Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What version does FSD come out in 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am waiting order for M3SR and put additional 12k for FSD. Here are my questions.

1.What version do I have when I pick it up? Is it 10.9? or 10.10.
2. Is current version good enough for daily driving in city?
3.People keep saying that you may lose FSD privileges for dangerous driving but if I purchase FSD, how does it work?
4. I know you can add FSD after delivery. Can you remove FSD after purchase?

You do not get Beta. You get Full Self Driving Capability Package.

5F6BF15C-8B9A-43C7-9A65-B6F753D2CAE1.jpeg

Last edited:
I am waiting order for M3SR and put additional 12k for FSD. Here are my questions.

3.People keep saying that you may lose FSD privileges for dangerous driving but if I purchase FSD, how does it work?
The stuff you are referring to is part of the FSD beta program, which you wont get with the car (you can apply to enroll in the beta, however). There is currently no (known) release timelines/dates for FSD city streets in production. If I recall, the get a grace period to request a refund when you buy FSD as an upgrade, but I'm pretty sure you dont have that option if you purchase it with the car.

Basically, no. You *can* use it to drive along roads and (mostly) stop at red lights, but most other functions are up to you (making turns, negotiating traffic etc). Without the FSD beta the car can drive reliably on freeways and (mostly) on divided highways with no intersections.
So until I get choose to be beta user or beta test is released, this autopilot is basically for highway.
And FSD with navigation feature is basically autopilot with auto lane change or getting in/out of ramp...

Does other FSD features (summon, auto park) get to use daily driving? or is it more like show up xD

So until I get choose to be beta user or beta test is released, this autopilot is basically for highway.
And FSD with navigation feature is basically autopilot with auto lane change or getting in/out of ramp...

Does other FSD features (summon, auto park) get to use daily driving? or is it more like show up xD
You will get the other FSD features on delivery (summon etc), just not the city streets (beta) FSD feature.

1.) You get whatever version of Standard FSD that comes with the general release a few days after you get the car. Then you can apply to for the FSD Beta, and then prey to some god that somehow you'll manage to ace the safety score which you won't because you're in LA.

2.) The current version of FSD Beta is no way good enough for daily driving in a city

3.) It's a rumor, but its extremely rare. For a bit they did disable FSD Beta for people the SW accused of dangerous driving, but I think some of that was SW glitches. The number of strikes got reset.

4.) You can turn off FSD, but you can't get refunded for it.

Personally I think paying for FSD is a huge mistake. You're much better off occasionally subscribing, and seeing how good it gets. Tesla is a long ways away from it satisfying #2 which sounds like what you want.

Here is what you get with current FSD general release

Auto-Lane Change - This is the best feature by far of FSD. This allows the car to change lanes automatically when you click the turn signal while in AP. You do have to check first to make sure the path is clear. This makes using AP so smooth as without FSD you'll have to cancel out of AP, do the lane change, and then reenable AP.

NoA - It's supposed to be an on-ramp to off-ramp driver aid where it will change lanes automatically for speed, and navigation reason. It doesn't work unless its away from areas with a lot of traffic, and the situation is really simple. It's by far the most disappointing feature.

Traffic light and stop sign response - You have to turn this feature off as it causes too many phantom braking events to be worthwhile.

Smart Summon - It's a neat party trick, but entirely pointless as you have to take full responsibility for it. This means you always have to be in visual range where you can see everything.

Auto Park - It's terribly slow. If it wasn't so slow it would be useful.

Basically I would call everything under FSD as a work in progress, and this is why I believe subscribing is the best approach. This allows you to tell Tesla it sucks by canceling it one month after you subscribe to it.

If Tesla had Auto-lane change as part of basic AP the take rate for FSD would likely be cut in half at least.

Here is what you get with current FSD general release

Auto-Lane Change - This is the best feature by far of FSD. This allows the car to change lanes automatically when you click the turn signal while in AP. You do have to check first to make sure the path is clear. This makes using AP so smooth as without FSD you'll have to cancel out of AP, do the lane change, and then reenable AP.

NoA - It's supposed to be an on-ramp to off-ramp driver aid where it will change lanes automatically for speed, and navigation reason. It doesn't work unless its away from areas with a lot of traffic, and the situation is really simple. It's by far the most disappointing feature.

Traffic light and stop sign response - You have to turn this feature off as it causes too many phantom braking events to be worthwhile.

Smart Summon - It's a neat party trick, but entirely pointless as you have to take full responsibility for it. This means you always have to be in visual range where you can see everything.

Auto Park - It's terribly slow. If it wasn't so slow it would be useful.

Basically I would call everything under FSD as a work in progress, and this is why I believe subscribing is the best approach. This allows you to tell Tesla it sucks by canceling it one month after you subscribe to it.

If Tesla had Auto-lane change as part of basic AP the take rate for FSD would likely be cut in half at least.
so it is waste of money until autosteer on city streets is included to FSD....

It’s not clear to me from the OP whether you’ve already added FSD to your order, but if it’s not too late to remove it and try the subscription instead, you can find the subscription details here: Full Self-Driving Capability Subscriptions. I think that would be your best option, so you can decide for yourself whether or not FSD is worth paying for.

As already noted, once you pay for FSD and take delivery, you can’t remove it and get a refund.

If you can cancel the FSD package in your order, do it now. Once you get the car, you can subscribe to FSD for $200 a month to play with the features and show off the parlor tricks to your friends, but I am betting you'll decide the packaged isn't worth $12K. You can also always subscribe again for another $200 when you go on long trips and want Navigate on Autopilot (although just AutoPilot does most of it quite nicely). Of course, if I am wrong, you can always pay the $12K and add FSD later.

Reactions: RTPEV
That's for you to judge. A lot of people (me included) find NoA to be very useful. Smart summon is more a novelty (unless its pouring with rain!). Auto-park is nice when it works, but is still a WIP.
You should make a video of NoA working from Seattle to Portland.

I've been thinking of donating X amount of money to the charity of choice the first person who successfully uses NoA to go from North of Seattle (like Lynnwood or Everett) to Portland, OR without any take over events.

NoA without confirmation for lane changes, and set to get out of the passing lane.

The car would use Tesla Vision (as that's what's on my car).

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow

I've been thinking of donating X amount of money to the charity of choice the first person who successfully uses NoA to go from North of Seattle (like Lynnwood or Everett) to Portland, OR without any take over events.

NoA without confirmation for lane changes, and set to get out of the passing lane.

But I dont need it to do that, just do most of the grunt boring driving on long stretches. Last time I drove through Tacoma the freeway work going on was such a mess it was clear even the human drivers were confused, so I took over for that stretch.

I'll wait until we have a unified FSD stack that is stable before taking on that challenge :)

But I dont need it to do that, just do most of the grunt boring driving on long stretches. Last time I drove through Tacoma the freeway work going on was such a mess it was clear even the human drivers were confused, so I took over for that stretch.

I'll wait until we have a unified FSD stack that is stable before taking on that challenge :)
I don't mind driving manually for 5 minutes at messed up areas if NOA handles rest of 99%.

BTW, the guy tracking disengagement rates puts highway at 1 in about 100 miles.

1646271641098.png

My car would lose every time with confirmation for lane changes enabled since it just loves to move into the fast lane with cars approaching too quickly. It works very well getting out of the passing lane though.

Every time I try it even on the boring bits it does something stupid.

Like last time (10.10.9) it kept getting into the passing lane, and then a minute later it would exit the passing lane. The car ahead was really far ahead, and it had no reason to get in the passing lane.

After about 5-6 times of this within a span on 15 minutes or so I decided to uncheck "exit passing lane" to see what it would do, and then to humor me it decided to get in the right most lane for who knows what reason. My set speed was 80mph (10mph over the speed limit).

The Phantom braking, and the ridiculous lane choices is why NoA has never met my expectations. It was supposed to be something that would insure I was in the correct lane for complicated interchanges. It was also for the boring bits for passing people, and then getting back over.

I traded in a Model S Tesla with AP that already did AP + Auto lane changes just fine so NoA was supposed to be a lot better, but its easier to just use AP + auto lane change.

Tacoma is a hell hole, but I believe the updated maps no longer try to direct you off the freeway and then back on. So it might be possible to get through it on I5 without disengaging AP.

Anyways the point of tests like that is to see if something actual works.

Like I can't get from Snohomish to Portland, and back without TACC or AP phantom braking at least a few times. I can however get from Snohomish to Portland and back without my Jeep Wranglers Adaptive Cruise Control system phantom braking. Now I would never recommend the Jeep Wranglers Adaptive Cruise control system as it really tries to accelerate when there is a gap. I'm not sure why they couldn't tune it down so it gradually gained speed back up. So it too gets a failure from me.

Maybe I outta start a YouTube channel demonstrating that nothing works. :)