Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What wh/m is your P85D getting NOT in range mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the P85D efficiency discussions lately have been focused on range mode, which seems to max out torque sleep. But what are people seeing these days for non range model efficiency, in normal driving? And if you had a previous MS, how does it compare to that?

Thanks in advance.

I see anywhere from 380 to 400. Though I think running the heater has an effect on this number as well that I am not very light footed. I also use TACC quite a bit so I see some pretty steep usage spikes just rolling to work and back.

So I guess I'm seeing the worst here:

I'm at about 535 Wh/mi for the life of the car...most of that is in range mode. I do a lot of city driving, and when I get on the highway I typically see it drop, but I'm usually well above 500, often in the 600 range when it's really cold

Holy cow that's high!! Do you think that's just from the temperature or do you also accelerate realllly fast too? At 535watts you must only be getting 140 miles of range?
So I guess I'm seeing the worst here:

I'm at about 535 Wh/mi for the life of the car...most of that is in range mode. I do a lot of city driving, and when I get on the highway I typically see it drop, but I'm usually well above 500, often in the 600 range when it's really cold

Holy cow that's high!! Do you think that's just from the temperature or do you also accelerate realllly fast too? At 535watts you must only be getting 140 miles of range?

Ha, I've yet to go over 100 miles without charging (again no long trips yet)

I don't accelerate really fast, I haven't even put it in insane mode yet. Winter has been brutal here. I'm hoping it's the weather plus the city driving factor. I'll have better gauge on things once it starts to warm up here.

A couple things are for sure: it's gotten better with the last few software updates, but it's still high. Energy use is really high when I begin driving after a long (hour plus) stop no matter how 'un-spirited' I drive, even if I hop right on the highway. This tends to lead credence to the weather being a big factor.

355 over about 4,000 miles since delivery 12/23/14. Driving consists of solo freeway commuting during rush hour in California Bay Area with four round trips to Lake Tahoe. Use TACC almost all the time. Insane mode on all the time. Temperature auto 68 degrees F in a mild winter so far where I've had frost on my windshield only once or twice. Regen standard. Have taken probably a dozen people on 3.2-second test drives, but otherwise it's been fairly ordinary driving.

I did notice a substantial difference in trip-prediction accuracy between 72mph (the normal TACC speed on the highway with my +7 speed-warning setting) and 69mph. So on longer road trips where I care about accurate predictions, I dial the speed down to 69.

I'm hoping it's the weather plus the city driving factor. I'll have better gauge on things once it starts to warm up here.

It's the weather, I'm rarely falling under 480-500wh/m in Alaskachusetts in the last couple of months. I've seen averages of ~650wh/m on my daily 15-20 miles trips when temperatures drop to what they are at the arctic circle.

It's the weather, I'm rarely falling under 480-500wh/m in Alaskachusetts in the last couple of months. I've seen averages of ~650wh/m on my daily 15-20 miles trips when temperatures drop to what they are at the arctic circle.

I DON'T have a D (S85), but I noticed just recently during the COLD winter here in Indiana, I barely get over HALF what it's charged up for.
My trip to and from work was less than 60 miles, and the charge when I left went from 225 to 110! It "should" have gone from 225 to 165.
But the cold kills it bad! Same battery, so thought this might help.

Scott

I DON'T have a D (S85), but I noticed just recently during the COLD winter here in Indiana, I barely get over HALF what it's charged up for.
My trip to and from work was less than 60 miles, and the charge when I left went from 225 to 110! It "should" have gone from 225 to 165.
But the cold kills it bad! Same battery, so thought this might help.

Scott

I figured as much, but it's comforting to hear confirmation from owners that have gone through the 4 seasons with their Model S's

355 over about 4,000 miles since delivery 12/23/14. Driving consists of solo freeway commuting during rush hour in California Bay Area with four round trips to Lake Tahoe. Use TACC almost all the time. Insane mode on all the time. Temperature auto 68 degrees F in a mild winter so far where I've had frost on my windshield only once or twice. Regen standard. Have taken probably a dozen people on 3.2-second test drives, but otherwise it's been fairly ordinary driving.

I did notice a substantial difference in trip-prediction accuracy between 72mph (the normal TACC speed on the highway with my +7 speed-warning setting) and 69mph. So on longer road trips where I care about accurate predictions, I dial the speed down to 69.

21" or 19" wheels? Ride height? Carbon spoiler?

I don't accelerate really fast, I haven't even put it in insane mode yet. Winter has been brutal here. I'm hoping it's the weather plus the city driving factor. I'll have better gauge on things once it starts to warm up here.

A couple things are for sure: it's gotten better with the last few software updates, but it's still high. Energy use is really high when I begin driving after a long (hour plus) stop no matter how 'un-spirited' I drive, even if I hop right on the highway. This tends to lead credence to the weather being a big factor.

Wow, I knew cold temps negatively impacted the battery, but I didn't know it was that much! I'm sure it'll significantly improve once it warms up. Luckily here in SoCal, we basically only have one season lol.

I've had my P85D for a week today, after ~460 miles I'm averaging ~360's. Warm/flat Florida but I'm cooling the cabin at 68 degrees F. I've got 19's and drive pretty spirited, launching plenty times for my own amusement and for rides to others :biggrin:

Last edited: