Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What wheel setup would you prefer for your MS?

What wheel setup would you prefer for your MS?

• 19" Square

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • 19" Staggered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20" Square

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 20" Staggered

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 21" Square

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 21" Staggered

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20" square.

A) Nice look without the pothole or harsh ride issues of the 21"s
B) Square setup lets the MS steer fairly neutral -- staggered encourages understeer
C) Square setup lets you rotate in a rear-cross pattern to lengthen tire life, staggered limits rotation options.

Reactions: Bennny
19" square,
A) compared to any reasonable person, this is still "low profile", and with TST or Rial wheels, nobody can tell they aren't 21s without a side by side comparison
B) Square allows for tire rotation
C) 19" is far more comfortable a ride, and far less susceptible to damage than anything larger, and performs as well or better than 20s or 21s when equipped with the same model of tires.

Reactions: Fiver
Disagree with B) Staggered encourages understeer.

Quite the contrary. Not on the TMS. With staggered Turbines with 245/35-21 front and 265/35-21 rear, the car handles better and with less understeer than any other Model S, on both single motor or dual motor versions.

I used to drive squared Turbines and swapped the rear wheels to 9" wide Turbines with 265/35-21 Conti 5P CSI. The car does bends much better than previously and understeer is history. I drive a 85D with air suspension.

20" square.

B) Square setup lets the MS steer fairly neutral -- staggered encourages understeer
C) Square setup lets you rotate in a rear-cross pattern to lengthen tire life, staggered limits rotation options.

Completely disagree with A)

I changed to 21 inch Turbines for my winter setup because any 19" wheels look tiny on the Model S and ruins the aesthetics of the otherwise good looking car. Whether Rial Luganos or TST.

No need to do a side by side comparison with 21s unless you are old with very poor eye sight and lack aesthetic judgement.

19" square,
A) compared to any reasonable person, this is still "low profile", and with TST or Rial wheels, nobody can tell they aren't 21s without a side by side comparison
B) Square allows for tire rotation
C) 19" is far more comfortable a ride, and far less susceptible to damage than anything larger, and performs as well or better than 20s or 21s when equipped with the same model of tires.

20" square.

@SomeJoe7777,

I agree...I think that's the 'SweetSpot'.....no 21 cost/damage....looks better than 19's. Looks like you have the 20" TST's? Love that look....perfect in my opinion. Like the 21s but all the issues.

Ski

Disagree with B) Staggered encourages understeer.

Quite the contrary. Not on the TMS. With staggered Turbines with 245/35-21 front and 265/35-21 rear, the car handles better and with less understeer than any other Model S, on both single motor or dual motor versions.

I used to drive squared Turbines and swapped the rear wheels to 9" wide Turbines with 265/35-21 Conti 5P CSI. The car does bends much better than previously and understeer is history. I drive a 85D with air suspension.

I also have an 85D with air suspension.

I'd be interested in trying a staggered setup to feel the difference. Conventional wisdom says that more tread in the rear = better grip = less tendency for the rear to slide out and more tendency for the front to break loose = understeer. However, I'm not a suspension setup expert, and there's definitely other factors than this simple analysis.

I agree...I think that's the 'SweetSpot'.....no 21 cost/damage....looks better than 19's. Looks like you have the 20" TST's? Love that look....perfect in my opinion. Like the 21s but all the issues.

Yes, I have the 20x9" TSTs.

Looks like from above I may have to get two of the 20x10" TSTs and try a staggered setup. :)