TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What Was THAT All About?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by mt2, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mt2

mt2 Member

It seems Tesla Motors Club was up and down all day. Occasional database errors, but usually just no response.

Perhaps too much load related to Martin leaving Tesla and AutoBlog posting a link?

(I've got some great conspiracy theories, but it would be inappropriate to share them).

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I noticed and thought the same things, but know nothing more than you.

3. Kardax

Kardax Member

Apparently the "most users ever online" was today, 112 people. That seems a little bit low to take down a site, but then again this forum software might not have been designed for that kind of load...

-Ryan

4. mt2

mt2 Member

Oh believe me, the forum and database software can handle far greater. But I suspect the database server was probably not sized for that kind of load. Plus, the number on-line is the number of registered users. How many curiosity seekers followed the link in AutoblogGreen just to browse? And if the forum and database are running on the same server, that could cause real performance issues.

Most registered users was today? That seems to support the theory that load crashed the site. Martin should be flattered.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

6. danny

danny Administrator

We are investigating what exactly happened.
    As of now we do not believe that the server overloaded.
    It should be able to handle more than this.

It might have something to do with some hackers.
    Hopefully I'll know soon exactly what happend.

7. DDB

DDB Member

If it was hackers I'd be shocked. What is so fascinating about this site? Why not hit teslamotors.com if so compelled to interrupt the fun? Sheeze.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Keep in mind that this site was taken down twice before.
    Both times seemed to coincide (possibly coincidentally) with news events coming out of Tesla.
    At least this time it was just sluggish behavior, not a "defacement".

9. mt2

mt2 Member

See, I didn't want to go there. But it seems about the time we start bad mouthing Tesla's leadership, the site gets crunched. I am firmly convinced it is a coincidence brought on by the interest in Tesla's "shake up". But, boy, it makes for good conspiracy theory, doesn't it?

10. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

This is only a guess, but I'd say a bad router somewhere could easily explain the outage. It's not that uncommon, and it's sometimes hard to diagnose because it's not happening on the server end, it's not happening on the client end, it's happening somewhere along the way in-between.

11. mt2

mt2 Member

I'd agree with you Tony, except that I received database errors twice. I should have copied the error code. From what I saw, all roads lead to a MySQL issue.

12. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

ROFL

I know the membership has leapt up recently, but I can't see that (up until the weekend) roughly 40 guys and gals batting ideas around poses much of a corporate threat to a gen-u-whine thrillionaire.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

No, but it only takes one person who has some script kiddy skills, and doesn't like something that was written to make a mess of things.

Or maybe someone mis-configured a DNS record by mistake somewhere.

14. mt2

mt2 Member

Nope. I've been watching it and the site begins by taking database errors. No error code, just standard vBulletin text about try again later and the administrators have been notified. Then after about 30 seconds of errors, the site stops responding for about five minutes. My hunch is we've got a corrupted table.

There are some database maintenance routines on the bottom of the vBulletin Admin Console nav bar. You might start with those. If you've got access to the database server, the MySQL Administrator also has some table maintenance routines when you select the vBulletin catalog.

Just a hunch, but it's a place to start.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

You may be right, mt2... I just got the database error when trying to post, and then the site was very sluggish for a while afterwards.

16. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I'm still having problems with it today, not as bad as yesterday, but sometimes I can't get on the site at all, sometimes it's just slow.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

19. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Site seems to be working fine right now (6:15 AM UK time)

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Site was OK from 12/6 through today (12/11) but then seemed to be offline for most of the morning.