Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will FSD look like when fully released?

What will FSD look like when fully released?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes only works under certain conditions including slow speed and ONLY on certain limited access highways.

At present Tesla's FSD Beta doesn't even work at all on highways (hope this is outdated in just a few days). Also Tesla is building a system that works everywhere and not just a few select roads under select conditions. While it is still too early to tell when or if Tesla will make L3 but it WILL be L3 everywhere and for all your driving.

Mercedes system is a limited dead end system that won't progress to city streets.

So saying one is ahead of the other is not a fair comparison. I prefer Tesla's EVERYWHERE approach over extremely limited highway only approach.

Tesla should enable this feature for these conditions while the rest is Level 2 until it's good enough. Or is it not even good enough to have hands off in these specific conditions?

Well Mercedes has hands off in traffic, Tesla doesn't. so i guess the orange is ahead of the apple ? 🤷‍♂️

It probably depends how much you value a system being hands-off. If that is your number one metric then you might think the Mercedes system is ahead of Tesla. But as others have stated, the Mercedes system is very limited compared to Tesla. The Mercedes system only works at low speeds, on certain highways and I believe it also requires a lead car. The Mercedes system is only "hands-off" in very limited cases, like stop and go traffic on the highway. So in that regard, it is not ahead of Tesla since Tesla's FSD can be used in much broader cases. It is not really possible to say that one is ahead of the other. They are different systems that work in different cases.

It probably depends how much you value a system being hands-off. If that is your number one metric then you might think the Mercedes system is ahead of Tesla. But as others have stated, the Mercedes system is very limited compared to Tesla. The Mercedes system only works at low speeds, on certain highways and I believe it also requires a lead car. The Mercedes system is only "hands-off" in very limited cases, like stop and go traffic on the highway. So in that regard, it is not ahead of Tesla since Tesla's FSD can be used in much broader cases. It is not really possible to say that one is ahead of the other. They are different systems that work in different cases.

For people in rush traffic that is a lot of value. I am a fan of the generic approach , but it's a matter of waiting 10 years for something vs having something that's useful right now during the car's lifetime.

For people in rush traffic that is a lot of value. I am a fan of the generic approach , but it's a matter of waiting 10 years for something vs having something that's useful right now during the car's lifetime.

I get that. I am just saying that it is hard to say that one is better than the other. It depends on what you value most. Some people will value the Mercedes system, especially if they often deal with rush traffic. Others might value the Tesla system.

I get that. I am just saying that it is hard to say that one is better than the other. It depends on what you value most. Some people will value the Mercedes system, especially if they often deal with rush traffic. Others might value the Tesla system.

What counts is what is offered right now, vs in the far future, something tangible to use. Everyone's a winner when it's on paper or promised.
Why not have both? Put it through it's motions to be approved for that subset of features.

Last edited:
What counts is what is offered right now, vs in the far future, something tangible to use. Everyone's a winner when it's on paper or promised.
As someone who lives in the middle of a city/urban area I want FSD Beta since Mercedes has nothing to offer. And the times I do drive on Interstate or highways I'm fine with NoA especially since it works above 36MPH/60KPH and on any highway regardless of traffic. In the US on highways unless we are stuck in traffic then the traffic is moving well above 36MPH/60KPH making the Mercedes system moot.

Reactions: Dewg
As someone who lives in the middle of a city/urban area I want FSD Beta since Mercedes has nothing to offer. And the times I do drive on Interstate or highways I'm fine with NoA especially since it works above 36MPH/60KPH and on any highway regardless of traffic. In the US on highways unless we are stuck in traffic then the traffic is moving well above 36MPH/60KPH making the Mercedes system moot.

You, sir , are 1 data point . Of course we want ir all, but me who is another data point would like it in rush traffic so i don't need to tug the wheel all the damn time. And the fact that there is rush traffic means that i am not alone sitting there. 🙂

People are different but there doesn't have to be an either / or. Why not approve one part so people can get some quality of life improvements and unleash the features that actually are allowed ? why no hands free on motorways like Cadillac ?
Or is it simply not even working in these supposedly trivial scenarios ?