Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Wh/mi are you getting with AWD and P cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3P with 20 wheels and the sport tires.
340wh/mi over 400 miles life time.

Took me by surprise that the performance is this high wh/mi compared to the standard LR or AWD. Really can't be just the up sized wheels and tires. My 340wh/mi is even higher then most other M3P owners are reporting.

I am not driving super crazy, weather outside has been a perfect 78 degrees about. Usually just me as only passenger in the car.

I have called Tesla service and they said they would run a battery diagnostic test my car. Takes 4 days. I will report back then.

You left off your typical driving speeds :)

Reactions: Big Earl
I have about 600 miles on my P3D- with OEM 19" sport wheels. It's at about 290 Wh/m. I'm kind of disappointed with that. I use the acceleration all the time though, and I've done some spurts up to 90 mph and then used heavy braking. When I tried to be efficient on one trip it was about 260 Wh/m. That was up in mountain roads where you're generally at 50-60 mph with elevation changes. It isn't that much better then what I'd get with my 2014 P85 on 19's.

Looking for real world results so far. Personally interested in majority highway driving and what wheels you have.

I've got the performance Model 3 with 20 inch wheels. It seems to just bounce all over the place, just like an ICE car. If I'm hot dogging it, I can get it up to 600 or more Watt hours per mile, but if I'm really conservative, keep my speed down the highway, in an 8 mile typical errand trip I can hit 260 Watt hours per mile – That translates into about 130 MPGe. Our car is brand-new so it's got less than 100 miles and I suspect from what everybody's described our consumption will go down. Some people are describing low 200 Watt hours per mile on the Tesla S which is significantly less efficient, due to the model 3's DC motor which is more efficient. An interesting question is how do Watt hours per mile get translated into electric mpg? My understanding is that 33.7 kWh translates into 1 gallon of gas. That seems a bit biased in that even if you're only paying $.12 a kilowatt hour, that translates into a four dollar gallon of gas. At least the bias is against fossil fuels in this case. I'm surprised they didn't rig it the other way!

20" wheels will play a larger roll in higher power consumption, as a reminder.

That is really unclear, and I'm a bit skeptical that it's true. The 20s will come with high pressure Michelin pilot sport 4S tires which are low rolling resistance. There's really no difference in tire width across the various versions of Model 3, which is the bigger variable (super-wide tires look really cool but they just suck energy both from rolling resistance as well as aerodynamic drag), along with whether or not the tire is regarded as low rolling resistance. So I do not think that the 20 inch wheels result in higher energy consumption – unless you are trying to take advantage of their better traction envelope :p:p

M3P with 20 wheels and the sport tires.
340wh/mi over 400 miles life time.

Took me by surprise that the performance is this high wh/mi compared to the standard LR or AWD. Really can't be just the up sized wheels and tires. My 340wh/mi is even higher then most other M3P owners are reporting.

I am not driving super crazy, weather outside has been a perfect 78 degrees about. Usually just me as only passenger in the car.

I have called Tesla service and they said they would run a battery diagnostic test my car. Takes 4 days. I will report back then.

Same config and mine is about that when driving my usual style. I don't think there's anything wrong with yours but let us know what they say.

Try putting it in chill and try not to use the breaks (regen only) you will get much better wh/mi.

That is really unclear, and I'm a bit skeptical that it's true. The 20s will come with high pressure Michelin pilot sport 4S tires which are low rolling resistance. There's really no difference in tire width across the various versions of Model 3, which is the bigger variable (super-wide tires look really cool but they just suck energy both from rolling resistance as well as aerodynamic drag), along with whether or not the tire is regarded as low rolling resistance. So I do not think that the 20 inch wheels result in higher energy consumption – unless you are trying to take advantage of their better traction envelope :p:p

The larger open face of the wheels/tires would make a difference at speed, right? For instance the 18s with aero caps do better than 18s without the caps. It might just be due to more air being moved around as a larger area of the wheel is open.

Is the rolling resistance rating on the 4S tires comparable to the MXM4 tires? Maybe they're just low rolling resistance for tires in the same class.

I'll never get over people's resistance to believing what Tesla literally tells you, that the 19s and especially 20s have a significant adverse impact on your energy consumption.

Bigger rims = more unsprung mass = more energy to speed up and more suspension losses
Lack of aero caps = aerodynamic disaster zone (like most wheels)
Sport tires (yes, Tesla uses "stickier" tires on the 19s than the 18s, and even "stickier" on the 20s) = significantly draggier.

Amazing that people can refuse to believe this even when their own consumption numbers are staring them in the face. Are you not noticing that literally everyone in this thread who reported energy consumption figures over 300 and listed their configuration was on the 20 wheels, and the one who was nearly in the 300s was on 19" wheels? Hint: the aero wheels aren't called aero wheels as a joke.

You chose to ruin your car's energy consumption. If you regret your decision, buy a set of 18s with aero caps. If you think your decision was worth it, then be happy with your energy consumption. :)

I took my M3P+ (20" wheels with Pilot Sport tires) on a 46 mile trip this morning to test its efficiency. It was an out and back on the freeway, going between 65 and 75 MPH. I probably averaged around 69 mph. I got 296 wh/mi.

Outside temp: 55F, inside set to 66F with AC off.
Used auto-steer for more than half the time.
Tires started the day at 41 psi all around.
Just me in the car.

My trip with 4 in the car yesterday from Portland out the Columbia River Gorge and back, with some wind and rain on the way back to contend with, and averaging around 70 MPH over 285 miles was pretty bad, at 356 wh/mi.

I sure hope my car gets more efficient, but I don't know that it will. Makes me wonder if it's a bit out of spec, compared to what others are getting. I'd love to hear specifically from more folks with non-aero wheels & pilot sport tires - what efficiency are you getting?

View attachment 337368

I don't think your results are that far out Rex. If you are driving mostly highway, esp. if you like to goose it (how can one resist??) high 200s in whr/mi isn't really bad, esp with the 20s. Also, it takes a while apparently to break in the battery packs. What you might try is a secondary road drive, where speeds average 40mph or so, and see if you end up around 250 or under- assuming you can keep from goosing it regularly.

Still, it's a little disappointing. The cars still come with a 310 mile range listed. I expected my P3D- with 19" rims to do better than my Model S P85 with 19" rims. I guess the AWD/P setup is just worse for range? I'm going to take a longer road trip this weekend. I'll baby it, and see if it's any better.

I like the car, and it's got more power then my model S. It drives a heck of a lot better too. I might try throwing on my 18"s with aero's.

Last edited:
AWD non-P, 18" Aeros. Averaging 240wH/mi. A mix of City, city highways and out-of-city highways with Mountain driving. Most freeway driving is 70+ in the cities and 75+ outside.
Same driving with probably more city miles on our Model X after 30+k miles with 20" wheels is 345wH/mil

Reactions: KarenRei
Part 1 of daily commute. Non-spirited driving. EAP set to 71 most of the way, but some traffic. DC - Baltimore. P3D- 18 inch Aeros with caps taken off.Pretty good.
IMG_2967.jpeg

I just took delivery of the 3P with 20" wheels. I'm getting 330 Wh/mi. For comparison, I have a 2013 P85 Model S with 18" wheels. My lifetime average on that is 360 Wh/mi and during the summer I usually get around 330 Wh/mi. I'm a bit concerned with the power consumption on the 3 and S being so similar.

I don't think the model S came with 18" rims.

My P3D- with 19" sport wheels: This morning I turned off my AC and it made a surprising difference. Round trip (20 miles) to my house was 230 Wh/m, that is quite a bit better. Maybe they need to add a range mode on the model 3 like they do on the Model S..

I'm going to try a longer drive to Seattle this weekend, leaving my 19" rims on instead of changing to the 18" areos. AC is going to stay on when needed : p