tire/wind noise is a major issue. The sound of a speedway nearby when you're trying to enjoy your backyard isn't pleasant so higher speeds will need to be away from populated areas or tech to reduce the noise developed. This applies to motorways and to county roads (50 MPH is something like 3 times as loud as 40 MPH).

Any place that might have pedestrians or bicycles crossing or walking/riding adjacent s/b lower speed. This both for safety (how reliably can the system detect and react to whatever in a crossing?) but also for pleasantness & comfort. When roads are wet a car can also throw a considerable wake that must be taken in to account. Noise plays a bit here as well.

How much of an issue are deer? They can appear very quickly, can total a car, and cause fatalities. If the roadway isn't sufficiently fenced to prevent their presence then anything faster than about 50 MPH starts to get risky, particularly at night.

Is the road design and surface sufficient for X speed?

Higher speeds cause greater wear & tear on roadways, who will pay for that?

I drive on the Autobahn, Autostrada, and other high/no speed motorways fairly frequently. I'm a proponent of higher speeds on them when it's appropriate, but there are issues that have to be addressed along the way.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AZ Desert Driver