Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what vin changed grey color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something weird happened. What you wrote could explain it, but the VIN is a Dec VIN. And had it made it through the order queue far enough to get a paint job in July, it would have had a VIN. My car is a mystery go me. I do love the color though.
The paint job doesn't happen until your car is in production. The VIN is also not assigned right away. Your order went into the queue with a particular paint code, and Tesla continued to honor that paint code... it just wasn't accepting any new orders for that paint code after July.

The paint job doesn't happen until your car is in production. The VIN is also not assigned right away. Your order went into the queue with a particular paint code, and Tesla continued to honor that paint code... it just wasn't accepting any new orders for that paint code after July.

Yes, this can happen and I have seen it a few times as options changed and or were replaced with something else.

View attachment 109060

I totally agree...baffling. Next time I have a chance I will ask for a code. This is my car. Built Dec 2014. So its absolutely not Dolphin Grey. But its very much not Midnight Grey either.

Didn't think of asking for the code at my annual service last month. Just asked about the words. Next time... I will ask the better question. No touch up paint??? Seriously???

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 109061

Better photo with better light.

Jeff, I think there are only two greys. Dolphin Grey and Midnight Silver Metallic (Steel Grey)
The Tesla sales person said that the change was sometime in the later half of 2014. He guesses vin P50xxx

Which grey is this? I always thought this was the best color for the model S. Unfortunately they don't offer it any longer. It doesn't look like dolphin or midnight.

image.jpeg

Would love to find someone at Tesla who could reverse engineer what happened that they completed a Dolphin Grey car on Dec 22, 2014, complete with Autopilot. I may have the only Dolphin Grey AP car. Very exclusive club, me. I guess it is for sale now. $125,000. Such a deal for this one of a kind collectors item. :)

I am 618xx...and Dolphin. So somewhere in that 11,000 cars. [emoji15]
You can't go by VIN range. (If you want to... then I'm 555xx and originally Dolphin as well, so only a spread of 6300 cars or so.)

Also note that my car was delivered 2 days before CHG-ON's, yet my VIN is 4500 cars later. They don't produce VINs in order. VIN range has no correlation with calendar dates.

Last edited:
You can't go by VIN range. (If you want to... then I'm 555xx and originally Dolphin as well, so only a spread of 6300 cars or so.)
1. We know. I was being humorous.
2. How would you being 555xx make it a range of only 6300, when I am 618xx and said that in my last post with at least an 11,000 car range?

I think I may be the highest VIN with Dolphin. Does your car have AP?

I would say yes. But if you read through the whole thread you will quickly find that we really have no idea. Go check your paint code on the driver's door frame above the rocker. TG is Dolphin. NG is midnight Silver.

The silver colors look way different depending on light. Lighter, darker, bluer, greyer, blacker, silverer...all depends on light. The nice thing about Teslas silver/Grey is it is a complicated color. Lots to it...

1. We know. I was being humorous.
2. How would you being 555xx make it a range of only 6300, when I am 618xx and said that in my last post with at least an 11,000 car range?
A misunderstanding, I guess? I thought you were measuring the difference between yourself and the closest VIN to be ordered with Dolphin Grey. (While I ended up getting Steel Grey, they were going to let my order of Dolphin Grey stand unless I actively chose to change it, which I did.)

I think I may be the highest VIN with Dolphin. Does your car have AP?
Yes, it's certainly possible you are the highest VIN with Dolphin Grey.

Yes, my car has AP; see my signature below. It was built within the first week of AP production (from what I've read elsewhere on the forums, that began somewhere between September 16-19.) As I said before, the production delay turned out to be a good thing for me. If I'd ordered a day or two earlier, I might have fallen on the wrong side of that line and missed getting Autopilot.

So is this midnight silver (steel) grey ?

Yes. That's it. Dolphin is quite a bit lighter and flatter. Here are the photos that sold me, per my PM to you. Just found them. The first is the one that did it for me. I didn't even see the color in the flesh before taking delivery and I have been very happy with it. Of course, it is all personal taste.

You can see how much lighter the Dolphin is. The Midnight has much more depth to it due to primarily to a bit of blue, and a small amount red, in the composition. It makes a dark (some would say boring) color pop more than one would expect.

image003.jpg
image004.jpg