Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was the valet parker done wrong at the airport?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Left the car at the official LHR valet parking and the car was according to TeslaMate driven at a reasonable speed to the Pod parking (I wondered why it was closed), since then its been parked and hasn't moved. However TeslaMate says the car is online and has lost 12% battery in 2 days. Would doing something like leaving the card key in the car have caused it. It looked to be open when I checked yesterday so I locked it but checked today and the drain continues.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Left the car at the official LHR valet parking and the car was according to TeslaMate driven at a reasonable speed to the Pod parking (I wondered why it was closed), since then its been parked and hasn't moved. However TeslaMate says the car is online and has lost 12% battery in 2 days. Would doing something like leaving the card key in the car have caused it. It looked to be open when I checked yesterday so I locked it but checked today and the drain continues.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Disable sentry mode and don’t keep checking the app as every time you do so, you wake the car up

I have disabled sentry mode just after I posted and that may have helped. As it has now been asleep about 17 mins ago. I wasn't using the Tesla app to check TeslaMate just looking at TeslaMate which is on 24/7. It must be parked in a busy area if that is what caused it.

Check your TeslaMate settings too- it could be polling the car and waking it up.
TeslaMate has been running 24/7 since I had the car and I'm just remote desktop connecting to the box the browser is always up and running on with all the mad dashboards for everything around the house. No changes to TeslaMate for a few weeks now. The drain started after they valet parked it.

It looks like it must be sentry mode and they parked it in a really busy area, it is a pity you can't view sentry mode footage remotely. Well I guess you can but the sim for the uploads might cost a lot, but after this it is tempting.

Sentry mode will eat battery, particularly if it gets triggered. It is very sensitive, so I wouldn't worry unduly about something bad having happened (especially as you can't do anything about it remotely).. I get Sentry activations from people just walking to their cars next to or even just past mine.

Sentry mode will eat battery, particularly if it gets triggered. It is very sensitive, so I wouldn't worry unduly about something bad having happened (especially as you can't do anything about it remotely).. I get Sentry activations from people just walking to their cars next to or even just past mine.
Yeah, but as it has been online for nearly 48 hours now that is a lot of footage..... anyway I'll check tomorrow. Last time we left the car valet parked like this the guys at the car park liked doing little dances in front of the car and got upset if it didn't flash at them and waved their arms around and clapped. It was a very entertaining viewing session.... maybe I should have more interesting thing to do!

Researching the raspberry pi options for capturing footage and then getting 4/5g dongle for sending the footage to the cloud for next time. No point in not wasting more money on tech to do another pointless task o_O

Mine is off by default and never switched on.
I'm pretty sure mine defaulted to on when I bought FSD (I didn't buy FSD with the car, and I don't remember ever activating Summon Standby Mode). Maybe it just mirrors Sentry mode, as I had exclude Home ticked on Sentry and it was the same for Summon Standby. It took me a while to figure out that Summon Standby Mode was the reason why my M3 wouldn't sleep when away from home...

Yeah, but as it has been online for nearly 48 hours now that is a lot of footage..... anyway I'll check tomorrow. Last time we left the car valet parked like this the guys at the car park liked doing little dances in front of the car and got upset if it didn't flash at them and waved their arms around and clapped. It was a very entertaining viewing session.... maybe I should have more interesting thing to do!
while the car is awake it uses about 200wh per hour. Sentry will keep it awake so even if not being triggered it would use 5kw in a 24hour period. It is only suitable for short term use. You cannot use it when going on holiday if its more than a long weekend.

Reactions: Durzel
while the car is awake it uses about 200wh per hour. Sentry will keep it awake so even if not being triggered it would use 5kw in a 24hour period. It is only suitable for short term use. You cannot use it when going on holiday if its more than a long weekend.
I thought didn't seem to drain that much last holiday but that was obviously my poor memory as I've just checked and it was draining the same speed last time. Although in typical fashion got up this morning to see a message saying the alarm was triggered at 3am, so hopefully that wasn't anything serious with sentry mode being off.

I was nervous about car drop off when I went on a staycation cruise in Southampton, was ready to tell them about how to drive the car etc as I innocently thought they may not have driven Teslas much - dumb a$$ me, there were about 6 or 7 Teslas in the covid testing drive through lanes that I saw for that day!

It did help when the guy from the parking company asked if I had PIN to drive enabled or not as apparently they had to get someone to track a person down who had already boarded the ship as they couldn't move the car due to PIN to drive.

Teslas are fairly common now and companies who park cars do have fairly frequent contact with them to know how to operate the car, yes if you're worried that the car will be joyridden (could be any car) then enable valet mode.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
I was nervous about car drop off when I went on a staycation cruise in Southampton, was ready to tell them about how to drive the car etc as I innocently thought they may not have driven Teslas much - dumb a$$ me, there were about 6 or 7 Teslas in the covid testing drive through lanes that I saw for that day!

It did help when the guy from the parking company asked if I had PIN to drive enabled or not as apparently they had to get someone to track a person down who had already boarded the ship as they couldn't move the car due to PIN to drive.

Teslas are fairly common now and companies who park cars do have fairly frequent contact with them to know how to operate the car, yes if you're worried that the car will be joyridden (could be any car) then enable valet mode.
I did the Southampton Virgin cruise and I made sure I removed the pin. One thing I meant to get after that and forgot is to get a king ring card holder as when they returned the card to me it had an elastic band with a piece of paper with the car details, they aren't geared up for card keys. When I got back one of the guys came over and said he was a Tesla home delivery driver and had been showing everyone how to drive the Teslas.

Isn't this what valet mode is for? or am I missing something?
Yeah, I keep forgetting to try it out. Somewhere I saw something about the speed being limited and different sites mention 20, 30 70mph so wasn't sure what mine was set to. So I must test that out so I can use it, knowing what it is set to. If it is a hotel or something local then 20-30mph is more that enough but airports etc quite often park off site and if it was 20/30mph it would be dangerous if they need to use a motorway or dual carriage way. Have you tried valet out yet?

I did the Southampton Virgin cruise and I made sure I removed the pin. One thing I meant to get after that and forgot is to get a king ring card holder as when they returned the card to me it had an elastic band with a piece of paper with the car details, they aren't geared up for card keys. When I got back one of the guys came over and said he was a Tesla home delivery driver and had been showing everyone how to drive the Teslas.
I bought one of these for those rare occasions!