Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Use, Visualizations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla frequently improves the visualizations, showing more detail, different kinds of animals, car types, etc. I agree that they're very cool, but I don't think I actually use them for anything other than knowing that autopilot is on. My car has windows after all. Do you use them for anything else?

FSD-Beta-10_12-2022-16-Driving-Visualizations-768x1024.png

• Disagree
Reactions: ohmman and smatthew
Tesla frequently improves the visualizations, showing more detail, different kinds of animals, car types, etc. I agree that they're very cool, but I don't think I actually use them for anything other than knowing that autopilot is on. My car has windows after all. Do you use them for anything else?

View attachment 816289
The visualizations are there for you to…wait for it…look at.

My humble opinion is that they are there to inform us, the human, that the car is indeed seeing those things and reacting to them. Autopilot and FSD could very well work without any visualization but I think humans would panic. I've seen so many people complaining that there was no feedback for something so they believed the car was broken... Most people need something to display to reassure them.
It's even more relevant during a beta, to help validate when there are issues with things the car doesn't account for.

The visualizations are there for you to…wait for it…look at.
I'd rather have the screen real estate for other uses. I'm not going to watch a Pole Position version of myself while I'm actually driving.

The older, vertical-screen Model S cars, prior to v9 firmware, would allow two apps at once. This is something I would like on the 3, if it didn't remove speed and other important info - such as being able to watch the trip meter and the map at the same time.

Reactions: Transformer
I'd rather have the screen real estate for other uses. I'm not going to watch a Pole Position version of myself while I'm actually driving.

The older, vertical-screen Model S cars, prior to v9 firmware, would allow two apps at once. This is something I would like on the 3, if it didn't remove speed and other important info - such as being able to watch the trip meter and the map at the same time.
The new model S doesn’t have this issue either. The entry-level 3/Y screen is always going to be cluttered with the visualizations as long as Tesla keeps employing 20-something’s with no driving experience to design the Ui/Ux

The new model S doesn’t have this issue either. The entry-level 3/Y screen is always going to be cluttered with the visualizations as long as Tesla keeps employing 20-something’s with no driving experience to design the Ui/Ux
What kind of person in their 20s wouldn’t have at least a few years’ worth of driving experience? Other than native New Yorkers who can taxi/subway 24/7/365?

My humble opinion is that they are there to inform us, the human, that the car is indeed seeing those things and reacting to them. Autopilot and FSD could very well work without any visualization but I think humans would panic. I've seen so many people complaining that there was no feedback for something so they believed the car was broken... Most people need something to display to reassure them.
It's even more relevant during a beta, to help validate when there are issues with things the car doesn't account for.
Totally agree. A visual, tangible confirmation that FSD is improving is just as important as the invisible parts, i.e. algorithms, code, and actual behavior. It's just the psychology of an average consumer. If you don't feel that way, then you're "above average", so pat yourself on the back.

There is also the modernization aspect of it. No car before Tesla had this feature, I mean, real-time rendering of the environment with this much detail. It's evidence of modernization just like one-pedal driving. When people who have never seen it see it for the first time, it will change their perspective on what a car can do. It definitely made an impression on my first test drive, and I'm sure it had an impact on my decision to put in an order the same day.

• Love
Reactions: GtiMart

lots of car have AP/lane keeping assist and it works just fine.

Reactions: ajp558