Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was the smaller semi???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It clearly had a lower roof, along with a lower trailer.

But I couldn't tell if it was otherwise the same size, or really smaller. It looked a little smaller, but I suspect it was just 2-D perspective (I was not there in person) given that it was parked farther away and a darker color.

I too am interested if there were significant differences...

Reactions: JHWJR
It clearly had a lower roof, along with a lower trailer.

But I couldn't tell if it was otherwise the same size, or really smaller. It looked a little smaller, but I suspect it was just 2-D perspective (I was not there in person) given that it was parked farther away and a darker color.

I too am interested if there were significant differences...

I don't think it so much had a lower roof, as much as it was just lacking that hood section(see the picture from electrek from a while ago and it's clear how that works). I suspect the two vehicles are the 500 mile range and 300 mile range versions

I am pretty sure the roof of the darker one is lower:

tesla-semi_26.jpg

In this picture it does otherwise look the same size, however.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I thought I read that current version doesn't have a sleeper area.

If I'm not mistaken I believe it's the same cab on both the white and matte black/gray semis. Seem to recall that at one point in time Telsa said there was a higher profile roof hood for larger containers so that either size trailer with the cab would be aerodynamic.

Reactions: Brando
It's really an optical illusion -- the "smaller" semi really looked like a "mini" version of the white, larger one. But the tractor parts of both are the same size.. just one with a bigger hood and taller trailer. Until I looked really close, I thought they were two different products (sizes), and was wondering why Elon didn't talk about the "small semi" right behind him. Now it all makes sense.

Wing mirrors on the smaller one, cameras on the bigger one, will be interesting to see how that plays out (presumably have to shift eye-focus looking at screen instead of a mirror - but I don't know if that's a real-life problem, or not, I don't seem to have difficulty switching focus to look at the dashboard ... but I've read people saying that the rear view mirror on Bolt, which has either-or Mirror / Screen, takes some getting used to (i.e. focus-change) in Screen mode, but I haven't seen one to experience it ... yet :) )

Tesla showed one truck.

The gray truck not only has a lower aero roof extension, but is also missing the wings that fill in the gap between tractor and trailer.

The truck is certainly small enough that Tesla could make a lower power two motor "Class 7" version for Europe. They can also extend the rail and make a non-articulated box truck. Aft of the battery pack this truck, like most trucks, is highly modifiable. The fact that the cab is relatively small and low yet fills the class 8 role in the U.S. is undoubtedly a strategic choice.

They won't sell to the owner/operator market in the U.S. with this truck, and they probably don't care.

So the smaller semi is just the semi without the "hood." Got it. I guess that works for trailers that are shorter, like the ones I see in the city. If only it could use a Supercharger (instead of a Megacharger), one could see using it to haul a sweet modified camping trailer. And by one, I mean me.

You will have to get your Class A California Driver License, Ohmman, before you will be able to take your new baby on the road. :(