Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will be considered a 2014 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S on order, and it hasn't entered the build phase yet. It is set to deliver in January. Let's say it starts building on December 27th and delivers on January 4th. Do I have a 2013 Model S or a 2014 Model S? Just curious!

I believe the date is set when the VIN is assigned as the model year is part of you VIN number. And if I remember correctly the VIN is assigned once the shell is built. Most likely though if the build starts on Dec 27th then it will be a 2013.

Bottom Line: The question of 'model year' doesn't make any difference for Teslas because nothing (and everything) is different. Tesla has created a paradigm shift - TM makes changes throughout the year - they don't wait for the end of a model year to improve the product in significant ways. We've ALL recognized that our car gets software improvements frequently (and free) and Tesla offers new hardware improvements when they become viable. Would we want it any other way?

My Car`s VIN Changed the day before yesterday to a 2014 VIN and yesterday it went into production.

So for EU-Car`s i think, is the day for the VIN crucial when it will be built together in Tilburg. For EU vehicles are indeed supplied without motor and battery to Tilburg and completed there first.

in Sweden what the car vendor says dont matter. its the registration that sets the model year here. meaning all cars delivered in 2014 will be 2014 model. yes it will influence second hand prices even if unlogical...

I ordered my car in early October and could have had it delivered in December but I elected to wait until January so it would have a 2014 model year. The VIN was assigned fairly early on and the MVPA (motor vehicle purchase agreement) clearly shows that it is a 2014 model year because it will be manufactured/delivered in 2014. I do believe that the model year has a definite impact on the resale market psychologically and the simple fact that a 2012 car is definitely older than a 2014 model even if they are identical in every other way.

I ordered my MS Nov 15 and asked for a 2014 model year. The tenth digit in your VIN tells the model year. A 2013 MS would have a "D" for the tenth digit, a 2014 MS will have an "E". I was at first given a VIN that was a 2013 model year but they changed my VIN number to reflect a 2014 build. I agree completely, the perception of most automotive buyers is the newer car is more valuable, market wise. I expect my MS to be delivered mid to late January, 2014.

I ordered my MS Nov 15 and asked for a 2014 model year. The tenth digit in your VIN tells the model year. A 2013 MS would have a "D" for the tenth digit, a 2014 MS will have an "E". I was at first given a VIN that was a 2013 model year but they changed my VIN number to reflect a 2014 build. I agree completely, the perception of most automotive buyers is the newer car is more valuable, market wise. I expect my MS to be delivered mid to late January, 2014.

Whoa. Looks like deliveries for the MS 2.5 mos now. I took delivery of my 2nd MS 1.5 wks ago and I ordered around the same time as you.

Scottie, you should double check by calling Tesla when you should expect to receive your MS.

I placed my order Nov 8 (a week before you) and asked for delivery in January (despite December having been a delivery option). I called today to ask about my order, and they said it would likely deliver Mid February. It's not set to start build until the last week of January or the first week of February. That would be a 3 month wait for me.