Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What VIN does AutoPilot start?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what VIN Tesla started adding AutoPilot hardware/software?
The earliest I have seen is 55966. Briefly speaking to Tesla rep they said late 50s.

Next, for example, if I see a Tesla with VIN 065000 and does NOT have AutoPilot as part of tech package:
1. can it be added later?
2. OR does it come with the AutoPilot hardware and owner would pay $3k to have software enabled WHEN v7 comes out?
3. OR during initial build IF customer did NOT add AutoPilot then Tesla does NOT even place the hardware?

Hope this makes sense. Goal would be to buy used CPO with VIN in AutoPilot range. Just want to know if AutoPilot will be able to be added later if not installed initially.

VINs aren't necessarily the same thing as order of production, so it's possible (perhaps even common) to have an older VIN with and a newer VIN without in a particular range of VINs.

i just looked at a 2014 with a build date of September 2014. I was told by tesla that that was the switching month.
The previous owner traded it in because it did not have auto pilot hardware...it was a crap shoot...since it was ordered that let it ride and lost....

Regarding another vehicle that does not have auto pilot but does have the hardware...since its a never registered new vehicle with miles, i have the option to add new...and if i purchase without I can add later for the higher amount
if it is registered my only option is to add with the higher 3 k amount.....hope that helps.....

I remember this event quite well... here is a quote from The Options History WIKI....

"In Late September 2014, AutoPilot hardware was added to the Model S via the "Tech Package with Autopilot" option. Technology that was added were a camera in front center top windshield along with a forward radar located in the front lower grill and sonar sensors in the far outside rear bumpers and far outside front bumpers."

There were a few P85+ that did make it out of the factory equipped with the AutoPilot camera, sensor and radar package. Such P85+ are very rare. However, not every late September S did get the sensors for some reason, probably due to the date when the car was confirmed. Certainly, once October production started, most all model S did have the sensor package.

Of note, as indicated above, the VIN number is not a reliable method for the sensor package inclusion... Let your eyes be the proof by looking for the sensors, camera and radar.

Interesting. Thanks for all replies and verifying the VIN issue.

So, to be safe:
1. Virtually any Tesla P85 built AFTER, say, OCTOBER 2014 will have the AutoPilot Hardware installed with Tech Package.
2. If NOT enabled, $3k to enable.
3. Of course, to verify....would need to be sure camera and sensors are installed.
This all sound RIGHT?

Interesting. Thanks for all replies and verifying the VIN issue.

So, to be safe:
1. Virtually any Tesla P85 built AFTER, say, OCTOBER 2014 will have the AutoPilot Hardware installed with Tech Package.
2. If NOT enabled, $3k to enable.
3. Of course, to verify....would need to be sure camera and sensors are installed.
This all sound RIGHT?

Yes you pretty much have 1 correct.
As for 2, you will have to ask your SC for exact costs. I am not aware of the true total costs to enable the software functionality.
Regarding 3, yup that is right.

As an aside, you should have been here when the unannounced sensor package started being quietly installed on new Model S's.
More than a few folks who were awaiting their cars, well, they were not so happy when they found them to be "lacking" in the sensor package.
Likewise, a similar reaction was again relived when the Heated Steering Wheel was quietly added to the Cold Weather Option later that year.
Again, most recently the 4G LTE just started to be installed... there appears to be a ~$600 retrofit available from your SC for 3G Model S to upgrade to 4G LTE...

Telsa has to make these incremental improvements to the car at some time... you just hope it does not happen the day after your car was assembled.

VIN 53799 delivered 9/29/14 and it has it. Factory said it was being delivered the previous week and a half. BTW, met a very irate P85 owner at the Oxnard Supercharger in October, who was unloading on a Tesla employee also using the supercharger, about missing it by a week. He was VERY unhappy, mainly complaining that if he knew, he would have waited. That, though, is what sends shivers down manufacturers spines, that are announcing model year improvements but need to still sell existing inventory.

Scotty

Thanks...a lot of you barely squeaked by getting the AutoPilot hardware. NOW the ones with Hardware... you would still need to pay $3k to ENABLE, right?
Scotty... luck of the draw with that owner and can see where he is coming from but that does happen, has to be a cutoff somewhere.
I am trying to hold out for next couple months to see if any AutoPilot P85 comes across the line with AutoPilot hardware installed. Will be challenging but hopeful.

I missed it by a couple of days with my first Model S which I traded by to Tesla. VIN 56107. You'll note that's higher than multiple people who have said they got it. Because as you've already been told you can't tell by VIN because they aren't built in that order. The only way to be sure is to look at the build date. Unfortunately, that is only given as month/year on the door placard. So basically you'll have to go off October 2014 or later. If you really want to know ask the owner or in the case of a CPO Tesla.

Not that you'll come across them in the U.S. But there are a number of model S cars in Australia with VINs in 46xxx series which have fully equipped and operating autopilot functions. These weren't delivered until December 2014.

Just proves an extreme case of VIN won't tell you if the car has hardware or not!

Not that you'll come across them in the U.S. But there are a number of model S cars in Australia with VINs in 46xxx series which have fully equipped and operating autopilot functions. These weren't delivered until December 2014.

Just proves an extreme case of VIN won't tell you if the car has hardware or not!

Actually you'll find such vehicles in the US. I've seen a 46xxx P85 in the US with Autopilot. Was sitting at the Seattle Service Center when I turned in my S85 without it.

Yah, Tesla VINs seem to be assigned after you confirm your configuration. Some folks confirm and then specify a delivery date up to six months into the future. So when their car is built, the VIN appears to be about 6 months out of sequence. This is what I have been told. Also, this applies to European, AsiaPAC and other export destinations. I am not sure but it has been said that Tesla kind of builds those cars in "batches" therefore a few months of demand is aggregated into a future production run. Again this info is not confirmed but is based upon reading various posts here on TMC.