Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will Elon say about Model X during Q2 earnings call on August 5?

What will Elon say about Model X during Q2 earnings call on August 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to know how production (or deliveries!) could start on a car that hasn't been configured by a single customer,
You don't have any way to know that this is true. Only that you haven't seen a configuration tool. As has been speculated many times, Founders (and possibly early Sigs) could have very easily configured offline.

when it takes at least 30 days (based on the Model S) to get each customized vehicle out the door.
Also not true - it takes 30 days min for a Model S order to work through the pipeline, but the actually build process is much shorter. Estimates I've seen around here are ~ 7 calendar days of actual build time.

I'd love to know how production (or deliveries!) could start on a car that hasn't been configured by a single customer, when it takes at least 30 days (based on the Model S) to get each customized vehicle out the door.
I've proposed that what they are producing isn't for customers just now here: [rumor] Factory is shut down this week to start X production next week - Page 5

. It just might be the final release candidates, founders, loaners, test drive, and store demo fleet.

Pretty sure that Founders are customers.
Yes for sure. I should of copied my quote instead of typing. To clarify I meant founders at the end of producing non-customers ones.
If they do indeed start producing Model X next week, perhaps they will be final release candidates which could get used as demo/loaner/test drive vehicles. Maybe some founder vehicles at the end.

I'd love to know how production (or deliveries!) could start on a car that hasn't been configured by a single customer, when it takes at least 30 days (based on the Model S) to get each customized vehicle out the door.

Maybe they don't really get to make any choices. When the new XC90 Limited Edition was released, I don't think there were any choices but they still sold all 1927 of them rather quickly.

You don't have any way to know that this is true. Only that you haven't seen a configuration tool. As has been speculated many times, Founders (and possibly early Sigs) could have very easily configured offline.
Maybe they don't really get to make any choices?

There's a lot of wishful thinking on this forum! (I remember even reading posts last year trumpeting how the Model X release was "imminent.") But for now I won't squash anyone's hopes and dreams about the August 5th announcement and current factory retooling. But I will surely be back to say "I told you so" if/when the Model X is delayed again. There's nothing coming out of Tesla that gives me any confidence that Model X will be released in Q3 (perhaps aside from ~10 units to "prove" Elon's statement correct). And there's no chance my wife will get hers until 2016, even though we have a reservation below 5,100.

I still remember how Tesla delivered 10 Model S units in June 2012 and then didn't deliver anything else until around August! In case none of you remember Tesla's August 6, 2012 announcement: 2012 Tesla Model S: 50 Cars Built, 29 Delivered, Maker Says

There's a lot of wishful thinking on this forum! (I remember even reading posts last year trumpeting how the Model X release was "imminent.") But for now I won't squash anyone's hopes and dreams about the August 5th announcement and current factory retooling. But I will surely be back to say "I told you so" if/when the Model X is delayed again. There's nothing coming out of Tesla that gives me any confidence that Model X will be released in Q3 (perhaps aside from ~10 units to "prove" Elon's statement correct). And there's no chance my wife will get hers until 2016, even though we have a reservation below 5,100.

I still remember how Tesla delivered 10 Model S units in June 2012 and then didn't deliver anything else until around August! In case none of you remember Tesla's August 6, 2012 announcement: 2012 Tesla Model S: 50 Cars Built, 29 Delivered, Maker Says

Good to keep your feet on the ground. I'd just add that there is NO August 5th announcement as of today...There is an earnings report and conference call; this thread is pure speculation on what might be but there could just as easily be nothing said.

Good to keep your feet on the ground. I'd just add that there is NO August 5th announcement as of today...There is an earnings report and conference call; this thread is pure speculation on what might be but there could just as easily be nothing said.
It's a sure bet something will be said, as every shareholder letter and conference call includes at least some reference to Model X. Whether it is something of substance is another matter, but with deliveries as close as they supposedly are, I don't think Tesla can get away with a simple vague statement either here or with the analysts.

The date for the event where they will reveal the production version of the Tesla Model X will be in September 2015. And deliveries will start a week or two after this event. But production will already have started in August 2015. That's what he will announce on the Conference Call on August 5th 2015.

We will at least get to know more about when exactly this event will take place. During the conference call he will be asked questions about this event, that's for sure. It will be time to let the cat out of the bag. And it will be very odd if he tells us nothing about this event.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a sure bet something will be said, as every shareholder letter and conference call includes at least some reference to Model X. Whether it is something of substance is another matter, but with deliveries as close as they supposedly are, I don't think Tesla can get away with a simple vague statement either here or with the analysts.

Exactly

Also not true - it takes 30 days min for a Model S order to work through the pipeline, but the actually build process is much shorter. Estimates I've seen around here are ~ 7 calendar days of actual build time.

If it's true, it means we're still at least 30 days away from mass production / semi-decent ramp. This isn't like the Model S, where it's several months of a miniscule small ramp--they can't call customers one by one for configuration.

The Model X is definitely delayed for large-scale ramp, it's just a matter of whether it's a small or a large one.

Perhaps on the August 5th earnings call, Elon will let us know what day this month the Model X configurator went live? After all, on the Q1 conference call that's what he said would probably happen...

Jeff Evanson (VP of Global IR): Elon, you want to talk about Model X? Have had a number of questions from investors, and Ben's question here, about when you will be able to configure Model X online, when we'll show that to the public, how that actually deploy?

Elon Musk (Chairman & CEO): Yes. Probably three months from now -- no, actually, I'm sorry. We're in May. So it's -- this is -- probably July is when we'll ask people to do the configuration. It will be very similar to the S. It's not going to be super -- no big surprises there. Very similar to the S. We certainly have a lot of customers who've been waiting a long time. So there will be quite the need to get the car.

There's also this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2015/05/07/teslas-elon-musk-explains-upcoming-model-x-production-ramps/

“The thing that really matters is not…when do the first deliveries of the X occur, but rather when do significant deliveries of the X occur,” he said. “And for the [Model] S, we had quite a long ramp from – like six months from the very first deliveries to a significant volume. We’re trying to compress that to maybe two months or three months at most. Cut that in half or more for the X. And we want to make sure we’re really delivering a product that has been thoroughly validated in hot and cold weather and through millions of miles of travel and everything,” Musk said.

He went on to explain that Tesla would like to avoid problems that have impacted the Model S. (A topic he also touched on when discussing the future 200-mile range $35,000 Model 3, saying production would begin in “late 2017″ after “showing off” the Model 3 in March 2016.)

So it would be easy for us to kind of do some initial deliveries [of the Model X] in August. That would be pretty easy. But then, we don’t want to have, like, – we have had door handle issues, like people are aware of that with the S. They don’t want to have buckling door issues with the X. We want to iron everything out and make sure it’s good and then deliver at high volume.” Musk also mentioned that customers may be able to do “configuration” of the Model X in July.

There was a lot of overly-optimistic wishin' and hopin' on this forum for that, too!

Based on the shareholder letter it looks like "Model X is on track for first deliveries in about 2 months" is going to be the winner! Maybe Elon will drop a new crumb about when the design studio will open .. that is if he remembers what month it is.