Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What wasn't said.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few interesting things that weren't said:

1. Elon said that supercharging is standard. But he never said that it would be free. As-in, the door is open for some sort of pay-per-use system. This makes sense, because when the cars get less expensive, I can see it attracting more people who will look at the SCs as a way to save money on power at home, rather than as a means for doing long distance travel.

2. Same with AP. He said, specifically, that the AP hardware is standard. He did not say that there would not be an optional cost to turn it on. I suspect this is a bit of "keeping the options open".

Last edited:
He did say that autopilot "safety" features would be standard as well. That indicates to me that the convenience features of autopilot will be an option. So I am guessing emergency braking type stuff will be standard, but the whole on ramp to exit auto driving might not be.

The supercharging wording was interesting. I think if it's not free, it will be a pay per use system. The way he worded it indicates to me that it's not going to be a up front cost like the 60kW

Reactions: Audrey
He did say that autopilot "safety" features would be standard as well. That indicates to me that the convenience features of autopilot will be an option. So I am guessing emergency braking type stuff will be standard, but the whole on ramp to exit auto driving might not be.

The supercharging wording was interesting. I think if it's not free, it will be a pay per use system. The way he worded it indicates to me that it's not going to be a up front cost like the 60kW

I agree re: the AP. By that time, emergency braking will be standard in most cars anyway. I expect that you'll have some basic functionality, but that the full deal will be an $XK software enable.

I think you people are reading way too much into the supercharging thing.

A perceived bait-and-switch dishonesty would be far worse than having said nothing at all.

Supercharging is a feature that gives Tesla a competitive advantage and exists for them to sell more cars. The cost is a pittance if it sells more cars. Charging for it would be stupid - being dishonest (or coy, or whatever you want to call it) about charging people for it would be stupider.

Wow, we got a bunch of lawyers here, micro-analyzing every word. Reminds me of when Bill Clinton was getting impeached and he said "It depends on what the definition of "is" is."

I wouldn't mind paying $1 or $2 to use a supercharger, I think that's only fair if we are getting supercharging ability for free, and it is still FAR cheaper then buying 15 to 20 gallons of gas and paying federal and state TAXES on the gas. Over time it will pay for itself and offset the cost of the electricity.

IMO, SC use should be a per minute charge, with a sliding scale. Haven't thought about it much, but .10 a minute for the first 25 minutes, with it increasing at 10 minute increments after that would discourage people from hogging an SC space for several hours while they shop or dine. They could even have an automated system that calls/texts your cellphone to warn you of the increasing rates. The rates might have to be even higher than that, to discourage the livery/taxi people and the locals from abusing it.

Well, there is this, supposedly from the Tesla PR team:
Not supposedly. Directly from the PR team. And I also pointed out to them the wording on the page that implied that supercharging was included in the base model. I didn't think they'd act upon it this fast though. Maybe they are trying to improve their communications. :)

My personal speculation? Musk wants to make it free and so he chose his words carefully: "all Model 3's will come with supercharging, standard". But the bean counters are running after him with a stick saying "We'll never make money on this thing. Do you realize how difficult it is to make a car like this for only $35,000!!!???"

I think they will charge a flat $2K for SC access with the base battery and include it free with the upgraded battery. Simple. And it matches the model they used for the 60 and 85 Model S.

But I think they also may have to clarify acceptable use in the buyer's agreement for S, X and 3 to try to minimize over-crowding. Maybe it's a simple as a sign on each bay that says "Long Distance Use Only" on 4 of the bays, and "Local/Long Distance" on the other 4 (assuming an 8 bay SC station). That way those who want/need to use them locally might have to wait, but it would be more likely that there would be stalls available for long distance travelers.

But that's probably too simplistic a solution.

I think you're all overthinking this. Supercharging as 'standard' means each car will be part of the network, for free. Elon has stated in the past that every Tesla will charge free for long distance travel. It's not changing. What is great though, about his wording, is that it's clear there is no fee for supercharging hardware.

Free for long-distance travel. Standard for all cars.

I think they will charge a flat $2K for SC access with the base battery and include it free with the upgraded battery. Simple. And it matches the model they used for the 60 and 85 Model S.

But I think they also may have to clarify acceptable use in the buyer's agreement for S, X and 3 to try to minimize over-crowding. Maybe it's a simple as a sign on each bay that says "Long Distance Use Only" on 4 of the bays, and "Local/Long Distance" on the other 4 (assuming an 8 bay SC station). That way those who want/need to use them locally might have to wait, but it would be more likely that there would be stalls available for long distance travelers.

But that's probably too simplistic a solution.

I also think the very basic Model 3 will be charged for access, higher end will have complimentary access to the Supercharger network. The Supercharger network as of right now cannot handle the enormous amount of Model 3 in a few years, even if Tesla doubles the number of Supercharger stations. As for a sign to compel people to exercise good judgement to allow others with higher priorities, that's not going to happen with great efficiency. There's bound to be greedy people who are going to use an excuse like, "my time is more valuable than the other person" or "who gives a $hit".