Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was your fueling routine pre-EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
Before you bought your first EV, which if you're like me would be the Tesla you now own, what was your refueling routine?

I mostly drove a variety of Hondas and the last two vehicles I owned were a Honda S2000 and a Jeep Wrangler. Through my ~25 years of petrol car operation I almost exclusively would drive the car until the fuel light came on and then went to a nearby semi-familiar gas station and paid with my credit card to fill the tank. Usually some kind of name-brand like Shell or Chevron. Others if I was on a road trip.

I can't think of a time I didn't fill the tank. And I can't think of many times I filled up early. Likely only on road trips and filled up during some other stop (food or toilet break).

Many times I can recall noting a very low tank leaving the house in the morning and thinking "Ah, I'll just get gas on my way home from work tonight". And a few times even realizing the fuel light hadn't come on as I neared the neighborhood so I just went home and waited until the next day to deal with that fueling frustration.

When I was commuting I remember occasionally making the decision to fill up in the town I lived in rather than the town I worked in. That sometimes caused me to make bad decisions about getting on the road home with a very low tank and hoping I made it to the exit.

Obviously now it's very different. If the "tank" is less than 1/2 full I plug in overnight and the next day it's over 3/4 full. I don't have a favorite local filling location because I've never needed anything I couldn't get from my own house.

How has that part of vehicle operation changed for you?

I used to drive a 2001 Saturn SL2 and had a similar fueling routine as OP. Fill up completely only when tank was really low. I never really paid attention to or cared about gas prices, so I would stop at any gas station that was handy.

Now with my Tesla Model 3 (4.5 years and 90,000 miles) I just plug in when I get home and fill up to 85% or 90% every day. It's like plugging in my phone to charge every night, a routine. If I'm travelling long distance then I just stop at a Supercharger and charge while I use the bathroom and/or grab a snack or meal.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I live in a Speedway gas station market and they monkey with prices all of the time. So in a normal year (before covid, before Russia invading Ukraine, etc) I would just wait for them to tick their prices down and everyone would follow then I would gas up. You could just about predict when they hit their bottom and then they would jack the prices up again.

Reactions: LoudMusic