Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was the point of “software update preferences” change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have not seen this do anything different for last couple of versions (yes I have enabled it)
I have been watching 16.3.x roll out for over a week now with hundreds of people updating according to TeslaFi.
Still have not seen anything different than the way it’s always been.

I am not in some major hurry to get 16.3.x I actually like the way everything is working now.
Just not sure I understand how that setting to “receive updates when available” is any different

So I have not seen this do anything different for last couple of versions (yes I have enabled it)
I have been watching 16.3.x roll out for over a week now with hundreds of people updating according to TeslaFi.
Still have not seen anything different than the way it’s always been.

I am not in some major hurry to get 16.3.x I actually like the way everything is working now.
Just not sure I understand how that setting to “receive updates when available” is any different

If there is an update for your vehicle configuration and geographic region, then the setting will allow you to get it quicker then would have originally got it.

So just because hundreds are getting an update, if it’s not for your vehicle configuration and region then you won’t get it regardless if you have the setting in Advance or not.

Tap on the Information button for more details.

...hurry...

I think the option allows getting it as soon as possible or skipping that priority and wait for others to get the update first.

The advantage for not waiting is you can be a first youtuber showing the very latest feature.

The advantage for waiting is you can see how well the version is by watching others first. Such as the case for those who like the freedom of user interface in Model S / X from version 8.1 and have not been impressed with the new more restricted interface in version 9.0.

This option might be because of many complaints from Model S / X owners who felt they blindly upgrading to a more restricted interface version 9.0 without a chance of being informed of such restriction.

If there is an update for your vehicle configuration and geographic region, then the setting will allow you to get it quicker then would have originally got it.

So just because hundreds are getting an update, if it’s not for your vehicle configuration and region then you won’t get it regardless if you have the setting in Advance or not.

Tap on the Information button for more details.
I probably didn’t phrase the post very well. I DO understand what it’s for and how it can help etc. and of course I’m quite in tune with a TeslaFi and seeing what cars are being updated.
I guess I was getting at...it doesn’t seem to be working as advertised at least in my case.
I’m watching LOTS of cars being updated and it appears to me to be just like it always is. I watch a couple weeks go by and after about 1000 or so updates in TeslaFi I will see it show up at some point.
Doesn’t seem any different to me so far.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
I probably didn’t phrase the post very well. I DO understand what it’s for and how it can help etc. and of course I’m quite in tune with a TeslaFi and seeing what cars are being updated.
I guess I was getting at...it doesn’t seem to be working as advertised at least in my case.
I’m watching LOTS of cars being updated and it appears to me to be just like it always is. I watch a couple weeks go by and after about 1000 or so updates in TeslaFi I will see it show up at some point.
Doesn’t seem any different to me so far.

Actually it is working as advertised. If you don't see it downloading, and then getting a prompt to install it, that means your vehicle doesn't meet the configuration of the latest software update. I know this because the current 16.3.2 only downloaded to my wife's Model X, while my P100D only has 16.2. I inquired about this with my service center, and went they went into their Tesla Garage software, it shows that both vehicles are current, meaning that 16.3.2 is only for specific configuration of vehicles.

I asked what defines a configuration, they say that it's more than just option code, but also part number and revision.

This most likely means that 16.3.2 is only valid for certain vehicle configuration which my Model S P100D with AP 2.5 does not quality for, while my wife's Model X AP2.0 does.

The hard part in all this, is that we never really know what is a fleet wide GA release, vs a release for a certain configuration of vehicle.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Many S/X owners could be classified as "early adopters" who want to get the latest features as soon as they are available, even if there are obvious bugs or design flaws. At times, it feels like receiving an update is like being an unofficial beta tester, especially after major releases are distributed, because the first updates after a major release typically contain bugs that are fixed in later updates.

It's likely that many of the recent owners purchasing Model 3 are more interested in having stable software than in using the "latest and greatest".

This new setting should help Tesla separate those owners who are willing to accept some bugs from those owners who don't want to deal with that.