Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will be new range of model 3 after battery day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since battery day was supposed to be back in April I'm hoping that if they are using new batteries and put them in production awhile ago. And after battery day there will be a software update to increase range if that is the case. Maybe thats an overachieving dream.
I think suspecting they are secretly making completely new batteries in mass quantity from a facility that nobody has noticed or heard of, putting them in thousands of cars without anybody knowing, and secretly capping their capacity via software is quite a bit more than “overachieving dream”.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki and brkaus
I would not be surprised if we see a 345-mile rated Model 3 sometime before the end of 2021, but:

1) It won’t be due to the battery.
2) It will have the same actual range as the existing Model 3 under ideal conditions and the same energy available.
3) It’ll need to have a heat pump.
4) It’ll be using a different 2-cycle to 5-cycle scaling factor due to the heat pump giving better cold weather cycle results, so will magically get a better rating, like Model Y. It’ll just be more difficult to make that rating under ideal conditions. But it will most certainly do better than the current vehicle in chilly weather.

Maybe they’ll announce the 345-mile vehicle is in production (I thought I read something about Model 3s in Europe with heat pumps but have not been paying attention) on Battery Day and everyone will lose their sh** even though it has nothing to do with the battery?

Maybe in 2022 we’ll see denser batteries? No idea. Seems like they will need them for Cybertruck, for sure. Something has to give.

Last edited:
I think suspecting they are secretly making completely new batteries in mass quantity from a facility that nobody has noticed or heard of, putting them in thousands of cars without anybody knowing, and secretly capping their capacity via software is quite a bit more than “overachieving dream”.

Ah, but there is a new facility we have pictures and video of and we have pics of the new cell so while we can't expect them to be in every tesla, and we can't expect it to have been going on since April, it is possible they picked one model or two in California and started putting them in there some time in the last few weeks.

Reactions: teasla