Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will be the new HP numbers for AWD and P after 12.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then you have invented new physics and should rewrite every book that I have read. I develop high-performance PM motors at work so I know some of this stuff...

e-motor_powercurve.jpg

a graph from Mclaren. The point where torque starts to drop and peak power is reached is called base speed.

Also: Tesla Model 3 SR+ Dyno Testing You can clearly see the constant torque area and power increasing until torque starts to drop. That's why cars have gearboxes. Power is just a product of torque x rpm. You need torque to accelerate.

Good read for beginners: Motor Control 101

Patronizing somebody after you misconstrued their comment just digs the hole deeper

@ch_model_s What you are saying is obviously true (I also understand how electric motors work). I'm not certain, however, that when Tesla says "power" they actually mean just "peak power." The last "5% power boost" resulted in more torque [measured as acceleration] across the entire power band. It's entirely possible that THIS time they actually mean JUST power [e.g. above the base speed] or they could be conflating acceleration performance [torque] with power again. Many people (wrongly...) think "more powerful = better acceleration under all circumstances." I think we'll just have to wait and see when the update is actually released widely.

My accelerometer data from the last boost:

upload_2019-10-28_11-19-26.png

Then you have invented new physics and should rewrite every book that I have read. I develop high-performance PM motors at work so I know some of this stuff...

e-motor_powercurve.jpg

a graph from Mclaren. The point where torque starts to drop and peak power is reached is called base speed.

Also: Tesla Model 3 SR+ Dyno Testing You can clearly see the constant torque area and power increasing until torque starts to drop. That's why cars have gearboxes. Power is just a product of torque x rpm. You need torque to accelerate.

Good read for beginners: Motor Control 101

I don't doubt that you know what you are talking about, but the battery/supply also has a influence on the output.

So in the above graph, you may be assuming an unlimited supply KW to the motor, but in reality, the KW supplied to the motor may well be capped below what the motor could produce - might be current or voltage limited. (Definitely, since P3D produces more that the others, with the same motor, and almost certainly ALL are capped for longevity reasons, Also, what do the motor in the S Performance produce?)

Would this have the effect of sifting this graph to the left, so that then the continuous power line would peak earlier/lower, and the drop off continues down.

So this looks like the right shape, but needs to be shifted to the left by 50%, so the base speed occurs at about 5K

The LR AWD graph would then 'artificially', flatten out both power and torque curves 15% lower.

What charge would be "intelligent and fair"? It would have to be at least the difference between the cost of the two versions without the performance package (at a minimum), and ideally, to keep people who actually purchased the P version off the bat, would need to be a little more than that delta to "reward" the people who purchased the P first from the factory vs upgrade.

Most threads on this topic of upgrading devolve into people thinking they should be able to purchase the upgrade for "a couple thousand" because "its just software".
It would have to be more than the delta between an AWD and Stealth P, just like adding FSD after delivery is more. You don't want to encourage people to buy the down trim version by letting them upgrade for the same price later.

I wish there were better numbers available for all the variants. I generally use the wikapedia numbers. They did update these after the last bump, and hopefully will after this next one. View attachment 470180
My SR+ was 3576lb
Surely someone has access to a dyno and can do a before/after before the next update? I'd love to see the two graphs overlayed. I'm confident that when Elon says 5% power increase, he isn't talking peak HP but rather 5% through the curve. Not that one is ultimately better than the other but I can see how optimizing the frequencies could result in an improved powerband but I'm less optimistic that optimizing the inventer can produce 5% more peak power.
We will do it. The last time there was a 5% increase, we didn't see it on the dyno.