Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was your age, annual income, and what battery pack are you getting?

What is your age, annual income in 2011, and what battery pack are you getting?

• Age <45, <$300k, 40 or 60 kWh battery

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Age <45, <$300k, 85 kWh battery

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Age <45, >$300k, 40 or 60 kWh battery

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Age < 45, >$300k, 85 kWh battery

Votes: 20 17.1%
  • Age >45, <$300k, 40 or 60 kWh battery

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Age >45, <$300k, 85 kWh battery

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Age >45, >$300k, 40 or 60 kWh battery

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Age >45, >$300k, 85 kWh battery

Votes: 15 12.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those next S reservations are going to come from those who are waiting to see and drive the car and don't necessarily have 5k to just part with without anything in return. Then, others will come from seeing the S in the wild and saying "what's that!?" and becoming interested. And lastly, from those reading all the publicized reviews that will begin popping up on TV, in magazines, etc.

You can even take this a step further and state that this new exposure and newly generated S reservations will also spur discovery and subsequent reservations of the X. :) All good for Tesla!!

One problem/paradox that concerns me is the recent Bloomberg article. In this article, it was mentioned that after all the initial 10k reservation holders have made their purchase, where will the next 10k buyers come from? In other words, it seems logical that a vast majority of buyers who want the vehicle have already made their reservations leaving a big question about where the next buyers will come from.

I'm amazed about how myopic and unimaginative the business press can be. Tesla is a whole new retail model, unlike anything that came before. Paying a deposit to reserve a car is a whole different selling strategy than the traditional automotive showroom gambit. Those of us who've made a reservation and ultimately buy the S are Tesla's principal marketing force, and if the car lives up to expectations, which I'm sure it will, we'll be a sales forces of unprecedented power. It's a viral strategy. Once the car is in our hands and others see and experience it there will be plenty of buyers to meet Tesla's production and sales goals. It's also damned clear that ICE cars will soon become dinosaurs. All one has to do is pay attention to the number of ICE manufacturers who have electric cars/hybirds in production or under development.

I'm also not concerned about the cost of the car relative to Tesla's sales and production goals. Sure, the average Joe can't afford this car. But that's not Tesla's market. The car is aimed at a highly educated, well-informed, and affluent market. In that market, the Tesla will go viral quickly, especially when our Tesla's out-perform and out-handle most other expensive brands. I look forward to leaving them in the dust:) Why do Audi, Jaguar, BMW, and all of the high-end manufacturers have EV's under development? Because they see what's coming. It's not a question of if, only when.

I'm amazed about how myopic and unimaginative the business press can be. Tesla is a whole new retail model, unlike anything that came before. Paying a deposit to reserve a car is a whole different selling strategy than the traditional automotive showroom gambit. Those of us who've made a reservation and ultimately buy the S are Tesla's principal marketing force, and if the car lives up to expectations, which I'm sure it will, we'll be a sales forces of unprecedented power. It's a viral strategy. Once the car is in our hands and others see and experience it there will be plenty of buyers to meet Tesla's production and sales goals. It's also damned clear that ICE cars will soon become dinosaurs. All one has to do is pay attention to the number of ICE manufacturers who have electric cars/hybirds in production or under development.

I'm also not concerned about the cost of the car relative to Tesla's sales and production goals. Sure, the average Joe can't afford this car. But that's not Tesla's market. The car is aimed at a highly educated, well-informed, and affluent market. In that market, the Tesla will go viral quickly, especially when our Tesla's out-perform and out-handle most other expensive brands. I look forward to leaving them in the dust:) Why do Audi, Jaguar, BMW, and all of the high-end manufacturers have EV's under development? Because they see what's coming. It's not a question of if, only when.

Amen.

2) However, more importantly, the above polls you mention do not put all the data together, thus it is impossible to determine the relationships b/t income, age, and battery size (i.e. how much you're spending) which gives important detail related to demand for Model S and whether or not the buyer is an "aspirational buyer," etc.

Sorry if I seem negative but your poll doesn't achieve that either because it's lumped into brackets that are too big (not your fault but a restriction of the forum to 10 choices).

One problem/paradox that concerns me is the recent Bloomberg article. In this article, it was mentioned that after all the initial 10k reservation holders have made their purchase, where will the next 10k buyers come from? In other words, it seems logical that a vast majority of buyers who want the vehicle have already made their reservations leaving a big question about where the next buyers will come from.

If you're concerned about the company future there's a whole bunch of interesting stuff you can sort through here: TSLA-Investor-Discussions

J
Isn't that to be expected?

Yes, of course. But by looking at the data when they are categorically defined in groups (albeit large groups), rather than in an individual poll, all kinds trends and more importantly the extent or quantification of the trends can be better assessed (in my opinion).

I want to know "by how much?" or "what is the extent of the trend? Low, medium, high, very high etc". Not just yes or no.

I'm going to be 27 when I get my Tesla. Not going for anything special, most likely 60kWh. I make decent enough money to save up for a year then finance so its only a 40k financing. I consider myself fortunate to be in a good industry and in America even in these tough times.

Not sure where I was going with this. It's interesting to see that there are quite a few under 45 that aren't super wealthy getting the 40 and 60. Tells a bit of a different story if you ask me, that even though this car is expensive to the common person, people such as myself who have decent paying jobs are willing to save for lengths at a time to afford a car such as this. I guess I am trying to say it says something about the demand/need for this type of vehicle.