Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was your wait at pickup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background: my car came a week earlier than my appointment, I couldn't make the earlier date so I got the car today as previously scheduled. The paperwork portion took maybe 10 minutes, awesome. And then, IRSi wait, wait, and wait some more. An hour and half later they tell me they needed to charge the car and the detailing took time.

OK, so they knew I was coming, they had the car for over a week, yet I still had to wait 90 minutes? There weren't that many people getting their cars, only two people in service waiting on repairs, and lots of Tesla people just seemingly milling around. Anyone else waited that long or longer for their new car?

• Disagree
Reactions: 64robots
My wait was zero minutes. I arrived a few minutes late, checked in, used their restroom and then immediately was led to my car for a 10-minute orientation, then "see ya later!" I suppose it depends on the delivery center and many other factors. My car was parked outside waiting on me. Biggest issue was front floor mats were installed upside down, I discovered a couple of days later. I thought they were really cruddy, poor fitting mats. :D

Here is my experience:

My appointment time was 4:15 on a Saturday afternoon. I arrived shortly after that, get in line at the counter, and the person said they are really backed up and behind on delivery. I was told the wait will be 3 hours.

I told them I couldn't wait with kids running around in the waiting area, so I'm going to go home, have dinner, and come back.

While I was having dinner, I got a call telling me the car is ready. I mentioned I am almost done with dinner and will go there as soon as I am finish.

When I pulled into the delivery center parking lot, I got another call again asking me if I am close. I told the lady I am in the parking lot and the actual paperwork and delivery didn't take long after that.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Took me about 1.5 hours total at the Fremont Delivery Center. About 30 minutes until the adviser got to me, the rest of the time for vehicle inspection, paperwork and orientation. Compared to the horror stories about waiting all day, missing or damaged cars, I was pleased with how smoothly my delivery went. And considering it took me two hours in rush hour traffic to get there and over an hour on the return trip, the hour and half spent on the transaction itself was a breeze.

My car was delivered to my home in Redmond, WA(I moved from Hawaii) about 30 minutes early. I think Tesla is starting to master logistics.

My last delivery attempt before this was not as good and was so bad some on here did not believe me! :)

Soooo vastly improved. And the delivery person from Tesla took their time explaining everything. Very thorough and nice.

I’m buying stock as soon as I can afford some.

Just picked mine up today, 30 mins and was a great experience. I showed up 15 mins early to examine the car, no wait. When I was done, signed the papers and then they did their walkthrough. In and out and they were patient with me while I used the checklist found on this forum. This was Chicago location on grand.

I was 30min early, as I took public transit to get there and it was faster than I expected. Waited 5min for a rep. I was there for 1.5 hours as I had to do insurance and the Tesla paper work and I wanted to do a very detailed inspection.

My rep saw some glue on the glass before I did and then set it back for some additional detailing. Took 20 minutes.

All and all it was ver efficient.

I got there about 15 minutes early and spent about 10 minutes talking to the very nice sales agents. The DA came out as soon as he finished with a previous customer. We completed paperwork, phone setups, etc. in about 30 minutes. We were there for another hour while they finished charging and the DA just hung with us and completely answered any question my wife and I could come up with. We could have left earlier with enough charge to get home but they said they would let it charge as long as I wanted. With my first trip (150 miles) I chose to stay and charge.

Excellent experience and the car was perfect!

... Anyone else waited that long or longer for their new car?
I got my car 9 days ago at Dedham, MA. I was there at 1pm and it was a zoo. 90 minutes of waiting to find out the car was actually on-site. Another 90 minutes to process, including a minor change that required re-doing insurance/RMV forms. I was out by 5 pm, or about a 4 hour process. Most of the others there took 3 hours or more. Thinking back a year to when my wife got a Subaru, it was about 2 hours to get away with a car that had been picked from the lot the day before. MA is a bit more complicated because the dealer/insurance/RMV all have to get in the act simultaneously - no temporary plates here!

• Helpful
Reactions: S5S5G6
Background: my car came a week earlier than my appointment, I couldn't make the earlier date so I got the car today as previously scheduled. The paperwork portion took maybe 10 minutes, awesome. And then, IRSi wait, wait, and wait some more. An hour and half later they tell me they needed to charge the car and the detailing took time.

OK, so they knew I was coming, they had the car for over a week, yet I still had to wait 90 minutes? There weren't that many people getting their cars, only two people in service waiting on repairs, and lots of Tesla people just seemingly milling around. Anyone else waited that long or longer for their new car?

I certainly hope that you aren't bitching about 90 minutes. They didn't have to charge the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: lk229
Just picked mine up today, 30 mins and was a great experience. I showed up 15 mins early to examine the car, no wait. When I was done, signed the papers and then they did their walkthrough. In and out and they were patient with me while I used the checklist found on this forum. This was Chicago location on grand.

Where is the checklist? And I concur, my delivery was pretty flawless.

I got my car 9 days ago at Dedham, MA. I was there at 1pm and it was a zoo. 90 minutes of waiting to find out the car was actually on-site. Another 90 minutes to process, including a minor change that required re-doing insurance/RMV forms. I was out by 5 pm, or about a 4 hour process. Most of the others there took 3 hours or more. Thinking back a year to when my wife got a Subaru, it was about 2 hours to get away with a car that had been picked from the lot the day before. MA is a bit more complicated because the dealer/insurance/RMV all have to get in the act simultaneously - no temporary plates here!
Thanks for this - I am about to head down there for 1pm and was wondering what the “current situation” is there since they moved times around, guess I know now :)

Delivery will always be a roll of the dice, depending on how busy they are, and if the guy before you wants to do a 2 hour ultra detailed inspection and going through a two page checklist.

If they observe a issue that needs taking care of, like an extra detailing, some adhesive that needs cleaning off, or a wheel with a scratch, it could take a while.

This is partially offset by the two hour buying experience that comes with buying most ICE cars from a dealership. Gotta whip out the 4 square sheet, ask you what it would take to get you into this car today, figure out what price they can get out of you, sit you in the cubical while the sales person goes to talk to the Sales Manager. Then the owner will come by, introduce himself and make sure you are being treated well, are ushered into finance, where you will be bombarded with extra cost options from undercoating to security systems to tire/wheel protection packages.

Buying a car is always more time consuming than we would like, however Tesla is committed to making the process as enjoyable as possible.

Things are much different now, than before the Model 3 roll out. I Ubered to the Fremont factory and entered a quiet waiting room with Tesla coffee, yogurt and pastries. Was shown the car and given a walk through. The charging and displays were explained and We were taken to a 1 hour guided factory tour to see how the cars were made. Then returned to the showroom where we signed some papers and they gave us a goodie bag with a hat and pen. Everyone was relaxed and professional. They obviously enjoyed their job. We then went back to the gift shop to select some branded merchandise.

Now understand, this when they were under intense pressure from the press. They were on the verge of Bankwuptcy, the paint shop was in chaos, because of the Model X doors deliveries were way behind, colors were being changed, new wheels were being rolled out, the Gigafactory was just beginning and batteries were always in short supply. Their stock was going up, but very erratic, the State of Nevada was under political pressure for offering Tesla incentives to build their plant, employees were moving from Fremont to Sparks Nevada, the seats were being redesigned, the 5 seat flat fold down rear seat was just being released, they were moving from Autopilot 1 to 2, additional cameras and sensor packages were being introduced and they had Union unrest people attacking Teslas non Union workforce.

Amazing that they were able to push through all that. Lots of FUD was being published...and yet this has been the most wonderful and life altering event that I have ever experienced.

While not perfect, this company and the cars that they are producing are not perfect, but they are Remarkable.

One of my favorite restaurants in in Cabo. The Giggling Marlin has a sign out front that says...If your service does not meet your high expectations, please lower your expectations : >) The people inside are generally having a blast.

Reactions: jsrawa
I certainly hope that you aren't bitching about 90 minutes. They didn't have to charge the car.
Sure, its not like there's a law they have to charge the car, but come on - common decency. You're buying a car thats around $60k give or take, you might have a long drive home. We're supposed to have to find a Supercharger on our first drive out? I'm picking up in a few days (if all goes as plans) and I can tell you I'll be really upset if my car is not charged. You may not agree, but I'm buying a car, not buying into a cult. I've dealt with so many dealers over the years, and not one of them has failed to fill up the tank for me.

Reactions: neroden
Sure, its not like there's a law they have to charge the car, but come on - common decency. You're buying a car thats around $60k give or take, you might have a long drive home. We're supposed to have to find a Supercharger on our first drive out? I'm picking up in a few days (if all goes as plans) and I can tell you I'll be really upset if my car is not charged. You may not agree, but I'm buying a car, not buying into a cult. I've dealt with so many dealers over the years, and not one of them has failed to fill up the tank for me.

Agreed. I worked for a dealership before. You almost always filled up the tank for a customer before delivery.

Last time I purchased my Jeep Grand Cherokee there was a $35 charge on the Maroney sticker for 10 gallons of delivery gas. That is what I got. Less than 1/2 tank.

So many times, when taking a demo ride it was like a Seinfeld episode, where we were worried about being able to get back to the dealership without running out of gas. Fuel indicator usually below the empty mark.

Saying this, I think all Tesla should come with their batteries filled to 80%. Healthy for the battery and that last few % ties up the chargers longer than necessary.

One of the joys of Tesla ownership is the first experience at a local Supercharger.

I had lots of anxiety when picking up mine. So many of those concerns went away when I first used the display and up popped all the available Superchargers on my route back to San Diego.