Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What USB-type flash drive should I purchase for the Tesla Cam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the USB-C change is quite recent I don't believe anybody has done a new splitter designed for it.... @Navak is a user here though so possibly he can speak to if he is working on one for that port?
thanks @Knightshade! Currently have no plans to develop USB-C hub. Type-C itself is not strong to hold up the standalone hub.
Taptes/Jeda are working on a solution where they use USB-C and Type-A connectors combined. I like Navak`s small footprint.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightshade
Seems to match with what I mentioned- that I'd pull my 128GB key out every 3-4 months to clear it off and it'd be 1/3-1/2 full each time.

Now though you can clean it off right from the screen in the car so no need to even remove it unless you're wanting to permanently archive recordings from it on another device.

I think most people prefer not having to clear anything, as that be a closer definition to the phrase - “more than plenty”

I think most people prefer not having to clear anything, as that be a closer definition to the phrase - “more than plenty”

then almost nothing is large enough.

I only get a few sentry hits a day, and my 128GB is 1/3-1/2 full every 3-4 months.

So even a 1TB drive would fill up in that situation in less time than most folks own a car- and MUCH less time if they park somewhere even a little busier. (it does overwrite the oldest stuff in that case, but it's bad for the drive to run it 95% full most of the time)

I suppose you could drop like $600-700 on a 4TB SSD, and an enclosure for it, if you REALLY want to avoid having to make 20 seconds to clear out the drive a couple times a year THAT bad....doesn't seem to make much sense though.

The car only writes at 2MB/s, there's no need for a "fast" drive- especially when the USB ports are only USB2 anyway.

If you require a place for dashcam storage and TWO USB-A ports (say for a phone charger, and for either a game controller, or a USB key holding music) then get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Navak-Combo-Adapter-Tesla-Model/dp/B08B3FY8X8

Plugs into same OEM port, provides one SDcard slot for dashcam storage. one 1.5 amp USB-A charging (and data) port for phone charging, and 1 500mA data port for music key/game controller/whatever.

This is great information. I was looking for something like this so I can have a dedicated USB thumbdrive for Sentry Mode and another differently-formatted stick for music. Also, I didn't realize one could connect a USB game-controller to the Tesla! Nice. :D

Thanks!