Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was missing from your Model 3? (if anything...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
I thought a thread on this would be useful for new owners or those soon to take delivery - a list of things to look out for.

My Model 3 had no aero hubcaps on it when it was lined up for delivery (and was the only one like that!), so that was very obvious and easily fixed before I accepted delivery. I also asked about the brake fluid and 12V battery (due to earlier reports of issues) and was reassured both were checked.

On Thursday, when I installed brighter lights in the boot, I discovered this:

5497A359-ADAB-4F2B-8485-52948C3C77BE.jpeg

The circular plastic push-rivets used to anchor the boot lining to the upper shell were missing on both sides! Not a big issue by any means, but something one would not normally look for. I contacted Service on Friday and they will order the parts for me to pick up in the new year.

Anything else people have discovered as missing since taking delivery? There might be random stuff missing that we can all check, and the sooner we raise it with Tesla the better.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Great idea for a thread Vostok. Trouble is, it’s hard to know what’s meant to be there! Hopefully we’ll all learn something.
For example, a standout in my car is the paint in the upper surface of the boot. It looks like it’s only a superficial spray. And anyway, I would have thought it would be lined.

My car also doesn’t have passenger grab handles. (May say something about my driving! :p)

Funny, this reminds me of a book from the early 60's that talked about the poor quality of US autos. The assembly line workers were so poorly motivated while being pressured for maximum output that they would sometimes not completely assemble cars. Dealers would find parts in the back seat including engine pistons! Obviously quality control was rather lacking. Makes you wonder what is going on in Fremont.

Based on expectation when ordering:
  • Missing phone charge cables (no longer included)
  • Homelink (apparently will be honoured and retro-fitted)
  • Premium connectivity for life (legal challenge pending :p)
  • Spare wheel (I had no idea this is not an expected thing for all cars, I now know otherwise) :rolleyes:
M3P+ ordered 1 June 2019, delivered 22 Sept 2019

• Spare wheel (I had no idea this is not an expected thing for all cars, I now know otherwise) :rolleyes:

Was I supposed to get homekit? I took delivery in November

Was I supposed to get homekit? I took delivery in November
It depends on what was on offer when you placed the order. When the M3 order page opened in Australia on May 31 it showed Homelink link as being included. After an update to the site this was no longer the case; but under Australian Consumer law those that ordered when it was listed were entitled to receive it.

Reactions: m4rtin

Premium connectivity for the life of the car or current owner?
You wouldn’t want to upset a self driving car too much with a legal challenge

I have watched far too many episodes of black mirror!

Funny, this reminds me of a book from the early 60's that talked about the poor quality of US autos. The assembly line workers were so poorly motivated while being pressured for maximum output that they would sometimes not completely assemble cars. Dealers would find parts in the back seat including engine pistons! Obviously quality control was rather lacking. Makes you wonder what is going on in Fremont.

Tesla allows for there service centres to Q&A but they just get the cars out the door. I would be so embarrassed sending out a product that had not been checked first.
My 3 had the following:-
* paint imperfections
* thin paint
* paint swirls
The rest of my 3 was 100% and I'm very fussy.
Tesla did fix as soon as notified with no debate.
I've been told by my paint film installer and Tesla's panel shop this is normal for all types of very expensive sports cars as well.

Last edited:
Faults I found at delivery: Paintwork was scuffed/rubbed immediately below towing eyelet on front bumper. Front diffuser approx 60cm behind towing eyelet (between front wheels) had a large 15cm by 5cm gouge out of it. I expect these were both caused by tie downs on road transport from SYD to MEL. Diffuser is getting replaced in couple of weeks. So it is worth sticking your head down at ground level and take a glance back underneath from the front bumper.

Also check along the lower skirts between the doors. This is the lowest part of the car you can see from side on. There is a cosmetic black plastic trim that runs full length immediately beneath the paint line. Mine was adrift in one side in three places. Again you have to really get down on your hands and knees to see it. Fix took Telsa 30 seconds. Simply tap the clips back in to place by hand.