Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was your maximum charge rate at a supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are impressive numbers on charging. Last I remember Tesla said the M3 would charge to 170 miles in 30 minutes. That was from their original press kit.

Tesla Model 3 Specs: 220-310 Miles Range, 0-60 MPH in 5.1 Seconds - More Details

I just went to Tesla.com/charging and I don't see the spec on charging anywhere.

Do any of you guys know if/where Tesla is owning up to the numbers being posted in this thread in their formal specs??....maybe I've missed it.

Thx,
George Bower
Insideevs

These are impressive numbers on charging. Last I remember Tesla said the M3 would charge to 170 miles in 30 minutes. That was from their original press kit.

Tesla Model 3 Specs: 220-310 Miles Range, 0-60 MPH in 5.1 Seconds - More Details

I just went to Tesla.com/charging and I don't see the spec on charging anywhere.

Do any of you guys know if/where Tesla is owning up to the numbers being posted in this thread in their formal specs??....maybe I've missed it.

Thx,
George Bower
Insideevs

They are only quoting 170 range miles added in 30 minutes but it does depend on S.O.C. (state of charge).
The lower it is when you start then the faster you can add range as after about 55% S.O.C. it does taper off rapidly from max charge rate, I added 186 range miles in 31 minutes going from 22% to 81%, I think someone who started with a lower S.O.C. added 190 range miles in 30 minutes, I'm guessing if you started below 5% (not advisable to run that low often) then you could possibly add 200 range miles in 30 minutes under ideal conditions.

Reactions: Zoomit
I'm guessing if you started below 5% (not advisable to run that low often) then you could possibly add 200 range miles in 30 minutes under ideal conditions.

Yes I'm getting 205 miles in 30 minutes calculated from empty. That's a whole lot better than 170 that Tesla quoted in their press release.

No one answered as to whether or not Tesla has released a formal charging time spec. I can't find it on Tesla.com

There's one other thing going on here that no one has mentioned. Tesla is now holding around 1.5 C charging rate all the way to 50% charge. That's a big jump over the P100D which only held a little over 1C to 50%.

Jason Hughes specs on the P100D modules also only quote 1C for a max continuous charging rate.

So I think we have 2 things going on here. One is that Tesla has improved the chemistry/electrode design in the new 2170's. The other being that the new Model3 modules have better cooling. Remember we are now gluing the cells directly to the cooling tube. Also, The cooling ribbon spans a longer length of the cell.

My engineering partner and I are modeling the heat transfer rates for the new modules. He is a licensed HVAC engineer....but it's pretty obvious even before his numbers are in that the new model 3 modules cool better than the old P100D pack.

Reactions: ohmman
So I think we have 2 things going on here. One is that Tesla has improved the chemistry/electrode design in the new 2170's. The other being that the new Model3 modules have better cooling. Remember we are now gluing the cells directly to the cooling tube. Also, The cooling ribbon spans a longer length of the cell.
One wonders what this means for the future of the S and X packs. And by one, I mean myself.

There's one other thing going on here that no one has mentioned. Tesla is now holding around 1.5 C charging rate all the way to 50% charge. That's a big jump over the P100D which only held a little over 1C to 50%.

Jason Hughes specs on the P100D modules also only quote 1C for a max continuous charging rate.

Have you seen a formal charging spec for model 3 anywhere? I can't find one other than the press release that quoted 170 miles in 30 minutes (see response number 41)
George,

I can't talk to Jason Hughes's specs on the modules, but the S/X100 pack charges at up to 1.16C [119/102.4] on a Gen2 Supercharger. They peak at 119kW into a 102.4kWh battery. What we don't know is whether Tesla will allow greater than 119kW, 1.16C, from a Gen3 Supercharger.

There are some interesting coincidences with Model 3 charging rate that I haven't seen anybody talk about yet. According to Tesla's EPA filing on Model 3 LR, it's capable of DC fast charging at 525A. That means it could peak around 180kW, assuming the Gen3 Superchargers can output that much power (which I think is a reasonable assumption).

What's interesting with that number is that it's 50% greater than the 120kW capability of today's Gen2 Superchargers. But Model 3 LR has 48% more battery capacity than Model 3 SR. If we scale down the 3 LR peak amperage of 525A to the 3 SR battery, it's about 354A. That's about the same maximum amperage for a Gen2 Supercharger, which is about 360A. So Tesla appears to have sized Model 3 SR DC fast charge capability to match the amperage output from the Gen2 Supercharger.

If this is true, Model 3 SR will also charge very near 120kW, at least for the lower portion of it's charge cycle. It seems obvious in hindsight that Tesla would optimize Model 3 SR charging to the current Supercharging network.

To help answer your question about charging spec, I haven't heard of Tesla stating anything other than the 170mi in 30 min in the press release.

The only thing related, that I know of, came from Elon during the 2018 Annual Shareholder Meeting when asked about future Supercharger capability (53:20). He said that the key figure of merit is the charging ratio of drive time to charge time. He said it should be at least 6:1 if not 8:1 or 10:1.
- That ratio for Model 3 LR on a Gen2 Supercharger is 7:1 when at 119kw and decreasing to 3:1 at 80%.
- That ratio for Model 3 LR on a Gen3 Supercharger could be 11:1 if it can charge at 180kW and again decreasing to 3:1 at 80%.
- That ratio for Model 3 SR on either a Gen2 or Gen3 Supercharger is likely 7:1 at peak rate and also decreasing to 3:1 at 80%.

So if you average that ratio over a notional Supercharger cycle from say 15 to 70%, the Model 3 LR ratio is ~8:1 on a Gen3 Supercharger and Model 3 LR and SR both have a ratio of ~6:1 on a Gen2 Supercharger. (Again speculating on 3 SR charging speeds and Gen3 capability.)

These numbers assume an average power output of 17kW which is approximately Model 3 power consumption at 70mph.

Tesla is now holding around 1.5 C charging rate all the way to 50% charge.
I forget to summarize that both Model 3 LR and SR should be able to charge at 2.2C based on my inferences from the EPA document. That’s ~180kW/80.5 for LR and ~120kW/54.3 for SR.

That’s almost double the current S/X100 rate of 1.16C but I do expect that c-rate to be higher with Gen3 Superchargers.

I'm wondering why Fred @Electrek didn't report on this higher C rate. It definitely seems news worthy!
He did. Unfortunately he also demonstrated that he doesn’t understand how li-ion battery charging works.

He speculated that Model 3 would charge at 210kW (525A x 400V), which completely ignores the amperage taper that we see in all BEVs and other li-ion battery devices. It’s not a good look for an Electric Vehicle journalist.

The other factors include the whole "Just because we can doesn't mean we should" play. Yes the cars (Model 3 at least) are on paper capable of charging at a higher rate, but Tesla might limit that a bit for engineering reasons. I'm obviously expecting to see gains with the V3 Superchargers, but they might not put them to the limit for other reasons we don't know about involving the pack.

/edit. Then again, they might overbuild the V3 superchargers with a limit much higher then what's available today even if the current cars won't be able to take it. Then in the future if pack updates allow for faster charging, it's already deployed. Backwards compatible at slower rates but new cars can get a big boost.

490 mi/hr on a road trip last weekend. It was fluctuating between 118/119 kW. I started with 25% SOC and went up to 85-90% SOC in around 30 mins. Surprisingly much quicker than I expected even though the car estimated one hour at about 50% SOC. I had to leave the restaurant barely after ordering my food to move the car. I had planned to finish my meal originally.

Attachments

• BDD1E971-B218-4D77-B414-71B0A3627FF3.png
    BDD1E971-B218-4D77-B414-71B0A3627FF3.png
    924.2 KB · Views: 95
490 mi/hr on a road trip last weekend. It was fluctuating between 118/119 kW. I started with 25% SOC and went up to 85-90% SOC in around 30 mins. Surprisingly much quicker than I expected even though the car estimated one hour at about 50% SOC. I had to leave the restaurant barely after ordering my food to move the car. I had planned to finish my meal originally.
that's sick.. exactly which charger was that? I wonder if its a new Gen3SC.

Nope. 118-119kW is standard max for normal (non-urban) superchargers. It's just the efficiency of Model 3 means you can keep that high charge rate longer whereas Model S and X will start to taper and slow down.

The new 2170 based packs are pretty incredible.
I know the M3 can take it, but most Gen2SC' are 120KW max, and you pretty much took it all - no? That I haven't seen. I think this is the record high for m/hr charging.