Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Wh/MI - total range are you getting on you P3D- w/aeros?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a couple of weeks to go before I am scheduled to pick my P3D. I do a few road trip a year which was probably the major reason I did not opt for the performance package - I wanted to keep the aeros and maximize range.
Is anyone seeing close the LR Wh/MI rate or 310+ 100% range?

Most are reporting 250-260 wh/mi rates for the aeros at 65-70mph. By comparison, the RWD with aeros average 210-230 wh/mi for similar driving.

Efficiency drops significantly (300+ wh/mi) once you hit 75+ mph on the AWD and AWD-P.

When it is hot outside, running the A/C can account for 30 wh/mi or more, so lighter colored models with white seats and/or tinted windows have the greatest range.

Last edited:
I notice having the climate system on adds around 30 Wh/Mi. Is this normal?
Yes. It'll depend on factors, the major ones being how cold you want it, how many biological-based heaters (people ;) , they're constantly putting out warm, moist air ) you have in the vehicle, whether you put aftermarket heat blocking film on your windows, AKA 'tint', (side/back, some also do a [clear] one on the windshield), your location & season. Low latitude places like SoCal get noticeably stronger sun, Arizona = Tatooine, and the Gulf Coast has the sun + high humidity to fight.

Seat colour can matter to an extent but if you've got a top tier film all around then not so much.

Outside was 69 inside was set to 70. Then I set it to 75 still the same. It was raining so perhaps it was heating and cooling to reduce humidity? I'm still learning.
That wasn't the AC (cooling) then, that was the heater. Yes, the heater will suck electrons like a Hoover because it uses resistive heating (think like the electric space heater with the glowing red-orange coils). If the temperatures were reversed, 75F outside and you set inside to 70F it probably wouldn't cost you nearly the same amount of range.

I recently did a 800 mile trip from Seattle to Kamloops, BC and back. It is a mix of relatively flat and pretty mountainous highway driving plus a little bit of city driving, small day trip and a bunch of showing off the car (and acceleration) to friends and family. AC was on, but temps were in the 70 range, so not super high. I averaged 281 Wh/mi. On the way there I drove around the speed limit, and on the way back around 5-10 over. Speed limits range from 60-75 on the trip. I have the M3P- but I have the aero covers off.