Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What were the chances I'd be there then?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Just after 14:00 Tuesday I checked and found Remonortsa (that's my car's name) was still on the delivery truck at the Tesla factory in Fremont, California. Owing to the circuitous route the trucks take to deliver several vehicles to several places on a single run I figured it would be several days before the truck got to the service center in Salt Lake. So when I got to the service center yesterday around 16:30 I only expected to do some paperwork and ask a few service related questions.

But a few minutes after arriving and while waiting for the service guy to come out front I saw a delivery truck bristling with brand new Tesla's pulling up. Suddenly I was jealous of the owner of the car that was being dropped off. In fact when the service guy came in I was joking when I asked if mine was the one being unloaded.

About then the truck driver brought in some paperwork. The service guy took the paperwork and asked what my vehicle ID number was. I read it off and he just sort of paused. A seemingly very LONG pause. And then said "It's yours".

Good thing there wasn't video running at the moment as I did quite the little jig that I'm sure would have been very embarrassing for me on YouTube (they said that's not an unusual reaction).

And so out I ran and got these pictures of Remonortsa being unloaded (all the white stuff is a protective film to protect the finish during transport) and one of the truck drivers got the shot of me sitting in the car for the first time.

Time, BTW, was 16:37. So since according to my phone records I placed the call to order the car on 18 March at 19:10 that means from order to butt in the seat was 41 days, 21 hours, 27 minutes (but who's counting). :)

Then the driver asked if I wanted to drive it. "Really!!!" But only around to the other side of the building. Oh, and he also had to show me how to bring the car online and how to put it in gear. I've so much to learn...

Alas, now I have to wait a few more days while they do a bunch of dealer prep and a final detailing. I may get to take her home tomorrow but probably not till next week.

Oh and with the weather being perfect and not wanting such nice flying weather to go to waste I headed for the airport and flew back over the service center and got an aerial shot showing Remonortsa waiting for her new human and new home.

1527.JPG
1528.JPG
1530.JPG
remonortsa.jpg

Oh wow! What a great story and wonderful pictures too. What does your car's name mean, if I may ask?

Read it backwards. :)

- - - Updated - - -

And here's the rest of the story:

SC said Wednesday there was a backlog at the detail who so while it was possible I'd have the car Friday it probably would not be ready until Monday.

So yesterday (Thursday) evening I get a text asking if I wanted the car then. Ya think?!? I said yes but added I'd not be able to get there before closing. He said he'd wait.

Raced into Salt Lake (I live out of town) and got there 90 minutes after closing. Despite that he spent a full hour and a half with me going through the features of the car. He finally left for home about 3 hours after closing. Wow! Talk about customer service. SLC Tesla Service Manger Bill Cosbey rocks!

I then sat in the parking lot for another 30 minutes. Partly going through the manual and party (mostly) getting up the nerve to drive off the lot and into traffic.

What followed was an hour or so of driving west on I-80 into the dark and experimenting with this n that. Kind of felt like when I'm checking out a new airplane for the first time.

Then my first stop at a supercharger for a "fill up". Funny but while there I saw a delivery truck full of Tesla's parked in the nearby motel's parking lot. Looks like several other soon-to-be Tesla owners are soon to be very happy.

And then home.

What a day!

Great new-owner story, Patrick. I love hearing about it when Tesla employees go the extra mile.

Inquiring pilot minds (there are loads of us here on TMC) want to know: what are you flying?

Just a little 4 seat Cessna. Actually the money for the car came from the account I was using to save for a bigger aircraft. In the end keeping the Cessna and buying the car seemed the more sensible choice.