TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What We've Been Waiting For....a little closer

Discussion in 'North America' started by EdisonFire, Jan 6, 2020.

1. EdisonFire

EdisonFire Member

2. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

Really? You think a significant number of people want to spend $4,000 to get power out of their car once in a while? They didn't say how much it would cost to isolate your house wiring from a failed grid either.

Personally, I agree with Elon and think stationary batteries are much more useful.

3. EdisonFire

EdisonFire Member

It was a first move in a good direction. The first flat screen TV's were outrageous in cost as were the first computers. One Powerwall @ $7,000 might also present a cost. If the cost for such a device described above was down to $500 in the future, it would certainly be a desirable solution for people that lose power. I have a lockout device currently on my circuit panel to shut service from the utility when power fails so I can power my house from a generator without back feeding electricity into utility power lines. Cost of that was $100 for the lockout.

• Like x 1
  4. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

The Sacramento EV club is having their first meeting of 2020 tomorrow. One of the presentations will be on "EV to House, Power Outage Support". I might not be able to make it, but I'll try and get minutes of the meeting...

• Informative x 1