Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was in the Charging bundle on 2018 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My boss recently got her 2018 Model 3 back from a body shop, missing the charging bundle. Shop says they have no idea where it went, boss says it was in the trunk. I have to get it replaced and need to know what to order. What was included in the original round bag that came with this vehicle? thank you!

My boss recently got her 2018 Model 3 back from a body shop, missing the charging bundle. Shop says they have no idea where it went, boss says it was in the trunk. I have to get it replaced and need to know what to order. What was included in the original round bag that came with this vehicle? thank you!
It was a square bag and it contained the UMC (Tesla Mobile Connector) and the 5-15 and 14-50 adapters.

Seems kind of crappy that it disappeared.

EDIT: As mentioned below, also J1772 adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
I don't know if it was different for 2018, but my 2019 came with the Mobile Connector with both NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs, as well as the J1772 adapter. The latter might or might not have been stored with the former in your boss's car. Tesla's site shows the former as being out of stock and reports it will begin shipping in August. If you need immediate replacement, then you might be able to find something used or from a "third-party seller" (scalper); or you could go with a similar portable level 2 J1772 EVSE. There are lots available, but be sure to go with a reputable brand, not a fly-by-night Amazon/eBay "special" from some unknown Chinese manufacturer.

A side note: Tesla's site is currently showing just one Mobile Connector, with an option for either NEMA 5-15 (120v; level 1) or NEMA 5-15 plus 14-50 plugs (240v; level 2). I seem to recall that when they first dropped this item as standard with cars, they announced two Mobile Connector offerings, one of which was level 1 only and the other of which supported both speeds, with a big price gap between them ($200 vs. $450, IIRC). I don't know if my memory is faulty, if Tesla rapidly changed their product lineup, or if the current Web store listing is incomplete/inaccurate.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I don't know if it was different for 2018, but my 2019 came with the Mobile Connector with both NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs, as well as the J1772 adapter. The latter might or might not have been stored with the former in your boss's car. Tesla's site shows the former as being out of stock and reports it will begin shipping in August. If you need immediate replacement, then you might be able to find something used or from a "third-party seller" (scalper); or you could go with a similar portable level 2 J1772 EVSE. There are lots available, but be sure to go with a reputable brand, not a fly-by-night Amazon/eBay "special" from some unknown Chinese manufacturer.

A side note: Tesla's site is currently showing just one Mobile Connector, with an option for either NEMA 5-15 (120v; level 1) or NEMA 5-15 plus 14-50 plugs (240v; level 2). I seem to recall that when they first dropped this item as standard with cars, they announced two Mobile Connector offerings, one of which was level 1 only and the other of which supported both speeds, with a big price gap between them ($200 vs. $450, IIRC). I don't know if my memory is faulty, if Tesla rapidly changed their product lineup, or if the current Web store listing is incomplete/inaccurate.
thank you for this info - I greatly appreciate it!

It was a square bag and it contained the UMC (Tesla Mobile Connector) and the 5-15 and 14-50 adapters.

Thats what was in the bag in the trunk with my 2018 Model 3 P as well. Additionally, My J1772 adapter was also in there when I took delivery, but I have no idea if the delivery agent put it in there, or it came that way. I took out the J1772 adapter andput it in my glove compartment (where it still is).

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

I agree... you'd think something like that would be safe in the trunk at a Tesla-approved body shop. Thank you for the info. She specifically told me there was a round case missing, so maybe there was something else in there too that went missing? I hope I'll be successful in locating replacements.

Thats what was in the bag in the trunk with my 2018 Model 3 P as well. Additionally, My J1772 adapter was also in there when I took delivery, but I have no idea if the delivery agent put it in there, or it came that way. I took out the J1772 adapter andput it in my glove compartment (where it still is).
Yes, also the J1772 adapter. As you do, I keep it separate from the rest of the kit (though I never use public charging stations now so it should really go back in the bag).

I just got my car back from a service and it was missing too. Very frustrating. No one at Tesla says they used it and I cant actually prove anything so Im out the 250 its going to cost to replace pending I can even get a mobile charger anytime soon from Tesla. Assuming Tesla is telling the truth I think the chargers are just an easy buck for thieves when the cars are all unlocked in service mode at the centers.

As said, in 2018, the UMC bundle included the main unit with both a 5-15 and 14-50 dongle. The J1772 wasn’t part of the UMC bundle but was often stuffed in there. If your boss had that adapter in the bag, be sure to order one of those as well.

My rule of thumb is to never leave it (or anything else important/expensive to replace) in the car when servicing. If the body shop is Tesla certified and doesn’t have EV charging, they should ask for you to provide the bundle (since they should know that there will be consumption while they have the car) and, when you do, you should get a receipt/written statement you’ve provided it with whatever parts.

Any Tesla location (or service outsourced on their behalf) will have charging available so you don’t need to provide anything. Of course, they won’t charge it unless necessary (falling below 20% SOC or a fundamental part of the service) so plan your pickup experience accordingly.

All that said, it was your boss so, apparently she’s learned her lesson and is eating the cost while you do the leg work.