Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will be the advantages for Tesla users if all Tesla charging stations become publicly available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electricity is a commodity, just like fuel for ICE cars. Just as there's no Ford gas station, there really shouldn't be any exclusivity in charging. It's an unfortunate side-effect of the multiple plug standards. In the future you can expect all stations to be able to charge all cars. As long as there are enough stations, it doesn't matter. Again, just like gas for ICE cars.
I really think it's odd that people think that charging is the same as pumping gas. It very clearly isn't. And it's not because of the current state of infrastructure.

The difference in refueling speeds means that the effect of dispenser failure and contention is _far_ greater with EVs. And the economics are very different.

It stands to reason that an exclusive charging network could offer significant benefits to users, independent of plugs.
Tesla's exclusive CCS2 charging network in Europe was a greater competitive advantage for car sales until they recently opened it up.

Reactions: Amudar
...and?

You don't have to drive a Tesla vehicle to have Tesla Solar Panels or Tesla Powerwall.
How do solar and a home battery make traveling in your EV easier?

The Supercharger network has helped to sell Teslas because it does that.
So the OP asked an obvious question of whether Tesla will continue to differentiate in order to encourage people to buy Tesla cars, so they make money both on the car (with substantial margin) and on the charging, instead of just making money on the charging.

How do solar and a home battery make traveling in your EV easier?

The Supercharger network has helped to sell Teslas because it does that.
So the OP asked an obvious question of whether Tesla will continue to differentiate in order to encourage people to buy Tesla cars, so they make money both on the car (with substantial margin) and on the charging, instead of just making money on the charging.
The mistake you make is that you have tunnel vision of the walled garden that Tesla built (in North America) that prevents Tesla drivers from fast charging elsewhere other than the Supercharger.

In Europe, plenty of Tesla drivers rarely charge at the Superchargers because they can fast charge elsewhere.

Reactions: srs5694 and GtiMart
All right, let's rephrase the answer based on the initial question : "What will be the advantages for Tesla users". In the short term, none, probably a slight disadvantage as stations are a bit more occupied. In the longer run, Tesla will build more (open) stations because they can get the govt grants. As a Tesla user, you will gain an even better coverage with fast and reliable chargers.

Reactions: cusetownusa
A few of your points don't make sense, because ALL Tesla stations can't become publicly available. They will have to build new stations (or additional chargers at existing stations) with the standard L3 EV connector, not a Tesla connector. So, non-Tesla users can't take up spots at Tesla chargers because they physically can't use the plug.
I don't think this is true. In Europe, Tesla retrofitted a lot of Superchargers (maybe all of them) to have both Tesla (Type 2 in Europe) and CCS2 plugs when they introduced the Model 3. In principle, they could do the same thing in North America, only with Telsa and CCS1 connectors. In fact, there's been vague reporting that Tesla is planning to use some sort of built-in adapter (called the "Magic Dock") to enable the Supercharger to serve both Tesla and CCS1 vehicles using a single cable. Something like that would probably be fairly cheap and easy to retrofit onto existing stations.

That said, I'm skeptical that Tesla will roll out such a solution quickly. In Europe, they've been doing it in stages, starting with the stations that have lots of capacity, so as to avoid the sort of full-station problems that so many people on this forum fear will completely ruin "the Tesla experience." I have no inside information, but if I had to place a bet, it would be that they'll do something similar in the US, initially reserving CCS1 support to new deployments (to take advantage of Federal and/or state subsidies) and to stations with lots of unused capacity. They may eventually provide CCS1 at all Superchargers, but not right away.

Going back to the original question, remember that you need not always be a Tesla driver. In a year, two years, five years, or whatever, you may buy a new car, and at that time, it will serve your interests to be able to charge it anywhere, no matter what brand you buy. Tesla adding CCS1 support to Superchargers means that you'll be able to pick between a Tesla, a Ford, a VW, or whatever, without concern that you'll be tied to a particular charging network (or excluded from one). This is a good thing for you as a consumer, even if you as a Tesla-driver-today see no benefit from Tesla opening up the Supercharger network now. Of course, some Tesla drivers today will buy Teslas as their next cars, but being able to cross-shop other brands is good, even if you think today that you'll never buy anything but a Tesla. Some other future vehicle may be compelling, and the competition is good for Tesla. Don't get so blinded by your short-term interests that you don't recognize your long-term interests.

Speaking of competition, this goes the other way. My understanding is that Tesla's Supercharger network is the most reliable of the DC fast charging networks. Thus, opening it to other brands will provide more direct competition, hopefully spurring improvements in reliability and customer experience for EVgo, Electrify America, ChargePoint, etc. This will be a good thing, even for Tesla owners -- with the help of adapters, Tesla owners can charge at these non-Tesla stations, so making them more reliable can benefit us, as well as help make a transition from a Tesla to a non-Tesla in the future easier, should that be in the cards.

I would say the only advantage would be that tesla would charge Tesla customers LESS and make those with other brands debate if they really want to spend the money. considering how busy I hear California is ALREADY the lines will be super crazy if all vehicles could charge at same price. I HOPE other companies will invest along with fed govt, that is one of biggest things holding EVs back right now.

I don't think this is true. In Europe, Tesla retrofitted a lot of Superchargers (maybe all of them) to have both Tesla (Type 2 in Europe) and CCS2 plugs when they introduced the Model 3. In principle, they could do the same thing in North America, only with Telsa and CCS1 connectors. In fact, there's been vague reporting that Tesla is planning to use some sort of built-in adapter (called the "Magic Dock") to enable the Supercharger to serve both Tesla and CCS1 vehicles using a single cable. Something like that would probably be fairly cheap and easy to retrofit onto existing stations.
You're right and I mistakenly thought OP was from America. Cable length is still an issue though. My wife's MME GT is a nightmare sometimes to plug in because of where the port is located and how the charging port door opens.

Opening up chargers to other EVs will make Tesla qualify for Federal Government $$$$$$$. With this money they can roll out thousands of more Superchargers.

I see that as one of the biggest benefits.

As well as access to sites. Suspect some public owned carparks still have said no to Tesla purely because of the walled garden approach.
(We've seen this in Australia with some local councils in small(ish) towns)

For Tesla owners there aren't any real benefits save perhaps the fact that increased traffic makes it more economical for Tesla to fill holes in their charging network. So (eventually) you'll have more chances to having a Supercharger when you need it.

For Tesla shareholders, it means non-Tesla owners get a taste of what it's like to own a Tesla. Watching other car owners come and go while you wait for your car to charge is very likely going to sell at least a few Teslas.

Tesla's mission is to accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation (plus a bunch more now), so in general, this is in line with Tesla's mission regardless of how profitable it is.

I do not know how bad it is in other contries than Sweden but in Sweden theres is a lot of chaos since the SuC network opened a couple of months ago.

- The biggest problem is that car with the charge ports at other positions can not connect the charge cable without parking so at least one other ( = two) Superchargers is blocked. Sometimes there have been cars blocking three chargers.
Teslas have left rear charge ports, and SuperChargers are set up for the cables to reach that part of a car that is backed in. Will the cables reach the front left of a car that is parked nose-in, or the right rear of a car that is backed in? Most non-Tesla EVs have front left or right rear charge ports, but some also have nose charge ports that should be easy to reach if parked nose-in.

In the US, allowing other EVs to charge would require adding CCS1 plugs to the SuperChargers, so they could presumably include cables long enough to reach other EVs' charge ports.

Reactions: AAKEE
Teslas have left rear charge ports, and SuperChargers are set up for the cables to reach that part of a car that is backed in. Will the cables reach the front left of a car that is parked nose-in, or the right rear of a car that is backed in? Most non-Tesla EVs have front left or right rear charge ports, but some also have nose charge ports that should be easy to reach if parked nose-in.

In the US, allowing other EVs to charge would require adding CCS1 plugs to the SuperChargers, so they could presumably include cables long enough to reach other EVs' charge ports.
In EU newer Teslas use CCS and thereby most other cars can connect if they can get the cable to reach…which means = chaos at the SuC stations as car is parked in any possible way, but most often not so Tesla can use the nearby charger.

- The biggest problem is that car with the charge ports at other positions can not connect the charge cable without parking so at least one other ( = two) Superchargers is blocked. Sometimes there have been cars blocking three chargers.

The new V4 superchargers designs seem to fix this.. they are taller and the cable curves around the outside making for a much longer cable.

So I'd say those are most likely to be rolled out in Europe first as replacements for V3 stalls with just CCS2 cables.

Of course it still doesn't help this issue of non-Teslas that can only charge at 50-100kW max. But maybe that can be addressed by pricing (Tesla already has the premium, but maybe add back a per-minute fee)

In the US I'd expect the same design with a long CCS1 cable and probably a slightly shorter TPC cable.

Chargepoint locations are all over the place.
Best summary I've seen is here thanks to @Chuq

Last edited:
The new V4 superchargers designs seem to fix this.. they are taller and the cable curves around the outside making for a much longer cable.

So I'd say those are most likely to be rolled out in Europe first as replacements for V3 stalls with just CCS2 cables.

Of course it still doesn't help this issue of non-Teslas that can only charge at 50-100kW max. But maybe that can be addressed by pricing (Tesla already has the premium, but maybe add back a per-minute fee)

In the US I'd expect the same design with a long CCS1 cable and probably a slightly shorter TPC cable.

Chargepoint locations are all over the place.
Best summary I've seen is here thanks to @Chuq
If charging station is full, everyone gets 45 minutes max.

Problem solved.

What will be the advantages for Tesla users if all Tesla charging stations become publicly available?

Will there be a price reduction for Tesla users?

What if non-Tesla users are taking up the spots at Tesla charging stations?

Will fast charging also be available for non-tesla users?
Already bad enough with Uber drivers hogging all the chargers and staying plugged in to 100%.