Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was the smaller semi???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the smaller Semi with a smaller trailer is designed for the European market where commercial trucks are smaller than in the US, but it could be used in the US for smaller loads.

Tesla showed one truck.

The truck is certainly small enough that Tesla could make a lower power two motor "Class 7" version for Europe.

If I'm not mistaken, European trucks are about the same height, but can be longer and way heavier than US trucks. So I don't think the gray one is designated for the European market. They are probably just two test beds to evaluate different versions and options.

So the smaller semi is just the semi without the "hood." Got it. I guess that works for trailers that are shorter, like the ones I see in the city. If only it could use a Supercharger (instead of a Megacharger), one could see using it to haul a sweet modified camping trailer. And by one, I mean me.

Superchargers will probably work also. When Elon was talking about charging at the depot and destination there was an image of trucks lined up next to superchargers.

Although with a guaranteed $0.07/kWh at the Megacharger, less than supercharger pricing, I would use them instead. :)

GSP

I talked to a Tesla employee who said the smaller Semi tractor weighs less and has a smaller battery pack, and can be driven in the U.S. without a commercial driver's license. Seems like it would make the perfect platform for a custom RV. I submitted a request for more info, but no one has called me back yet. If all this turns out to be true, and if there is an approved way to get battery power for appliances or an inverter, I plan to put down a deposit and start looking for a custom RV shop that can make it happen.

I don't think the number of axels matters. If you are driving tractor only and it weighs 26k or less, I think you are good to go:

Class A CDL
A Class A commercial driver's license is required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, to include a towed vehicle that is HEAVIER than 10,000 lbs.

While your towing allowances will depend on which endorsements you obtain, a few of the vehicles you MAY be able to drive with a Class A CDL (with proper endorsements) include:

• Tractor-trailers.
  • Truck and trailer combinations.
    • Double and triple trailers.
  • Tractor-trailer buses.
  • Tanker vehicles.
  • Livestock carriers.
  • Flatbeds.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I was behind a Sprinter yesterday and it occurred to me that Tesla might find a pretty deep market for this "smaller truck" segment. In my area, they're used quite commonly for deliveries and for passenger touring (wine country). Plus, to add on to the other comments here about camping, they're often retrofitted as motor coaches (by Airstream and others). Obviously not their current focus, but it'd be neat to see them get into that category eventually.

Reactions: EinSV
I was behind a Sprinter yesterday and it occurred to me that
Tesla might find a pretty deep market for this "smaller truck" segment.

In my area, they're used quite commonly for deliveries and for passenger touring (wine country).
Plus, to add on to the other comments here about camping,
they're often retrofitted as motor coaches (by Airstream and others).
Obviously not their current focus, but it'd be neat to see them get into that category eventually.

I saw quite often full size pickup-trucks, such as this RAM 35000 used with or without a fife-wheel trailer.

2017_Ram_3500_TowingTrailer.jpg

2017_Ram_3500_Limited_SideViewTowingTrailer.jpg.image.1440.jpg

2017_Ram_3500_Dually_TowingRedTractor.jpg.image.1440.jpg

Black is slimming! On a serious note, when I was standing in between them, other than the taller hood on the silver one, the proportions seemed the same. Yes, the black one had real mirrors in addition to the camera pod/fins that we presume are Tesla's dream to replace physical mirrors, in addition to housing all sorts of cameras. @ohmman I'm dreaming about one of these as a Sprinter substitute!

Black is slimming! On a serious note, when I was standing in between them, other than the taller hood on the silver one, the proportions seemed the same. Yes, the black one had real mirrors in addition to the camera pod/fins that we presume are Tesla's dream to replace physical mirrors, in addition to housing all sorts of cameras. @ohmman I'm dreaming about one of these as a Sprinter substitute!

The semi video on Tesla's Twitter feed shows the taller roof piece and side wings morphing into the smaller version. Seem identical otherwise.

Regarding the "thing on the top" herein called a "hood", that's not a hood. That's variously called a roof fairing, top fairing, or wind deflector. The hood is the thing you pull open at the front to see the engine. Or in Tesla's case, perhaps the thing you open to access the frunk.

On most class 8 truck hoods, there's a brand item (eg, a bulldog on the Mack) centered at the front of the hood. That's actually a handle. You grab it to pull open the hood, and for someone like me, it requires putting all my body weight into it. I don't think the Tesla's frunk will require that sort of commitment...

View attachment 264504

How does this work?

Does each of the height plugs will be connected to a separate Supercharger cable?

Does each plug is connected to an internal 400 Volts 100 kwh Battery?

What is the use of the oblong hole on the right? Is it a big vent for pulsed air circulation?
Possibly one pair of contacts for each one the 4 large battery modules. Other space for control and safety ground circuits.

The gray truck not only has a lower aero roof extension, but is also missing the wings that fill in the gap between tractor and trailer.

The truck is certainly small enough that Tesla could make a lower power two motor "Class 7" version for Europe.
They can also extend the rail and make a non-articulated box truck.
Aft of the battery pack this truck, like most trucks, is highly modifiable.
The fact that the cab is relatively small and low yet fills the class 8 role in the U.S. is undoubtedly a strategic choice.

Trucks with 'self-supported' trailer are very common in Europe, because they can handle curvy roads better than semi-trucks.

3124623125_2_3_JvnDiog4.jpg