Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was or will be your payment method at delivery?

What was or will be your payment method at delivery?

• Cash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Credit card

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to the poll, I wanted to mention that I bank with Tangerine so it takes 2-3 business days for them to courier a bank draft. My inside sales advisor's email stated that my balance owing would be made available 24 hours prior to delivery which is too late for me. So, I asked about options and was pleasantly surprised to hear this:

"We won’t use the actual check, just the routing information at the bottom to perform an ACH transfer. This is actually the recommended way as you can pay for the entire car and do not need to know the full exact balance in advance."

So, I'm basically just going to bring a void personal cheque with me to my delivery appointment.

Hopefully, this can help others out that are in the same situation. Or, maybe he's totally wrong and I'll be screwed at delivery. So, curious if others have used this method?

In addition to the poll, I wanted to mention that I bank with Tangerine so it takes 2-3 business days for them to courier a bank draft. My inside sales advisor's email stated that my balance owing would be made available 24 hours prior to delivery which is too late for me. So, I asked about options and was pleasantly surprised to hear this:

"We won’t use the actual check, just the routing information at the bottom to perform an ACH transfer. This is actually the recommended way as you can pay for the entire car and do not need to know the full exact balance in advance."

So, I'm basically just going to bring a void personal cheque with me to my delivery appointment.

Hopefully, this can help others out that are in the same situation. Or, maybe he's totally wrong and I'll be screwed at delivery. So, curious if others have used this method?

Be careful about ACH. That is a US specific EFT system. So you might want to confirm it with him.

Reactions: 03DSG
Be careful about ACH. That is a US specific EFT system. So you might want to confirm it with him.

Yes, I was sceptical so I replied with:

"That would be my preference too since I wouldn’t have to request a bank draft a few days before the 7th. So, just to confirm, I simply bring a blank cheque to my appointment and Tesla will pull the entire amount from my account at that time?"

and then my SA replied with:

"This is correct."

He obviously knows I'm in Canada but I'm still not convinced so that's why I decided to post this poll. Worst case I guess I could argue based on my email thread.

My SA also said I am able to bring a "cheque" and they use the account and routing information. I've never encountered any EFT limits even with large amounts but you probably want to confirm with your bank.

Another way I've seen this done (not Tesla, other direct bank payments) is the business just sets this up as a PAD (pre-authorized debit) agreement. Again, no limits that I've seen and all they need is the bank account and transit info along with some sort of signed agreement.

• Informative
Reactions: Rlhm3
I called Tangerine and they confirmed that they would allow these kinds of EFT transactions (simply based on void personal cheque routing details) to go through so there isn't a dollar limit. They did put a note on my file though just in case the transaction gets flagged as suspicious.

My delivery is on June 7th so I will post letting everyone know how it works out. In the meantime, if anyone else tries it then please share. Thank you!

I'm in the US and longer story short...
Car was found on lot, email to Tesla at 10AM. Got call at 12PM that appointment was available tomorrow at 12PM.
She indicated that she would get with finance and get my account enable for payment after she got off phone with me.
I was financing, but still had $15kUSD to pay.
Got home around 4, had to move money between accounts to checking in banks online system.
Went to Tesla site, it allowed me to enter bank routing number and already had the amount needed.
Got email from Tesla that transaction was complete in just a few minutes.
My account showed PAID.
We had to get insurance binder, completed.
Arrive at Service Center at noon and picked up car.

All done in less than 24 hours on Friday and Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, things can work right.

• Informative
Reactions: Rlhm3
I'm in the US and longer story short...
Car was found on lot, email to Tesla at 10AM. Got call at 12PM that appointment was available tomorrow at 12PM.
She indicated that she would get with finance and get my account enable for payment after she got off phone with me.
I was financing, but still had $15kUSD to pay.
Got home around 4, had to move money between accounts to checking in banks online system.
Went to Tesla site, it allowed me to enter bank routing number and already had the amount needed.
Got email from Tesla that transaction was complete in just a few minutes.
My account showed PAID.
We had to get insurance binder, completed.
Arrive at Service Center at noon and picked up car.

All done in less than 24 hours on Friday and Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, things can work right.

Thank you for sharing! I hope it works the same for us here in Canada even if they have to do it manually at delivery using the void cheque. It would be even better if we could just enter the banking details in our profiles on tesla.com.

So, long story short the EFT method does not work in Canada. You must bring a bank draft to pay for your Model 3 at the International Centre in Toronto.

It turns out that the some sales advisors in places like California and Las Vegas were assuming this would work in Canada but it doesn't. In my case, they were able to figure something out in the end but it had to be escalated and I spent 5 hours there instead of just an hour.