Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will be the outcome of the current (09/2022) FSD Class Action Lawsuit?

What is your prediction on outcome of the lawsuit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not happy with how Tesla has behaved, but one of the biggest problems will be to define damages which is what Civil suits are all about. If not for the false statements how many people would have purchased FSD anyway? Also remember that FSD includes a lot of features other than “Navigate on Autopilot.“ Therefore, customers got a lot of value from FSD, just not the navigate feature.

This will be interesting to follow.

On the other hand? With Elon having narcissistic tendencies? It very well may go to court. Although the outcome would be similiar to ~60 cases that went to (multiple) courts by request of a certain other narcissistic (former) leader..and we see how 100% of THOSE cases turned out. 🤣

I think so as well BUT...I thought one of the main reasons Elon spent resources on hiring the in-house aggressive legal team..was to fight back, not give in.
We shall see

Elon hiring the "aggressive legal team" was designed to sound tough. It gives the impression that Elon is going to really fight back against Tesla's enemies which makes the TSLA bulls very happy. But at the end of the day, I think money speaks louder. If it is more economical to settle, Tesla will settle. It would be foolish not to.

A settlement is a win for Tesla.

Early FSD price was as low as $3,000. Refund the low price to early owners and sell the high price (currently, $15,000) to new owners, that's profits!
hmmm. I would have considered using the newly established "hardcore litigation team" of in-house salaried lawyers to fight it and either A)get it tossed out from the start or B)take it to court and WIN to be the options for "winning".

Not paying out many millions (like they had to do before) as the "win".

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart thing to do would be to get ahead of the lawsuit and allow those who want a refund to have it, and allow transfers of the license for those who choose to keep it, those two actions should satisfy most and could take a lot of the wind out of the lawsuit.

I think Elon will choose to fight this and will not settle, given his unwillingness to admit any fault in the SEC and Twitter lawsuits, he just seems too stubborn.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Are they even taking details from "victims" as this point? There is nothing to submit on the lawyers website as on now. It appears to be in the initial discovery phase and will ask for signups later or just request Tesla records and contact "victims" later.

Are they even taking details from "victims" as this point? There is nothing to submit on the lawyers website as on now. It appears to be in the initial discovery phase and will ask for signups later or just request Tesla records and contact "victims" later.
It's going to be awhile before people can join in. The suit has been filed. It has to go to court and a judge needs to see if there is enough evidence to warrant a trial - then the judge can grant class action status to the case, then records have to be pulled to identify the class involved. Then notices are sent to the class, then you can toss your name into the ring.

A normal company with a normal CEO would settle. But Elon will not, and it will cost the company millions more from a jury verdict. Even if Elon is right on the laws/regs, that won't much matter to a California jury who can stick it to the big bad corporation and rich guy. (Yes, many of of us believe Tesla is doing wonderful things for the environment, but that won't matter either.)

For example, CA is suing the company over racial discrimination, and based on the facts presented from both sides, is a slam dunk win for the State (based on state labor laws the Fremont plant easily meets the definition of hostile workplace). I applaud Elon for not bending over for frivolous law suits -- like most public companies -- but sometimes you gotta 'know when to hold them and know when to fold them'. I gotta believe that his legal team has explained all this to Elon and he has rejected their advice.

fwiw: not an attorney, but handled numerous labor cases (with top outside counsel) for my former CA employers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2101Guy
Seriously. People here think the TMC demographic represents the majority of tesla owners. People just come here to complain. The vast majority of tesla owners are happy.

Nothing will come of this.
Like “nothing came of” the other two known FSD lawsuits that Tesla didn’t win and had to settle? Or this one will be different? Just getting clarification

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremymc7

Oct 25 - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) is under criminal investigation in the United States over claims that the company's electric vehicles can drive themselves, three people familiar with the matter said.

The U.S. Department of Justice launched the previously undisclosed probe last year following more than a dozen crashes, some of them fatal, involving Tesla’s driver assistance system Autopilot, which was activated during the accidents, the people said.

As part of the latest probe, Justice Department prosecutors in Washington and San Francisco are examining whether Tesla misled consumers, investors and regulators by making unsupported claims about its driver assistance technology's capabilities, the sources said.

The Justice Department’s Autopilot probe is far from recommending any action partly because it is competing with two other DOJ investigations involving Tesla, one of the sources said. Investigators still have much work to do and no decision on charges is imminent, this source said.

The Justice Department may also face challenges in building its case, said the sources, because of Tesla’s warnings about overreliance on Autopilot.

In July this year, the California Department of Motor Vehicles accused Tesla of falsely advertising its Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capability as providing autonomous vehicle control. Tesla filed paperwork with the agency seeking a hearing on the allegations and indicated it intends to defend against them. The DMV said in a statement it is currently in the discovery stage of the proceeding and declined further comment.

The Justice Department may also face challenges in building its case, said the sources, because of Tesla’s warnings about overreliance on Autopilot.
I think several NHTSA investigations ended with this - there are warnings after warnings on the Teslas about the driver maintaining control and paying attention. Some people that have claimed that AP was engaged were found not paying attention, despite the "nags" from the system. I think the warnings are what's saving Tesla right now on accidents.

The false advertising is another matter, and they may need to change the language to something like:

Tesla Driver Assist [this would be AP]
Tesla Enhanced Driver Assist [this would be EAP]
Tesla Premium Driver Assist [this would be FSD]

Or something to those effects.