Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was your range when new and what is it now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my car it had a max range of 308 miles (277 miles at 90% charge). After 1000 miles on the odometer I'm pretty consistently getting a range of 303 (212 miles range at 70% charge).

Curious what others experience has been thus far. It will be interesting to see how things trend over time and and as we get a larger set of data with so many M3's being produced.

This seems to be a big one....my Model S retained nearly 100% range over 50,000 miles...my Model 3 suddenly lost some - 214 consistently at 70% to 208 overnight one night, not consistent 208....many, many threads on similar cases...a few were actually bad batteries, others just calibration (run down to 10% and up to 100% and see what range does after that)....and others are unknown cause or even if it is real or just not showing real range....

I'm just back from service.
My 3 had been consistently fine for a month (charging to 70% every night), then overnight lost 4% (to 298 @100%). I had done the calibration thing (charge to 100%, run down to 5%, back up to 100%) with no effect. They told me that if the pack had a problem, the car constantly monitors it and would inform them automatically, and "they all are doing something like this", and it just is how it goes...I trust these service guys, been dealing with them for 5 years and they are knowledgable and conscientious, but of course, this is a new thing for everyone...

My first 100% was 309 miles during the first week, and second time was 308 miles after 5000 miles. Only charged to 100% twice so far.

I set up to charge to 80% almost every night, got 246-248 range. Daily commute is about 95 miles.

When I got it new 6 months ago a full charge was 314 miles. I charged it fully last night and got 310. I've only maybe charged it fully 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months and 6k miles. Usually I charge it to 80% and rarely go below 50%.

I also floor it most places I go, especially highway on ramps :).

Its hard to say what is really going on here - if this is true battery degradation or not. As you know, when you first get the car, unless a significant number of miles have been put on the car, its considered rated miles. According to people I've spoken to at Tesla, after enough driving, it recalculates based on your actual driving habits. Whether or not this is a factual statement, I'm not entirely sure. So just say you floor it all the time, and you're using 300WH/mile. The "range" display will adjust to show you what your real mileage is and not rated mileage. But even I'm not 100% sure that is true. Its hard to tell if there is real battery degradation going on. I was told that even if you charge to 100%, which for me now takes forever (3800 miles), you're still going to get estimated real world mileage and not the rated mileage. I don't know about that. In the API for the car, there is RATED mileage listed on output. But that may not be whats displaying on the console. This is why a lot of owners forego using the mileage calculator at all and use percentages. I, however, would still like to know if the battery is degrading, and to what extent, as that would, for me, be a MAJOR ISSUE.